PDA

View Full Version : Surgery next week - terrified

sezios
01-03-11, 22:20
I don't know whether I'm posting this in the right place or even if it's right for NMP. I am scheduled to have an oophorectomy next Wednesday. I am so scared of having surgery. I am tearful all the time and keep thinking I should cancel the op. I have an ovarian cyst that has been the same size for years but a recent CA125 blood test was elevated and so my consultant has recommended removal of both ovaries. I guess I'm just after some reassuring words that I'm going to OK. As an anxiety sufferer I always think the worst will happen with everything. I'm driving my husband mad with my constant worrying and this op is making things worse than ever. I suppose I'm using this forum to get some of this off my chest!

ElizabethJane
01-03-11, 22:42
You'll be fine hun. You are facing major surgery whether it is keyhole or open surgery and your anxieties are natural for anyone in this position. It is perfectly acceptable for you to post about your anxieties concerning your future operation. Will you have to attend the hospital for a pre-op this week? If that is the case then write down some of these anxieties and hopefully they can be addressed before next Wedesday. I thought about my own mortality when I faced major surgery in 2007 but everything was fine. You might want to discuss pain relief with them so that you are not too uncomfortable after the op. You might want to pack a bag full of 'goodies' to have whilst in hosptial. Mine would include some lip balm as my lips get very dry after surgery, your ipod, a cooling water spray, a small hand held fan. I sure that you can think of some others? Try to arrange something good to do this week like a massage or a lunch with your girlfriends Please keep posting and let us know how the operation goes. EJ

sezios
01-03-11, 23:03
I had pre-op assessment last week. The nurse was very calming and I felt reasonably confident at the time but soon after I left the hospital I went right back to feeling scared! I live on a small island and we have to go to the mainland for hospital treatment. This adds to my worries because my husband won't be able to come with me as he can't get time off work. Although I will be taking my daughter away with me so my mum (who lives on the mainland) can look after her, so they will be able to visit. Thank you for your advice on things to take in with me and the massage idea is great, if ever I needed relaxation it's now! I think you responded to another of my posts a few weeks ago when I first found out I was gong to have this surgery, thanks. I'd forgotten I had posted that thread until after I'd posted here!

sezios
27-03-11, 17:04
Well I had my ovaries removed and all went well. Cant say it was stress free because I was absolutely terrified and tearful right up to being given the anasthetic! Now recovering, although as a sufferer from health anxiety I am worrying about every little ache and pain, convinced I'll get DVT post surgery. AND the bad news is, my consultant phoned on Wednesday to tell me that the results of the womb biopsy that was taken during surgery now means I have to have a hysterectomy in May. Can't believe that I have to go through all the surgery worry again and for a bigger op this time. I am gutted. Especially as I said I would rather have it all done at once if there was the slightest chance I would have to have a hysterectomy in the future. But there is nothing I can do about it now except worry. And I will be doing lots of that :weep:

ElizabethJane
27-03-11, 22:43
Dear Sezios I'm glad that your operation went well. I'm sorry that you will have to have a hysterectomy as well. Did your consultant tell you what type of surgery you will be having? Try to rest now. I will try to answer any questions you might have about TAH which was mean't to be TVH but unable to proceed because of adhesions. EJ.

shoegal
28-03-11, 04:38
I'm sorry you need to have another operation. At least you know the procedure this time and you know you will be fine despite the anxiety.
Well done for coping with the last operation. You did really well. Stay strong. :flowers:

sezios
23-04-11, 18:57
So here I am again! now just1 week and 3 days until my 2nd op in 8 weeks :weep: and I'm just as terrified as the last time, probably more because it's all still so fresh in my mind. And to complicate matters I have a tooth infection. Have been on penicillin for 3 days but no improvement yet. So I guess there's a chance it will all be postponed anyway and I don't want that either!! wnat to get it all over with now. Can you have a general anaesthetic safely with a tooth infection???? anybody know?

eeyorelover
24-04-11, 05:47
An infection shouldn't have any effect on anesthesia. They might postpone it tho depending on what kind of surgery it is until you finish the antibiotics.

I know surgery is scary! I just went thru one to have my gallbladder removed about 3 weeks ago!
Remember to bring someone supportive with you and ask as many questions as you need to in order to feel more comfortable.
(((HUGS)))
xxx
Sandy