PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into work, excuses used for time away?

Scrubmuncher
02-03-11, 01:49
I'm sure the majority of anxiety and lasting relating problems are self brought on in some way, whether it be a history of drug use, drinking, a long period of time out of work, sitting around vegetating ones self into over thinking, over analysing and eventually self pity about the state of ones life and it all feels like we're up against it in some way. When the reality for the majority is it has been self induced albeit without the self realisation. I notice this in the vast majority of cases I read about, or in some have experienced.
I plan on trying to re enter the workforce but with it being so long since I have worked am not sure how I can explain I've been somewhat unwell without telling them I have had mental health issues, at this moment with employment being as it is I don't think I would stand a chance in hell of landing a job should I tell the truth.
This includes me and I plan on forcing the issue, heading head on into the fire and just dealing with my fears, I'll fall but I'm prepared to take it on the chin, do my best to get up and confront the next assault on my nerves. I have to do this as the realisation that life is passing by so quick and before I know it I will be on my deathbed and wondering how I have accomplished nothing, why I have had no one to visit me and saddest of all no one but immediate family at my funeral, no one to miss me as no one knows I exist. This is beginning so much more real now I'm getting older and like I have said, accomplished nothing.
Has anyone crossed this hurdle successfully and can you advise on methods and excuses used.
Cheers,
Scrub

eight days a week
02-03-11, 02:01
For me it's not brought on oneself at all - far from it (even though I'm relating to a lot of the factors you mention)!!

I also relate to your feelings and worries about returning to work, SM :(

However, I have support in this from:

- A vocational advisor at the NHS centre I attend for CBT (referred by my therapist).

- Similar advice and support from someone connected to my benefits adviser (from my local mental health centre).

- The Shaw Trust (if I want) - a charity who deal with this very issue here in the area where I live - recommended by my Occupational Therapist (also accessed from my local mental health centre).

All are determined, and confident, that my problems won't affect my future prospects, if I'm determined myself. Do you have any similar resources you can tap into?

Best wishes :)

Scrubmuncher
02-03-11, 04:34
Not really, although not for want of trying. I personally don't get support from speaking to strangers about it, certainly not on a forum, I use the forum to remind myself I'm not the only one who feels like I do. Been through all the mental health lines thrown out for me over the last 25 years and come to my conclusion that it doesn't help. The nature of the beast being very selfish, meaning one thing the majority have in common is that it is all about ourselves when it is going on, desperate to find any road out of the situation for that moment, I get wrapped up in myself, makes a normal nonresident day into dramatic day just talking about my emotions and so I avoid it.
This is why I am convinced for the majority it is self brought on by over thinking, being overly self absorbed, we shouldn't need to think so deeply about a situation in this way, whatever way it is that brings us to that point.
My conclusion is made up of many years of being around people and living it myself and all have the same thing in common. To me it is obvious, how to control it is the problem.
After all, the attacks are fundamentally a thought process and we are all in control of our own thoughts and so put ourselves there. Why do we go there is the question. If we believe we are not in control of our own thoughts then it is a different problem, or another problem along with or besides what eventually becomes anxiety, or panic.

macc noodle
02-03-11, 06:59
Wow - such self awareness scrubmuncher!

The ability to analyse and be able to process this demonstrates quite clearly that you would be well placed to find some work since it would allow you to use your obvious intelligence to the benefit of others.

By the way, I do believe that there is either a Bill in process or already law that you prospective employers are not allowed to force you to declare any mental health issues and access your medical records to check this - or maybe I have just imagined this and it is wishful thinking ?

In any event, I would highly recommend that you consider voluntary work to get a little experience of being back in the work place under your belt.

Also, I would ask at the JobCentre if there are any access courses you can attend in order for you to prepare for returning to the workplace.

Finally, there is that old saying "nothing ventured, nothing gained" and you could fire off a batch of letters to local employers offering your services.

Good luck!

:)