PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to delay a period?

daisycake
02-03-11, 20:48
At really short notice, I mean can I take the morning after pill or something? It's just that I'm due my period in the next fortnight - and on the 11th I've got an appt with the gynaecologist. Been told if I don't take that appt they might not see me til the 26th - and I've been waiting a while so I really do want to take the one on the 11th. I know though that I'll have my period on that day, my body always does that. Having gone through the indignity of my GP poking around at that time of the month I really don't want to have to go through that again with gynae. GP was very calm and reassuring about it all - but I know from previous experience that gynae can be a lot more abrupt and they don't really seem to have the time to worry about whether you're nervous or uncomfortable etc.. I'm worried enough as it is as it's to discuss an op, the building is also bang in the middle of the city centre, which I avoid like the plague due to crowds and tall buildings.. So not having my period that day would be really helpful but I've no idea how, or even if I can, delay it or hurry it up, so that I'm not bleeding that day... I'd use a tampax but they hurt too much :blush:! Am dithering over phoning my GP tommorow as it is - I only saw her on Monday but forgot to ask a few things so is it worth asking her about this?

Though my mum has just suggested asking my GP if they can push the appt forward. That may make it easier.. My mum's offering to come in with me too - well I asked her, but only to sit in the waiting room! - and wants go get a pizza after or something but to be honest it's going to be hard enough just getting myself to gynae. She wants to get the bus - and I want to get a taxi right to the door... which is stupid but I'm so nervous.

Many thanks for any advice offered xx

diane07
02-03-11, 20:53
You can't take the morning after pill, are you on the pill at all?

daisycake
02-03-11, 20:57
No, was taken off it as they thought I was intolerant - sent my periods haywire and I never remembered to take it.. Have tried Northisterone too but was taken off that after a couple of months as well for similar reasons..

Tish
02-03-11, 21:37
I used to take northisterone for a short time if I wanted to delay a period for a holiday. I just started it a few days before my period was due and came off it after my holiday. Good luck.. T x

Dahlia
03-03-11, 10:45
Maybe try calling the gyn office and ask to speak to a nurse. Explain the situation and ask if there is anything you can take to delay your period. I have a feeling there is something, but I can't be sure.

Lissy43
03-03-11, 10:48
Yes you can, your GP can give you a tablet to take to delay it and once you stop it your period should arrive.

Good luck.

daisycake
03-03-11, 18:42
Thank you guys :D have been prescribed northisterone to take if I really want it - if my periods haven't started by Wed or maybe Thurs I'll take it (simply because me and that drug don't go well together and periods should be lighter if they started early in the week..). Gp did say though that having my period should have no effect on whether they can do an examination or not though.