PDA

View Full Version : Gastroscopy tomorrow morning - scared I won't be able to go through with it

miggymoggy
03-03-11, 14:26
Am having sedation but how sedated will I be? Will I know what they are doing? Am also dreading the results in case it's anything awful.

Horse
03-03-11, 15:04
Speaking from experience of 4 or 5 Endoscopies, I don't even remember who drove me home afterwards let alone what happened!

nomorepanic
03-03-11, 15:33
As I understand it you know what is happening at the time but then you forget it afterwards like Horse said.

I have always opted for procedures without sedation as that alone scares me but it depends on whether you can tolerate what they are doing without being sedated.

uk23
03-03-11, 15:42
Remember to ask them for sedation as soon as you get there, during the last one I had booked they kept me waiting over 2 hours as the person doing it was delayed, my anxiety built up and I walked out. Thinking about it afterwards I realised that I had no idea why I was scared, its a harmless 2 minute thing.

alicegreen
03-03-11, 15:59
You will be awake enough to cooperate with the procedure and swallow, but will not remember it afterwards. Most people think they have been completely put to sleep as the drugs used contain an amnesic.

Good luck x

countrygirl
03-03-11, 17:17
Having experience of 3 gastrosocopies and talking to a gastroenetrologist who explained everything he said always always ask for max sedation. The sedation which is a type of valium that erases your memory is in a dose from 1-5 and ask for max dose which is what I did everytime. This means that you have no memory whatsover of the proceedure whereas when I had dose of 2 for a colonoscopy I was totally aware throughout the proceedure but over next few weeks forgot large parts of it but it was not as good as having the max dose as you know nothing until someone is suddenly talking to you - apparently you are awake all the time and may even be conversing with the Drs nurses but you have no knowledge of this which can sound very scary but it is very short acting and you feel lovely and calm and happy for about 10 mins as it wears off!

uk23
03-03-11, 18:08
Not sure what I had but was told it was diazepam, have full memory of the endo and was sleepy for about 6-7 hours afterwards.

joans60
03-03-11, 21:14
Hi there
You will be fine
I have had 3 endoscopys and had sedation evereytime
I could not remember what went on
I did go private for mine and I think they always give you sedation.
Let us know how you get on.
Good Luck.

Joanxx