PDA

View Full Version : High Blood Pressure in Doctors Office =(

Mark801
04-03-11, 00:13
Hey guys,

So today was the first visit to my new doctor and I was absolutely terrified!:weep:

I was panicking since last night but it was worse when I got there. I had my blood pressure taken and for the first time, my blood pressure was high at the docs office and so was my pulse. Usually even when I saw my previous gp, my blood pressure would be normal(110-120/70-80) but my pulse would be racing at about(100-120).

But today I was a total mess with my anxiety and my reflux was reallty acting up which only made me more anxious. I sat down to have it taken and it was 158/85!!!!!! and pulse was 130!!!:ohmy:

The nurse asked if I was nervous and I told her that I was very nervous. She waited a minute to retake it and it went down to 128/82 but my pulse went to 120.

I'm only 21 and 've never had this happen before and I'm absoultely terrified that I'm having heart issues now. I talked to the new gp and she gave me a prescription for 30 xanax but is referring me to a psychiatrist for some long-term meds for a while. She also listned to my heart/lungs and said all was fine but I'm scared I'm not. I also have blood work scheduled for the next few days.

And I'm home now and I can't stop thinking of the blood pressure thing. I get the pulse thing as I've always had this issue when in a medical area but my blood pressure never spiked like that. :weep:

Please Please respond.

Thanks, Mark.

Mark801
04-03-11, 01:30
Thanks for the reply. It'sjust that this has never happened to me before so it freaked me out. Has this ever happen to anyone else??

jothenurse
04-03-11, 01:49
Yes. When I am very anxious my pulse just pounds and I have had blood pressures in the 160/90 range. It is anxiety.
Last night I took my own and it was 95/60. I actually felt panicky because it was so low.
So, please don't worry about the blood pressure. You'll be fine.