PDA

View Full Version : If your English please read!

Granny Primark
04-03-11, 07:04
As of next month if you live in Scotland you get free prescriptions.
Wales and also N Ireland already get them.
If you live in Scotland you also get free parking at hospitals and also free tuition at uni.
Ive got nothing against the Scots, Welsh or Irish.
We are all British.
But I think its totally unfair that us English have to pay.
Ive recently paid £7.25 for 6 antibiotic tabs, £7.25 for an antiseptic throat spray and £7.25 for co codamol. The relief doc never told me that I could have bought the 2 latter items over the counter cheaper.
I personally think that we all should pay something for prescriptions so that the money made goes to what isnt the best health service at the moment.

Opinions wanted please.

yvonne_uk_98
04-03-11, 08:16
we had to fight to get free parking back in the hospital grounds, but only for few hours, after that you pay. the best time to park your car in the hospital is after 4pm. no one checks the cars after that. dont get free tution at uni, I wish. not where I stay, in scotland. my daughter has to apply for a loan for her tution fees,

icare
04-03-11, 09:05
Its down to politics i'm afarid you get what you vote for !!!!
In Scotland Wales and NI there are different people making the decisions What is needed is a Parliament for England.

Granny Primark
04-03-11, 09:45
I really dont begrudge others especially not my fellow Brits.
But even Dr Hilary Jones on Daybreak said its very unfair.

ditzygirl
04-03-11, 09:55
I'm an english chick living in scotland, whilst the current situation is pretty good where I am, I am not convinced it will last.

The principal is great, and you are right to feel short changed. I am not sure though that the Scottish government can realistically sustain it. Dont forget its election year for us and Mr Salmond is making great promises to stay in government.

Certainly in the Highlands we are taking some big job losses. RAF Kinloss closes at the end of July which is just dreadful, and if as I fear Mr Cameron is going to close Lossiemouth too, there will be very little employment between Inverness and Aberdeen. Many local communities will struggle to cope.

Don't be fooled Sweetie we are all going to have much tougher times to come!

Sorry if this sounds depressing, just realistic.

We'll keep smiling no matter what!x

daisycake
04-03-11, 11:12
Certainly in the Highlands we are taking some big job losses. RAF Kinloss closes at the end of July which is just dreadful, and if as I fear Mr Cameron is going to close Lossiemouth too, there will be very little employment between Inverness and Aberdeen. Many local communities will struggle to cope.

Agreed on the Lossie thing - I've got relatives living and working up in Lossie, my aunty works on the camp and they're worried as to what will happen - jobs all over Scotland seem to be few and far between right now! Where about in the highlands do you stay, my whole family's from up Inverness way? x

Granny Primark
04-03-11, 12:17
Weve also got the same problems regarding work.
Where I live in stoke on trent we used to have a thriving pottery industry.
Almost everyone has heard of Royal Doulton.
The factory has now been demolished.
I certainly didnt put on this post to offend anyone.
I was curious if there was other English people who felt the same.
I have taken blood pressure tabs since I was 30 and im 56. I take 3 different ones a day and will be taking them forever.
It works out very expensive over 12 months. Luckily I get a prepayment card which helps save me some money.
Ive heard my some of my friends say that they cant afford be ill and go the docs cus of the huge prescription charges.
At the mo I take 9 different tabs a day and the doc only gives me 2 months supply at a time.
Im not working and I claim DLA ( I think its about £17) for a neck injury.
Ive always worked full time up intil 5 years ago.
DLA doesnt allow you to get any other benefits.
Im only too happy to pay for prescriptions if they charged less for things that literally do not cost £7.25 to manufacture.
I must say im curious when none of you English havent posted to agree with me over this.
Surely there are others like me who share my opinion.
Or is granny primark just a whinging old biddy?:shrug::D:winks:
On second thoughts no one answer that question:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

margaret jones
04-03-11, 12:28
Hi Lynn I totally agree with you the charges are far to high Like you I have heard my Grandaughter say she finds going to the Gp expensive if she is given a Script for a couple of items she sometimes asks the Pharmacy if it is cheaper for her to purchase a substitute rather than get the GP precription .

Myself I am excempt ( OAP ) but can seriously understand peoples reluctance to visit Gp but just ask the Pharmasist for a Cheaper option if this is appropriate .
Obviously for long term treatmants a Annual card would be a cheaper option ?? i think

Also just heard on the news Charges going up in April ? not sure how much .
PS Hun hope you are continuing to feel better :hugs:

PoppyC
04-03-11, 12:42
I totally agree with you, Lynn! You are not a whinging old biddy either! I had not read your post before until just now.
I was just writing a similar post about prescription charges - have now just deleted after reading yours.
I don't mind paying for my prescriptions but as of this April they rise in England to £7.40 an item. It is too high a charge I feel.
Why is it that in Ireland and Wales the prescriptions are free and in Scotland they are being scrapped. Why can't we follow?
Your post was spot on and I completely agree with what you wrote!
What makes me mad is that this country gives loads in foreign aid, and is also giving up to £250 a week to migrants from Eastern European countries - thanks to the EU rulings - and yet British people seem to be having money taken from them!!!
Ok my rant over! :winks:

Tish
04-03-11, 13:45
I think it's shocking that the few of us have to pay for the many that get free prescriptions. I've always thought that EVERYONE should pay £1 per prescription to make a fair system. It's always wise to ask the chemist beforehand if they can be bought cheaper over the counter, I'm lucky to have a pharmacist who would tell me anyway.

Pudding
04-03-11, 15:06
Hi Lynn

I completely agree too. I had a heart attack 5 years ago and it's cost me a fortune ever since in prescription charges. I have to buy a yearly ticket otherwise I just could not afford it. It disgraceful, I don't know what we pay NI for these days, we don't seem to get anything for it.

Now I'm a whinging old biddy too, haha!!

PoppyC
04-03-11, 15:30
Hi
Its ok asking the pharmacist for less expensive options. I do this when I have my vitamins prescription given to me, for iron, however if you take medications like anti depressants and lots of other medications, then you can't get cheaper options.
I agree, I think that everyone should contribute a £1 per perscription and then that would lower the price for other people like me who have to pay the full price.
I also think there should be a minimum charge for seeing a doctor. I know of people who visit the gp for things they shouldn't visit for, - one being someone I know who visits I am sure for a social - and yet when there is a need to make an appointment for something that requires a visit to the doctors gp, then I can never get in!

ditzygirl
04-03-11, 16:40
I am not offended at all.

I remember nasty prescription charges from living in Berkshire. There were times when I couldnt afford the prescription.

Daisy - I live in Nairn, just outside Inverness and love itx

Dx

daisycake
04-03-11, 17:05
I am not offended at all.

I remember nasty prescription charges from living in Berkshire. There were times when I couldnt afford the prescription.

Daisy - I live in Nairn, just outside Inverness and love itx

Dx

:D we go on holiday there every year - well, every year since I was 13; it's a lovely place :)x

nomorepanic
04-03-11, 17:30
I thought I would be clever whilst I was out of work and on Job seekers allowance and apply for free prescriptions as my yearly pre-payment is up for renewal. :yesyes:

No chance though as I have more than £16,000 in savings.:mad:

So now I have to fork out £104 for that when I am being given £65 a week to live on :lac:

teez
04-03-11, 17:36
it cost us a small fortune in hospital car park fee,s while i had my chemo and radio therapys

snowgoose
04-03-11, 18:02
scottish lass living in England .......and wondering how the blazes this island became so divisive:weep:

as ex cancer nurse I saw patients unable to pay for their prescriptions for pain and nausea relief...........as for having 6 weeks on radiotherapy or chemo ?
pay the hospital charge for parking ..and when held up due to radiotherapy breakdown ........4 hours maybe ?
all on sick pay .............and when desperate a grant from Macmillan cancer care...thank god for them .
I have bombarded my Mp about this disgusting practice of getting money off the ill . A worry no one ever should have to face when so ill :hugs:

think this government needs to look again if we are to be a compassionate nation .
the money spent abroad on giving money to countries that then spend it on fighter planes got from Russia ??

not a political rant really folks :hugs:
just sad

ElizabethJane
04-03-11, 18:26
I have a pre-payment prescription card as I am on lithium so that's 400mg tablets and 200mg tablets, mirtazapine, two different inhalers, plus other meds. I have set up a direct debit over ten months (you are covered for twelve) This is much better for me. It works out at about £10.50 a month so it easily pays for itself. EJ.

ditzygirl
04-03-11, 18:53
Daisycake, next time your up - love to meet up. You will understand why I love my life. Even though i have a lot on my plate and anxiety, I get to enjoy the outdoor life and the lovely people.

Snowgoose - thank you for sharing that, I am horrified. What an eye opener. You should send this info to Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 - this is the stuff his show is made up of. Voters need to know this kind of thing.

shinderuko
04-03-11, 19:17
I recently needed a doctors letter about my anxiety problems to explain some absences from college. I was dumbfounded when I realised I'd have to pay £12 for a letter that didn't even fill the page (including the letterhead)!!
Is this the same in Scotland, NI etc?

uk23
04-03-11, 19:21
I think some doctors charge for letters, some don't. Mine doesn't.

shinderuko
04-03-11, 19:23
I wish I was at your GP surgery!! I've had so much hassle with mine :doh:

ditzygirl
04-03-11, 20:52
mmm I think charging for letters depends on surgeries and the GP concerned. I have never paid in Scotland but I didn't pay in England either when my then GP wrote to my employer regarding my anxiety. But times are changing quicklyx

Granny Primark
04-03-11, 21:11
Just want to explain the reasons for the title of this thread in case some members found it offensive.
I personally am going to write to my local mp about this.
I hope others do the same.
I personally feel British but this divides us as to whether we are British or English.
Lets have a standard charge for all the uk for prescriptions.
We are so lucky to live in a country where we have the nhs.
However there have been so many cut backs in the nhs.
My daughter is training to be a nurse so im a little bit informed by this.
Im old/young enough to remember when drs did home visits.
Sorry for going on and on but im passionate about the nhs and feel that us as British should all contribute the same.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

snowgoose
04-03-11, 21:26
excellent thread ...................and thoughtful one .
thank you .........I feel passionate about the NHS too :hugs:

ditzygirl
08-03-11, 13:16
It's a great thread and I too feel strongly about our NHS. I am very lucky I live in a small community and they seem to do their own thing but it is changing sadly.

But for now the standard of care is very good and we are lucky enough to have a little cottage hospital which is a God send I can tell you.

I think we do all need to fight and support our NHS. Some get really bad experiences but a lot of that is lack of funding, training, working too many hours etc. I wouldn't work in the medical profession for all the tea in china. I know GP's are paid well but I know there work loads can be immense.

As you know I am looking after my elderly in laws at the moment and that is an eye opener I can tell you, there are people in our NHS world who are total angels and I couldn't cope with out them.

harasgenster
08-03-11, 13:31
Not much to be done on the all Brits paying/not paying the same, I'm afraid, as we all have different parliaments. Wales and Scotland have more left-wing policies on a few things, including university tuition (unless this has changed?).

However, you're right about the charges being too high. I went through a period where I was on credit at the pharmacy. I don't spend to excess whatsoever and try to keep my money organised but I had just been made redundant and was still living in a flat on my own while I was looking for a shared house to move into. Cuts have to be made somewhere and prices have to rise but I wonder if there is a fairer way to do this. Carpark charges at hospitals are RIDICULOUS by the way. It's very unfair for people who frequently need to visit hospitals.

PS: I want to make a very cheap political point :) Someone said "you get what you vote for" - the majority voted for a left-wing government and we have a right-wing one (because the Lib Dems are ineffectual). Cheap, yes, but I had to point it out :)

Greenman50
08-03-11, 22:45
Don,t know what to say really the nhs needs more money , but the charges are high if you don,t have loads of income . So should we just pay the rate ?...i don,t know ? I was off work for nearly three months and i was paying nearly £30 a month for 4 months and need to pay another £30 this week for a months poisen ., so thats £150 ish . I,m self employed so can,t claim anything when i was off work (not that i wanted to ) I,m 45 and have always worked and have some saveings (not loads ..lol ) so couldn,t claim if i was out of work because i have not blown all my wages and i presume i would be expected to use this first before i got anything , but if i had blew all my wages on cars and holidays i,d probably get something as i would have no saveing to live off , doesn,t seem right some how . I know people who are on benifits who seem to be better off than me , i also know people on benifits who are on there backside so i can,t understand why some are better off than others .

Now don,t get me wrong benifits are there for people who need them and we all pay into the systym so i,m not moaning about people on benifits etc.. i just don,t understand how it works...

Nearly finished moaning ...:roflmao:

The last time i spent £30 at the chemist i pulled up in my old banger in my asda George jeans and cheap shirt and parted with my hard earned .
While i was waiting some noddy pulled up in a 06 plate car , parked on double yellows , wreaked of expensive after shave and was wearing designer gear . Now this really grips my shit , he didn,t have to pay for his prescription ...wtf ??? where have i gone wrong !

The only saveing grace was that he was a real fugly git with big ears i would suspect his mum used to hang him on the washing line with his ears and feed him with a catapult as a baby , if he looked like george clooney i would have burst into tears or knocked him out for parking on double yellows

Victor Meldrew

haz
08-03-11, 23:07
mmm I think charging for letters depends on surgeries and the GP concerned. I have never paid in Scotland but I didn't pay in England either when my then GP wrote to my employer regarding my anxiety. But times are changing quicklyx

GP's in Scotland are entitled to charge for letters/forms etc. Fortunately, mine doesn't. I'm lucky, my GP is great. Re: prescriptions charges - it is all down to politics I'm afraid. Scotland only has one conservative seat, Dumfries and Galloway. We just don't vote tory up here. I don't pay for my prescriptions anyway as I'm on benefits but I'm glad that my friends and family don't have to pay now either. People in England - I sympathise with you on this.

Thyme
08-03-11, 23:14
I'm afraid the difference is down to government policy. The Welsh Assembly Government stopped prescription charges quite some time ago, they have also banned hospitals from charging for car parking.

Welsh children do not have to take all those tests that English children take but Welsh students do have to pay tuition fees.

Prescription charges, I think, are inherently unfair because you are paying over £7 for something which may only be costing £2 or £3 or you may be paying £7 for something that costs £20. Your pharmacist will probably not tell you the real price of the item. Also doctors will often prescribe larger quantities of medications to save the charges for their patients and if the patient stops taking the meds or the doctor thinks they are no longer required then the level of wastage goes up. Unused medicines cannot be given to someone else...even if the box is intact. Try taking unused medicines back to your pharmacist and ask for a refund.....!!!

Mel: I bet your bloke with the designer suit and big ears was diabetic and therefore gets his prescriptions (all of them) free of charge. However an asthmatic will have to pay for each item including their inhalers.

If you don't like prescription charges tell your MP...that's what they are there for....don't hold your breath though.

pooh
16-03-11, 17:28
HiYa
Just to clear up English people do not pay over the odds prescription charges so that the Scots and Welsh can have them free. The political matter of free prescriptions is a choice by the Scottish parliament and the Welsh assembly to divert their available funding in that direction. In other words, that funding could go on something else. yes we pay for letters from our Gp's and in terms of a divisive Uk Scotland has had it's own legal and education system for centuries including prior to the devolved parliament coming about. The charging for prescriptions in England is a local political matter that has to be resolved at a local level. The uk has never been an all inclusive all rules for one collection of four countries either presently or historically. It's pretty emotive subject with comparable examples of the poll tax introduced to Scotland under Thatcher and no where else in Britain. I personally consider myself Scottish before I consider myself a world citizen lol. Tis a huge HUGE subject area and as my neighbours England you have my full sympathies over having to pay ridiculous costs for prescriptions.
Pooh

pooh
16-03-11, 17:44
Ps Can I also just add that the NHS is not a universally managed on an equal UK level body. It itself is devolved into trusts who manage their own budgets and determine provision of care thats why you so often hear about post code lotteries in terms of health care. Here's a link http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/thenhs/about/Pages/authoritiesandtrusts.aspx

Pooh :D

scottishcantona
16-03-11, 19:42
pooh has hit the nail on the head completely in both posts, my wife is a staff nurse, i am an ex social worker and the posts are spot on and really say all that needs to be said.

uk23
16-03-11, 19:57
I dont think this is something we will ever agree on, simply because England and Scotland have never got on and never really will.

Although born here, I don't class myself as British (well I sort of do), however I will never agree on the extas England has to pay to keep Scotland, Wales & NI going.

pooh
16-03-11, 20:41
I think a wee economics lesson wouldnae go amiss in this thread LOL

Pooh ;D :D

uk23
16-03-11, 20:55
I agree ;) Scottish people get 20% more than English people...just a thought.

pooh
16-03-11, 21:33
Just a wee thought. Unless you are extremely well informed about UK fiscal policy and receiving that information from a balanced independent non biased source, I would err on the side of caution in quoting anything. Everything you read in the papers is almost always sensationalised nonsense. Any economists/ accountants in the house? LOL
GP the doctor on thetv that said the prescriptions thing was unfair...did she sy it in terms of CAN we be like the other member countries of the UK and not pay for prescriptions, or did she specifically state that it's unfair in terms of England paying to subsidise those free prescriptions?

Pooh xx

PS UK23 I'm prepared to engage in any lively debate as long as it doesn't go down the lines of being unkind about or to anyone who is 'British' :D :D

blue moon
16-03-11, 21:49
We pay for medication here in Aus and expensive:mad:
Petra

uk23
16-03-11, 23:44
Any economists/ accountants in the house?

Not in the house but 3 solicitors in my family and 1 accountant :P

While I do not consider any paper to be a reliable source of information, I do think The Times (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article7100959.ece) is one of the better ones.

What is your source and how well informed are you about UK fiscal policy?

lior
16-03-11, 23:52
You know you can apply for help with prescriptions though right?
Also you can pay a yearly fee if you get regular prescriptions, which often turns out cheaper than paying per prescription.
It's not really fair but this seems a small political point to worry over. Tuition fees seem like a bigger deal. Only rich families will be able to send their kids to uni, and the middle class kids will go abroad to study so we'll lose loads of intelligent people. Our nation will be less educated if the tuition fees keep going up.

uk23
17-03-11, 00:41
I dont really care anymore, pooh you win the debate.

evil monkey
01-04-11, 15:03
if someone can tell me i'm wrong. soopa.

been down the docs. so if you are on jobseekers allowance etc, you get prescriptions for free

if you are on incapacity benefit, you have to pay.

so if your reason for having no income is because you need medical support, you have to pay for your medical support.

were the people who make the rules for this country mentally challenged when they got the job, or do they just become that way over time ?

Anxious_gal
05-04-11, 02:34
wow I'm shocked if thats true.
In Ireland you get a medical card if your income in is low, or you are on job seekers or disability .
when my little cousin got cancer she was given a medical card even though shes a teenager.
you get free everything, but with the new rules you have to pay for most dental work, theres also a tiny fee of 50cents per prescription.

If I didn't have a medical card I would have to pay 50 euros per doctors visit.
I think the A and E is free for everyone but I'm not sure, or at least they can't refuse to treat you if your broke.

pollyanna
05-04-11, 07:12
it seems an unfair system i agree, there are so many differences within the uk, going back a few years now in scotland there was the dreaded poll tax, which caused a lot of misery for people, and in my opinion a very unfair tax, just another example of the differences .

looking4answers
06-04-11, 00:39
I'm originally English as my family is from there and still have family there, but if you think you have problems,move to the states.... Free healthcare bad humbug not for me....and free meds... I don't think so... You have to be wealthy to die here lol