PDA

View Full Version : Positive Thinking

poppy
04-04-06, 10:46
Hi,
Just thought i would share with you my thoughts on positive thinking.
It really does work, i know a lot of people tend to shrug it off and think 'i cant' or 'it wont work' and i have done this myself in the past but if you really try it works wonders.
I have been using positive thinking as my only relief, no relaxation, no medication nothing. Just before christmas i was agoraphobic and terrified to leave the house and a few days ago i went to asda, you might have seen my post. Thats how sucessful it has been for me.
Not just positive thinking but rational thinking too.
If you feel you can give it a go im sure it will work wonders for you.
Take care
Poppy

Dan
04-04-06, 11:45
hi poppy
really pleased you are getting on so well i was just wondering what you actually do ie are you following a book
i try to think positive but quite often anxiety wins the battle am i doing it wrong i do go out and work but find lots of things hard which shouldnt get a second thought
however i am determined to get completely back on track just sometimes dont no what else to do
Dan

poppy
04-04-06, 11:56
Hi Dan,
What i have been doing is when i feel anxious i see what thoughts i have, write them down and then challenge them with more rational and positive thoughs.
For example if im scared to go to the supermarket i am proberbly thinking 'what if i faint?' which is then changed to 'i have never fainted from anxiety, i will proberbly just feel lightheaded'.
Its stops the downward spiral for me because normally one thought leads to another and so on.............
Hope it helps
Take care
Poppy

heths
04-04-06, 12:16
Hi Poppy,

I've just read your post and wanted to say that I agree. Positive thinking does work. I use it myself. Like today I had an appointment with my therapist and although I've been nervous, everytime I've been thinking "I can't do it" etc, I just kept telling myself positive things, such as "I can do it, I've done it before." And to "what if I have a panic attack" I said to myself, "If I do I can cope with it." And today I've had my appointment and I did more than I expected and didn't have a panic attack.

Heather

pips
04-04-06, 16:39
Hi Poppy.

Yes I really do believe in it to. Although I do find it difficult at times! As i'm such a negative thinker.

I really try to practise PMT (POSITIVE MENTAL THOUGHTS) Plus I'ts much better then the other PMT us woman get huh!!

Keep up the good work.

Take Care,

Love PIP'S X X X X

cathy s
06-05-06, 20:23
This method has been working very successfully for me too. I have had trouble going on the school run alone, I would spend all day worrying about it, so that by the time I did go I'd bring on a bad panic attack! I have been telling myself I can make it, my legs do actually work even if I'm tired/headachey/lightheaded ect, I wont collapse or become stranded. I keep a close watch on my breathing too and keep it slow & deep. walking quickly burns off any slight anxiey. Above all else the knowllege that I can cope with a panic attack by relaxing my body (it's amazing how tense you get without realising it) and breathing calmly, and also what you said - counteracting those first few thoughts that set you off. 'I haven't fainted yet so I'm unlikely to today'. You have to build up evidence of all your success in your mind to strengthen your confidence.

Piglet
06-05-06, 21:51
Couldn't agree more - way to go you lot :D

Piglet x

fromage
28-05-06, 08:47
well i agree too, it,s difficult some times especially when you are pesimist by nature .. but if you keep a check on your thought process and think of things in abundance as opposed to scarcity it makes your day bigger and better .. [oh i almost forgot ] affirmations are great too ..
keep positive [ think about what you have a opposed to what you dont] .... there,s a great wayne dyer quote that goes [buckminster fuller actually ] only 1percent of yourself is tangible .. the other 99percent is intangable [ .. in other words your potential is limit less..

IanB
09-08-06, 10:52
Poppy

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go.

Ian

dave316
09-08-06, 11:57
it can be done guys

I still get very severe panic but positive thinking does work wonders. Nothing can't be achieved with the power of the mind.

I gave up smoking with willpower and positive thinking and i have had this affliction for 5 yrs now with no meds and use PT.

There will be worse days than others but you all can do it!

God Bless

Dave
UK

Lindalou64
27-08-06, 19:13
i agree.ya have to be positive in many things also..negative is just a bad thought or a ignorant person..........Linda[8D]