PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know the average waiting times for MRI scans on the NHS?

carlos2011
04-03-11, 17:26
Probably a "how long is a piece of string" type question, but just wondered on your average if you had one done.

I have private cover through work, but they said I have to be referred from a consultant first, so to me that's like a double wait. Probably would be easier to just get it done on the NHS.

The doctor said she would reffer me last time I went if my blood tests came back inconclusive on my dizzy spells, and they have.

Do MRI scans pick up inner ear problems?

Cheers

Katie6
04-03-11, 17:31
I only waited a few weeks for mine, but i guess it depends on the hospital. when you say inconclusive is that because all your tests are negative or they have found something and need to look into it further x

carlos2011
04-03-11, 17:34
Oh it means they have found nothing untoward. The only reason I'm seeing the doctor is because I asked to, I was told that no more action needs to be taken..but I was like, err I still have the symptoms so yes please! :D

Few weeks isn't too bad, I'd be happy with that.

Katie6
04-03-11, 17:39
What sort of dizzyness do you have, is it lightheaded/faint feeling or is it the room spinning type?

carlos2011
04-03-11, 17:49
lightheaded/faint feeling, i'm good when I sit down, it's just when I'm walking, I feel dreamy and weird. Haven't had any spinning sensations. The only other symptoms are a big increase in eye floaters, had them checked twice! Once at an opticians and once at the hospital (with eye dilation etc). Doc said it's not related..

Any ideas? I have the light headed feeling last year and it went away eventually. I do build up a lot of wax in my ears, already had them syringed. How far can a doc see into your ear anyway? x

Katie6
04-03-11, 18:00
I have dizzyness it is my WORST symptom and this time round i have had for two years, if all your of your blood tests have come back ok it is more than likely caused by anxiety, When the dizzyness is caused by the inner ear it is a room spinning type of dizzyness, i have had this type two, but only on a couple of occasions.

How long have you been suffering with the dizzyness, do you feel that at anxious times it is worst. The more you focus on it the worst it will be. not sure if i have been of any help, but hope i have.

I have suffered with dizzyness on and off for 18 years since i was 13 and it is miserable:weep:

Katie6
04-03-11, 18:04
Forget to mention i have floaters too in my right eye, floaters are very rarely a cause for concern, i remember when i first noticed mine, i became obseesed and very concerned by them i could even see them against dark colours, but now i know they are nothing to be concerned about i hardly notice them, if i go into a very bright sunny room i can notice them more. the optician told me floaters don't usuually dissapear, but your brain eventually learns to block them out x

Hazel B
04-03-11, 20:21
My MRI on the NHS took 2 weeks and that was marked "Urgent", it can be a wait of 6 weeks otherwise.

carlos2011
04-03-11, 21:20
Thanks. Well I hope I can get the 2 weeks too..I'm so scared of this throbbing I'm getting on the left side of my head, plus this lightheaded and eye floaters. I just don't get it..I've had my eyes checked, blood checked. It's got to be the brain, I can't think what else. It's horrible and I'm living in fear constantly

Hazel B
05-03-11, 19:00
I'm sure it won't be anyhting too serious, try not to worry (easier said than done, I know!).