PDA

View Full Version : I want to avoid medicine!

Need2Live
04-03-11, 19:35
I was doing SO well for a few days. Then last week, I got worried about subtle chest pains I had been having on and off for a few weeks. I went to the ER and was told it was anxiety and prescribed me Trazodone. I told them I didn't want to take it if I didn't have to. She said it would help me sleep and help me with anxiety but I don't need anything to help me sleep. I sleep fine, through the night.

Then, Wednesday night, I was settling in for the night and I had this sensation of needing to yawn but couldn't "quench" it. Since then, I have been "short on breath" and when I finally can yawn or take that deep breath, I feel like it takes everything. Is this anxiety, also? I've never dealt with this before. I have went through plenty of stressful events in my life that I was able to overcome even if it took a little time with no physical effects on me (like chest pain/breathing problems).

Yesterday, it was so bad, I went outside to try to get fresh air and I don't know if I had what is considered a "panic attack" but it lasted several minutes and I felt like I couldn't breathe, like I was going to lose my mind and got dizzy from the extreme stress.

If this is anxiety, which I am guessing it is, what can I do to handle it without having to take medicine? I read up on Trazodone. It seems like the withdrawal symptoms are horrible and not to mention the side affects seems like the medicine will cause exactly what I'm trying to get rid of! I just don't want to be dependent on medicine, especially coming from a family history (never me) of addiction of alcohol and drugs.

amandaj
04-03-11, 21:48
hi i was on trazadone for nearly 2 years and i had no side effects whatsoever, infact was about the only meds ive taken ive felt ok on , i used to say i wouldnt take tablets but sometimes we need to to take the edge off things good luck in what you decide to do xx

Mic
04-03-11, 22:43
Hi need2live, I am the same as you and was too scared to take meds, siad exactly the same side affects is what I already have, i have gone through 5mths without and my friend 5 mths with, she is now on 40mg of the pill I should of taken and is no further forward than I am and she will have to put up with coming off the meds too which I won't same family history as you too!!! never me!! seen what it has done to them can't even stand the smell of alcohol!! just try to breath deeply and slowly inhale less exhale more, Have you read an of Claire Weekes book think they would help you get them on amazon they are on offe at the min.:hugs: keep your chin up and do what suits you best I just thought I would panic and look for side affects so was on a loser before I started.