PDA

View Full Version : question about uterine polyp

pb
05-03-11, 18:42
This is my second post , but its a different question.
After post menopausal bleeding i have been diagnosed with a polyp.
Have opted to have a local anasetic rather than a general (too scared), but what does this involve.
I had a hystercopy (spelt wrong ) and a uterine biopsy to diagnsose the polyp.The main was horrendous , i cant face the pain but im too afraid to have a ga.
Will ask gp for a sedative to take beforehand, but will a local anasetic numb the pain !
Thanks

countrygirl
05-03-11, 21:54
I have had 3 hysteroscopies in the past - 2 with local anaethesia in the cervix and one without and I have to say that the last one was horrendous without - the pain was worse than childbirth! The previous 2 with the local injections were unpleasant but not unbearable, the injections themselves are a bit painful but once over the pain went and also its very painful when they do the biopsy so I would imagine the removal of the polyp will be painful at the time. You can ask for sedation with the local injections- your GP need not be involved just ring the consultants sec and explain you need to be sedated. some consultants insist on either GA or nothing but its worth asking.
If you have to go ahead without sedation then its unpleasant with painful moments but nothing like the unbearable pain you would have had at your hystersocopy.

Good luck - I know what its like:wacko: