PDA

View Full Version : Cost affected meds change.

Big Pete
06-03-11, 01:08
Hi all, first post so be gentle :) Hope this is in the right place.
I'm 40+ ex forces and due to mental (PTSD & Depression) and physical issues I'm classed as umemployable. Live on my own and spend far too much time online.
My local PCT has decided that everyone on effexor must now be on venlalic, from capsules to tablets. I'm assured that they are exactly the same by the PCT but I'm not sure.
I've been taking them about 4 days now and have noticed a minor rash on my forearms torso and back. Also the fingertips on my right hand have very minor, but infuriating, pins and needles and when I put them to my face feel colder than my left hand. I'm also suffering from mild diarrhoea.
I've somewhat stupidly been reading the massive sheet that comes with the meds and have suitably frightened myself.
I've noticed that Tramadol is contra indicated (I take 400mg daily alomg with the 225mg venlalic) and that pins and needles can be a 'serious side effect'.
The pins and needles are minor but annoying so hardly seem serious. The other 'symptoms' seem fairly insignificant, scratch a bit, use E45 or bepanthen and take some diacalm.
I was wondering if anyone else had a change imposed upon them by their PCT and if they had hasd a similar reaction.
I don't want to be a pain. My GP is very good, helpful and understanding but appointments take weeks. The leaflet says go straight to hospital but that seems excessive.
Any advice, similar experiences?
Thanks
:wacko:

gaaron
06-03-11, 01:16
Hi Big Pete and welcome to NMP. I haven't had a 'change imposed' on me thankfully. But it it is rather 'coincidental' that your rash and pins and needles have appeared shortly after taking the new meds. If you haven't changed your washing powder (rash) maybe you should go back to your GP. Take care x