PDA

View Full Version : New insurance question

Phills08
06-03-11, 16:02
I posted before about a hard lymph node in my neck that has been there since July.. It has not grown but also has not shrunk.. Lately I've been feeling alot of pressure in the left aide of my neck and also when I turn to the left I don't have as much range of motion as when I turn to the right.. I've also been feeling weak and Lighteaded and not able to concentrate.. I finally got approved for new health insurance which starts march 15th.. My question is I haven't been seen for this before so it can't e considered a pre existing condition can it? Also would I be able to make a doctors appointment for the same day the insurance starts or will they try and not cover me because of that? I just want to go to the doctors an finally get this looked at

nomorepanic
06-03-11, 16:56
Well this is what a pre-existing conditon is:

pre-existing condition as a "medical condition that occurred before a program of health benefits went into effect.

Most insurance companies use one of two definitions to identify such conditions. Under the "objective standard" definition, a pre-existing condition is any condition for which the patient has already received medical advice or treatment prior to enrollment in a new medical insurance plan. Under the broader, "prudent person" definition, a pre-existing condition is anything for which symptoms were present and a prudent person would have sought treatment.

I am not sure you would be covered seeing as you had the problem for some time.

Phills08
06-03-11, 17:08
The insurance defined a pre existing condition as anything that has been sought medical advice for within the last 90 days.. I have not been to the doctor since September and never related to this problem.. So I guess I should be fine?

nomorepanic
06-03-11, 17:11
Ok in that case you will be ok then.

Phills08
06-03-11, 17:17
Thanks for helping to clear that up for me