PDA

View Full Version : Headache for 4 months now

BKF1515
07-03-11, 13:32
Hi, I've had a headache since the beginning of November 2010, four months ago. I have had a sore/stiff neck for a few years now and after a few stressful weeks, this headache suddenly came out. I was and am still pretty sure it is caused by something at the top of my neck which is radiating pain into my head. It feels like a classic tension headache.

I've been to and talked with my GP numerous times, and she also thinks it's a classic tension headache and that I am probably working too hard/sitting at the computer wrongly/not dealing with stress well. The only time my headache subsided was over the Christmas Holiday when I wasn't working for a few weeks. Then I had a stressful day in January and it returned and hasn't left me.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Can it be related to stress/anxiety? Will it just subside one day and never come back?

I have taken Naproxen and Diazepam almost constantly since Nov. I stopped going to my phsysical therapist a few weeks ago as it didn't seem to be helping. Right now I am halfway through a course of acupuncture but I don't think that is really helping. Is it possible to have a slipped disc/hernia/pinched nerve at the top of the neck which would be causing this? Will it get better if I just get a lot of rest? I am so scared at the thought of having some sort of surgery.

Please, any advice or reassurance would be so helpful.

suzy-sue
07-03-11, 13:44
It does seem like Its tension to me .Discs can cause pressure on sorounding nerves .But this doesnt sound like this is the case .Try heat on the shoulders .The muscles get very tense there .A massage or an osteopath will probabaly benefit you if the acupuncture doesnt help .Also some relaxation done regularly will destress and relax the muscles Sitting incorrectly will cause problems ,so try to keep your back and neck straight ,slouching is a no no...Hope you start to feel better soon .Just a thought !!are you on the contraceptive pill ? Sometimes this can cause constant headaches ,Did with me ..Sue

Mogwog
07-03-11, 13:57
Sounds like tension to me too. I had something like this when I was a teenager and it lasted for ages but it did eventually go.

Hope this reassures you a little

Love

Laura.xxx

BKF1515
07-03-11, 14:46
Thanks for your replies. I am in so much pain today - can't get through to any of the doctors/info. to help me. I only start to imagine the worst.

BKF1515
09-03-11, 09:48
I am still having this pain at the very top of my neck/resonates into my head. It has to be tension or a pinched nerve, right? Could ti be anything more serious? I am starting to drive myself crazy with worry. But I am so good - I have NOT googled.

BKF1515
09-03-11, 12:34
After reading the posts of others, I am really wondering if I have brought this pain on myself. But I can't be imagining it into existence, can I? I used to have so much more energy - could go exercise and so a million things a day. Now I feel like I just give up - the pain is too bad and the painkillers make me feel so tired.

SG
18-03-11, 15:04
I suffer from what I think are tension headaches, although I've never been to a doctor to confirm it. I get them several times a month and the pain spreads to my neck and shoulders. It's really starting to get to me now, it's ruined my day off work today. I'm also getting increasingly worried that it's something serious (started Googling again, even though I know I shouldn't). Like you mentioned, I think it's possible to bring the headaches on ourselves. Just yesterday I was thinking about it, hadn't suffered for a good few weeks. Then as the day went on it got worse and worse. I've tried lots of things to reduce tension/anxiety about it: hot baths, relaxation videos, exercise, going for a walk. So far, nothing takes it away.

Hope yours have improved since it's been a while since this thread was made.

countrygirl
18-03-11, 15:49
Any tension in your neck muscles from any cause from stress to actual things wrong with your neck can cause pain to radiate up to head - it can also cause crawling tingling sensations in head and face and pain pressure in ears and face - the list really is endless including dizziness and vertigo!

an eye test is always a good mot for us worriers as they can pick up anything from high blood pressure and diabetes to brain tumour:winks: so if you have had one of these recently that would be very reassuring.

On the subject of our minds causing symptoms - yesterday I got a follow up appt with ENT a full year after my initial appt and had compeltely forgotten about it. I went originally because I kept getting a severe pressure feeling for a few seconds in my face sort of middle and left side on and off all day. The consultant stuck a camera up my nose and looked at my sinuses and I had also had a head mri which didn't show anything so he said could be coming from my damaged neck but he would see me again in 3 months that was a year ago, I had not had the symptoms for at least 6 months so I cancelled the appt and guess what within an hour of cancelling it the pressure was back!