PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram and pregnancy...

DottysBird
08-03-11, 18:26
Hi,

I weaned myself off Citalopram after 5 months because I felt much better and am in a position where I would like to try for a baby soon. However, I have relapsed and feel like I need to go back on to medication. I went to the Dr today and he would like me to postpone my family plans and focus on getting better. After 11 years of going out of my way to not fall pregnant and making sure we are in a good financial position to start a family. It seems like as soon as we get over one hurdle, we are faced with another.

Has anyone been prescribed Citalopram or other medication whilst pregnant or trying to conceive? Any information or advice is greatly appreciated. I have tried looking online and there are so many conflicting studies.

krees69
08-03-11, 19:34
I had to reply to you as its like reading my own history.
I have quite severe anxiety and tips over into depression for over 20years.
I think , although i left my brain in the maternity ward 2 years ago (LOL)! i made the decision to stay on my medication throughout my pregnancy, which was seroxat, i thinkk the general consensus is that if you are likely to go VERY downhill without the pills then stay on them. Citalopram i think is one of the better ones. As a result of my descision i had a very nice pregnancy and more importantly a reasonable post natal period-once you get over the OMG !! its a baby what am i supposed to do with this!thing. Our little one was/is fine

I did have difficulty in conceiving but more to do with my age (42) rather than the meds.

If you do decide not to take them, really do consider going back on them as soon as you deliver as that is a very difficult period
Hope helps
Kath

DottysBird
09-03-11, 09:20
Thank you for your response.

Fortunately my depression manefests itself in the form of "meltdowns" - lots of tears at the slightest change or stress. It's not great for my husband or family as I become more irritable whereas on the Citalopram I am far more relaxed (I'm naturally a very highly strung person). I don't have suicidal thoughts or any serious thoughts of self harm. I'm hoping that I can try and stave off the depression with positive thinking, acupuncture and exercise for as long as it takes to fall pregnant and have a successful pregnancy. I'd have no qualms about returning to medication after this as I really feel it worked well for me, although I'd love to be able to breastfeed. I'm waiting for my Dr to get back to me as he's currently speaking to colleagues and pharmacists before we make a definitive decision.... but I'm pretty sure he will still say he wants me to treat the depression and postpone trying to conceive.

My concerns are
* I could spend 12 months "getting better" and STILL suffer with depression during or post pregnancy.
* If I did conceive on medication I would worry about the adverse effects on the baby throughout the pregnancy and would never forgive myself if there were complications.

:weep:

It's just all very confusing! x

Lizziesaurus
09-03-11, 11:04
I've never had a baby nor am I planning to have one any time soon, although this has crossed my mind many a time.
My own personal view would be to stay off all medication during pregnancy because I'd be terrified I'd harm the baby, but that's how my anxiety would manifest itself.
Now having been on citalopram myself I know it's one of the better ADs with fewer side effects, although I admit I skipped over the bit about pregnancy! But maybe talk to a doctor or nurse that's more pregnancy related rather than psychiatry related? See what they say?
They may have ways other than medication to help you get through pregnancy, be it reduced hours at work, meditation etc Maybe that wouldn't work, I don't know you and I know if someone said that to me I'd say so very clearly but maybe there is a way out there to help you, just for a short time so you could have a baby?

Hope that might help even though I am no baby expert! :)

Magic01
09-03-11, 11:27
Not sure if this is much help but I really want to have a family and at my age I can't wait much longer. However at the moment I don't feel like i could cope with pregnancy and a baby because of my anxiety so i am going to deal with the anxiety first.