PDA

View Full Version : Dentist.....need cheer/opinions

laurenessex
09-03-11, 13:24
Soooooooo a dental saga started in 2009 where it got to the point where I needed to go to the dentist, to cut a long story short, I pushed myself through two appts at one useless dentist, had a private checkup at home, then found a dentist which was much more reassuring,

Had a check up, several appts for a root canal filling, a dental surgeon checkup, then ended up at hosp for a tooth extraction under a general. A process which took quite a while, with waiting, moved appts on both parts etc. Was very draining and I celebrated when it was all over.

Then my thought was, don't want to be in this position again, need to get into a routine of checkups, so when all that was over and it had got to a year since my last checkup, I bravely went and booked one, and felt quite good about it.....

Until sunday, feeling quite tired and stuff anyway, was out at a gig, and left early because I started feeling rough, Monday was a bit better, but then tuesday, date of my appt dawned, Mum normally comes with me, but didn't offer, had plans, and I thought I could do it on my own.....managed to get down there, but couldn't get in the door......so I felt bad through dental stress, bad at myself for not doing it, bad because it was just a checkup and didnt think there was likely anything wrong, and wondering what the dentist thought. (I wimped out and left them a voicemail which is prob a bit jumbled)..

Then I had reactions from mum and dad, frustration, couldn't understand me, it was just a checkup, how could I go down to bars on my own and not do that....they wern't impressed, which didn't help, Mums now telling me to ring them up straight away and book another appt or she thinks that I'll never do it and end up with problems again....was hoping for some support and encouragement....:(

Advice and cheer much appreciated, as I'm still feeling the strain a little, and would like to get rid of it before tomorrow night sigh....!!!

Megan73
09-03-11, 18:32
Hi

I think you are being too harsh on yourself. You got to the door which is a lot further than a lot of people. I've been at the dentist and seen people walk out after being made to wait so you are not unusual and most dentists should understand. If they don't they don't deserve your business.

Maybe see if they have a cancellation by ringing first thing in the morning? Then you only have to wait 1 day, if not go when you feel up to it and don't let anyone push you.

Just remember you have been very very brave so far, it must have taken a lot of courage to go through all the previous treatment.

Megan