PDA

View Full Version : can anyone explain to me what Ruminating is?

Katie6
09-03-11, 16:07
Could anyone explain to me what exactly is ment by Ruminating, is it something all anxious people do or if you do it does it cause anxiety, would really like to understand more about this if anyone is able to explain it me :hugs:

JaneC
09-03-11, 16:18
Hi Katie, as I understand it, it means to think about something over and over, and I'd say it's a thing anxious people often do. Doubt it would cause anxiety unless you were already anxious, if you see what I mean? xxx

Katie6
09-03-11, 16:25
thank you for your reply, i find myself thinking over and over again about how i am feeling physically, i feel that no matter what i am trying to do to distract myself, (which is limeted due to severe M.E) i still seem to be focused on how i am feeling, also if i ever have descision to make, or am worried about something, i seem to think about nothing else, would you say in your opinion that i am ruminating, its just something someone said, made me curious about what it ment x

PoppyC
09-03-11, 16:29
Hi
As Jane says, rumination means thinking over and over about something, and dwelling on a negative subject in your head.
A lot of it is to do with anxiety. I used to do this a lot when I had my death fear. It would make me really unhappy but I just kept thinking about it for some reason.
I don't think it causes anxiety to begin with, not sure, but it keeps anxiety going, once you have anxiety, just by the negative thoughts alone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumination_%28psychology%29

Katie6
09-03-11, 16:42
Hi
As Jane says, rumination means thinking over and over about something, and dwelling on a negative subject in your head.
A lot of it is to do with anxiety. I used to do this a lot when I had my death fear. It would make me really unhappy but I just kept thinking about it for some reason.
I don't think it causes anxiety to begin with, not sure, but it keeps anxiety going, once you have anxiety, just by the negative thoughts alone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumination_%28psychology%29

Thank-you also poopyc for your reply i will take a look at the link, so i am guessing that ruminating is a typical behaviour of an anxious person, and although not the sole cause of anxiety it can feed and prolong the anxiety, is that right? lol just trying to understand as much as i can, i am very limeted to how i can distract myself, and thinking that maybe if i can stop "ruminating it may help with my anxiety symptoms x

allergyphobia
09-03-11, 16:46
Hi Katie, it must be very hard to distract yourself whilst being bed bound. Do you ever pop into the chat room here? Every body is very friendly. Constantly chatting to people may help you to stop thinking so much about your anxiety. x

oldtime
09-03-11, 16:46
Ruminants are herbivores and have multiple stomachs, usually they are grass eaters and grass is difficult to digest. Rumination is regurgitating and re-chewing the cud (fermented grass) which is then swallowed back into the second stomach for normal digestion.

Katie6
09-03-11, 16:55
Hi Katie, it must be very hard to distract yourself whilst being bed bound. Do you ever pop into the chat room here? Every body is very friendly. Constantly chatting to people may help you to stop thinking so much about your anxiety. x

No i haven't been in the chat room yet, well i did once, but almost immidiately had to come out, as my dinner was ready, i may try again x:hugs:

Katie6
09-03-11, 16:56
Ruminants are herbivores and have multiple stomachs, usually they are grass eaters and grass is difficult to digest. Rumination is regurgitating and re-chewing the cud (fermented grass) which is then swallowed back into the second stomach for normal digestion.

Now i am confused.com lol

allergyphobia
09-03-11, 16:58
Haha i don't think the grass chewing variety applies to you Katie!

I think a cow in a ruminater, chewing and chewing on the cud - and I suppose that is how it links to what others are saying. You are thinking and thinking the same thing over and over again - you stop and swallow for a while and then you bring it back up for another mull over (yuck!)

was the comment said to you in a nasty way? what is it that you ruminate about?

x

Katie6
09-03-11, 17:02
Haha i don't think the grass chewing variety applies to you Katie!

I think a cow in a ruminater, chewing and chewing on the cud - and I suppose that is how it links to what others are saying. You are thinking and thinking the same thing over and over again - you stop and swallow for a while and then you bring it back up for another mull over (yuck!)

was the comment said to you in a nasty way? what is it that you ruminate about?

x

NO the comment was not said in a nasty way i was just explaining that now matter how hard i try my mind is constantly thinking about how i am feelin physically, and how i do the same thing if i have a descision to make or a problem it will take up all of my brainspace. and i was told that was ruminating, i didn't know what it meant nor did i have the energy to ask and listen to a response, that was a couple of weeks ago, i rembered today and thought where better to ask x

allergyphobia
09-03-11, 17:08
You seem offended by my post, don't really understand why.

All the best
AP

Katie6
09-03-11, 17:17
You seem offended by my post, don't really understand why.

All the best
AP

Allergyphobia, i am really sorry if you thought i was offended as that was not my intention at all, i just read back on mine and your post and you wrote nothing to offend me and i can't see what you thought you offended me. i find this site so very valuable and appreciate every reply i get. I am very sorry if i said something that made you feel that way, but am wondering ha it was that i said
xx:hugs:

Katie6
09-03-11, 17:21
Allergyphobia

was it the bit about.............

" i didn't know what it meant nor did i have the energy to ask and listen to a response

I was refering to the day a family member said this to me, i was having a bad day and just didn't have the energy to continue the discussion with them, and decided i would ask here

I am sorry if i didn't explain my post fully that will be the brain fog
xx

allergyphobia
09-03-11, 18:20
No i thought I had offended you Katie, i wasn't sure why - i just got really confused, I took the tone of your reply completely wrong. I have PM'd you.. sorry again for any confusion, blame my tiredness today!! take care xx

wiskersonkittens
09-03-11, 18:53
I just read about this last night, in fact. I am reading a book called THE WORRY CURE and he talks about this. True -- it is thinking about something over and over, but the author distinguishes it from actual worry. He states, "worry involves predictions about what will happen in the future while rumination involves a review of what is going on now or what happened before." "If you ruminate you believe that if you keep thinking about your problem you will find a solution .." "It increases your awareness about how bad you feel .."
Hugs, Wiskers ~

Katie6
09-03-11, 18:56
No i thought I had offended you Katie, i wasn't sure why - i just got really confused, I took the tone of your reply completely wrong. I have PM'd you.. sorry again for any confusion, blame my tiredness today!! take care xx

Thank-you for your reply glad we sorted that confusion out xx:hugs:

Katie6
09-03-11, 18:58
I just read about this last night, in fact. I am reading a book called THE WORRY CURE and he talks about this. True -- it is thinking about something over and over, but the author distinguishes it from actual worry. He states, "worry involves predictions about what will happen in the future while rumination involves a review of what is going on now or what happened before." "If you ruminate you believe that if you keep thinking about your problem you will find a solution .." "It increases your awareness about how bad you feel .."
Hugs, Wiskers ~

Maybe i should try to invest in this book, may be helpfull in my recovery x

wiskersonkittens
10-03-11, 01:43
Yes, I highly recommend it. It is very good and even kind of entertaining. He is so right on the money with things -- someone we can relate to. :) I'll look up the author and get back to you. :)