PDA

View Full Version : Exercise??

ames
09-03-11, 17:18
Does anyone else who suffers from panic attacks find that exercise makes them feel worse?? It's like any adrenaline has a negative effect on me, makes me shake and feel dizzy!! I thought I was doing better, so went to the gym and had to leave after 20 mins!! It felt like a drop in sugar, but know that it wasn't as I had plenty to eat during the day. They say exercise is good for panic, but at the moment it just makes me feel worse!! Any advice would be appreciated!

Joannaglassheart
09-03-11, 17:56
Hi!!!!!

Yes I get EXACTLY the same thing!!!! I used to go to the gym but could only stay for 10 - 20 mins as I used to feel awful!!! I have tried just exercising in the fresh air.....i.e. walking. I still avoid steep hilly areas because I am frightened of the physical exersion!

I have an appointment next week at the gym as I have been referred by my GP so I am hoping my new instructor will fix me up with a nice easy programme to start off with. I think maybe just to get used to being there start off doing stretches and weights plus a few sit ups. Then I might move on to the more serious cardio stuff when I am more confident! :yesyes:

ames
09-03-11, 18:04
Thanks!! I am going to try to build myself up at home, doing dvd's etc then see where I go from there!! I need to do it as I'm needing to lose a few pounds for my wedding, but even with that in my mind today it didn't stop me feeling awful! Good luck with your gym appointment, let me know how it goes. Xx

sarahblonde32
09-03-11, 18:44
hi,

I strongly believe in exercise as a help for health, but you do have to be careful and it depends on what you want from it. Saying that i have been going to the gym after a break and im finding it hard, but im determined to see it through and after i have pushed through im ok, i actually like the feeling. I used to be a dancer and was very fit, and when i stopped i felt terrible. i am now very miserable, grumpy, anxious and feel very unfit. i recommend classes as they are more fun, but def get a personal trainer or go with someone. and you have to try and push through. as long as you take it easy and have eaten, you should be fine. start with a walk on the treadmill, keep drinking water, listen to some music and i find watching all the blokes lift the weights help! do some small hand weights too, or maybe a swim, go when its quiet if you can, or try Zumba or a dance class.
hope it helps, honestly the buzz you get from a workout is great, if you can get there..
sarahx

ames
09-03-11, 21:00
Thanks Sarah, I'm going to keep trying!! I'm very determined!! X

sarahblonde32
09-03-11, 22:13
i went this evening, quite busy but im finding easier each time i go. did 15 mins on the treadmill instead of the usual 10 so thats good, and watched the tv and just pushed on!
lots of blokes to oggle helped too!!
sarahx

Chriswebster
09-03-11, 22:31
Hi hi. Just personal experience but I love a workout and generally find it very calming and positive. There are occasions when it makes me feel weird dizzy and horrible, but they are usually linked to how stressed out I am when I go. So I fully sympathise with that.

I second Sarah's advice to go steady and push through if you can. If you get a PT instructor to help, tell them about your condition and get them onside from the start. They will keep a close eye on you.

And as for oggling the guys with the weights; well why not! Like to think I get oggled whilst huffing and sweating over a dumbell! Hehe.

39 today friends! Woo.

Chris x

Chriswebster
09-03-11, 22:37
And!!!!... as Sarah said grab a gym buddy if you can. Always easier to train with someone either for company or competition. Helps as psychological back up for us panic types if we have a chum with us too.
Chris x

pettersonjack123
12-03-11, 13:27
i have a simular feeling after exerise and i also get pins and needles feeling in arms, legs and back after exersize, so yes to your question but i've been told it helps in the long term!

ames
13-03-11, 16:58
Thanks for your replies. I did some exercise at home on Friday and was ok, just pushed through the feeling!! Might be a while before I brave the gym again though!!

jothenurse
13-03-11, 17:07
Good for you for exercising.
I keep trying, but when my pulse gets elevated, I get scared because it's like the tachycardia I get with panic attacks. So, I have a ways to go to get over that.
Keep up the good work.

seekingpeace
13-03-11, 20:38
Tread mills do that to me! I had a trainer tell me to sit down and rest because my heart rate was so high!

I changed to bike riding. I am out in nature and it is much more calming to me with bike trails, ducks on the water, sun in the sky, etc.

Tish
14-03-11, 05:02
Does anyone else who suffers from panic attacks find that exercise makes them feel worse?? It's like any adrenaline has a negative effect on me, makes me shake and feel dizzy!! I thought I was doing better, so went to the gym and had to leave after 20 mins!! It felt like a drop in sugar, but know that it wasn't as I had plenty to eat during the day. They say exercise is good for panic, but at the moment it just makes me feel worse!! Any advice would be appreciated!

It happened to me when I went for my first game of tennis this year. I suffer from social anxiety but there was no-one else about and 5 mins into the game I felt really panicky, it was like, 'where the heck did THAT come from?' It felt totally physiological rather than psychological, T x :unsure:

ames
23-03-11, 18:17
Well, just been to my first zumba class and was fine!! Told my instructor beforehand about anxiety and he said he suffered aswell!! But said that zumba made him feel better, and you know what? I feel better too!! Really happy!! :)