PDA

View Full Version : Is it always best to continually try to change?

harasgenster
10-03-11, 10:24
Hi
After having a particularly bad day yesterday self-esteem-wise (and thank you to for all the people who gave me great support on here), I began wondering whether the feeling that "I have to change this, I have to make myself better" is always helpful or whether I am simply putting myself under more pressure. A psychotherapist once told me that I needed to learn to "sit with my feelings" and allow them to be instead of constantly trying to fix my negative emotions and thoughts, or telling myself to be logical. He said that emotions can be irrational and that's ok.

This seems counter-intuitive to me because I suppose I believe that the only way to get better is to be vigilant and ensure you are always challenging yourself, but then I suppose that 12 years on this attitude hasn't helped much.

What does everybody else think? Is everybody finding that reading self-help books/doing courses/making continual efforts to change themselves for the better (or rather change their perspective) is helping or could this only be helpful for some people? Do we need a balance? I am worried that if I am not constantly vigilant and constantly trying to improve I will get worse, but is this necessarily the case or am I just putting far too much pressure on myself?

My others thought was that I do not accept that anxiety is part of me or my identity. I do not consider myself to be an anxious person but simply a person who feels anxious - i.e. anxiety has happened to me but it is not part of my personality and is in fact very separate from any feelings of "who I am". I always thought this attitude was helpful but now I wonder whether this shows I am unaccepting of anxiety as an illness.

I just wanted people's thoughts on this and to see how other people's experiences have been. What sort of techniques do you use and do you ever "sit with your feelings" or allow yourself to feel bad without trying to fight it? Have you found this has been helpful?

Thanks

munkeyinblack
10-03-11, 10:30
i think we forget that everyone has bad days, and every time we wake up feeling a bit low or unimportant we assume its a massive step back and things are going to go back to the way we were and everything we have done to get better is worthless.

Blips happen to the best of us but i have to say that i found the books i read to be helpful but i found changing myself wasnt the answer either. Its ok to have bad days but its how we pick ourselves up and move forward that counts....... well for me anyway

sorry to hear you had a bad day, hope you are feeling better now

tc munkey
x

harasgenster
10-03-11, 10:41
Its ok to have bad days but its how we pick ourselves up and move forward that counts

That's a very good point.

blueangel
11-03-11, 11:59
I agree with what the psychotherapist said, to be honest. One of the most valuable things I have learnt from CBT is mindfulness, where the principle is to be aware of your thoughts and acknowledge them, but just to let them pass through your mind without holding on to them. It's very important to "be" as I think otherwise we can't appreciate who we are as we are constantly trying to analyse and dissect everything.

Neo
11-03-11, 12:20
My, this is a tough one. I guess it works differently from person to person and depends on what that person wants out of life and how they want to manage their anxiety. From my thinking, there are three ways to do things: review, preview and react.

Review would be to look back over the last day or so and analyse how things went.
Preview would be to look forward at events to come and analyse which might flare your anxiety.
React would be to ignore the above and just react to things as they happen.

Which would you say you do?

harasgenster
11-03-11, 12:27
Review would be to look back over the last day or so and analyse how things went.
Preview would be to look forward at events to come and analyse which might flare your anxiety.
React would be to ignore the above and just react to things as they happen.

Which would you say you do?

I think I probably preview more than I react or review. I rarely review, I don't think. Although I know part of CBT is appreciating when good things happen. Finding that one quite difficult. I got some really good news yesterday, I was so excited I was shaking, but that lasted about two minutes before it felt like nothing good had happened at all. It was something I had achieved as well, people keep telling me to try and let those things sink in but I don't feel any emotion about good things, I just feel blank. So review may be useful to that extent.