PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone gone to stay in hospital for Depression/Anxiety?

loops81
10-03-11, 10:28
My b/f keeps saying that he wants to go in hospital while he feels so low and anxious.

He said he is willing to use all the money he has to go there.

Has anyone done this and does it help?

Thanks x

harasgenster
10-03-11, 11:00
Hi. Not sure if they do this. Psych wards tend to be for people who are very unstable/having psychotic breaks/at a high risk of suicide etc. Beds are in short supply and private hospitals may not take people on.

I'm not sure about this at all, that was just what I'd always assumed.

If it helps at all. I often wish I could be kept safe in a hospital and have time to rest, imagining that I would be better when I came out. I wonder if it just has something to do with being ill and associating cures with hospitals.

I'm sure people here will be able to give better opinions on this because I don't really know, but from what I've heard, life on a psych ward is not nice and I'm really not sure it would make him feel better.

JaneC
10-03-11, 11:28
Hi Loops, sorry you are both going through this. Can't answer your question directly but wondered if you might need some support and advice on what's best for him at the moment. Link below contains some details of where you might get it.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/HealthAndSupport/MentalHealth/DG_10023332

Apologies if this isn't helpful and I hope your boyfriend starts to feel better soon :hugs:

oldtime
10-03-11, 11:54
I often felt like this when anxiety was bad, you feel like you will be safe in a hospital. But on reflection what can they do for you, you will not sleep well with all the disturbances, a psychiatric ward would be quite frightening and there is no treatment that can be given other than CBT, AD's and tranquilizers. You would be sent home again.

honeyp1e
10-03-11, 12:00
hi am sorry your BF is feeling this way but i no how he is feeling i haven't stopped crying now for days on end i really think am having a MENTAL BREAK-DOWN if only i knew what it was but i think i am having one i want to get put into hospital just until am better but am so scared of leaving my children and that they wont let me out once i go in there but i have begged my local mental health crisis team only to be told they don't really put people away anymore unless they are harm to themselves or other people (so is this what i have to do to get the help i need??)
I just feel i can't cope anymore i have hit rock bottom and there is no-were left for me to turn am sick of the tears sick of all the sensations and constant panic and anxiety am having i really didn't think things could get this bad and why have i let it get so bad i just don't no what to do am not eating/ sleeping or anything any more i give up :(

is your BF on any meds ??

elainey70
10-03-11, 12:07
Hi loops,

I took a breakdown last August and was admitted to a psych ward for 3 weeks, i was discharged and then re admitted 5 days later, and stayed another 3 weeks after that. Initially i was relieved to be there and didnt want to leave, but it is a false environment, even after been discharged i was stilll very unwell and suffered severe anxiety, which went on for months. I don't think hospital is the answer, although for some it's reached a real crisis and they do need admission. I will say that their are some very unwell people in the wards and it's not an ideal place to be, i sincerely hope i never have to be admitted again. Hope your boyfriend gets well soon. goog luck x

harasgenster
10-03-11, 12:09
so is this what i have to do to get the help i need??

Hi, someone has mentioned above that they can't do much more few you in hospital than they can outside of hospital - pills, tranquilisers and therapy is what they offer whether you are inside or out.

I'd say to you and to Loopy's boyfriend that many of us here have been through a similar phase and we have pulled through and we don't feel as bad now as we did then. It's a horrible feeling to have and I understand completely why you want the help you think a hospital may be able to provide, but in reality the hospital can't help you anymore than your GP and a psych ward may be a very stressful place that could make you worse. You will get better. I've been in a similar position albeit quite a long time ago now. Things get better the more you are committed to getting better (which I think both of you are). Just keep trying, you'll get there in the end :)

loops81
10-03-11, 12:11
Thank you both for the replies, I really appreciate it.

He does have homecare at the moment and they did offer to take him to stay on a ward due to the suicidal thoughts.

He is in his sisters car now having a panic attack :( she is not in there, she will be about 1 hour!

loops81
10-03-11, 13:13
hi am sorry your BF is feeling this way but i no how he is feeling i haven't stopped crying now for days on end i really think am having a MENTAL BREAK-DOWN if only i knew what it was but i think i am having one i want to get put into hospital just until am better but am so scared of leaving my children and that they wont let me out once i go in there but i have begged my local mental health crisis team only to be told they don't really put people away anymore unless they are harm to themselves or other people (so is this what i have to do to get the help i need??)
I just feel i can't cope anymore i have hit rock bottom and there is no-were left for me to turn am sick of the tears sick of all the sensations and constant panic and anxiety am having i really didn't think things could get this bad and why have i let it get so bad i just don't no what to do am not eating/ sleeping or anything any more i give up :(

is your BF on any meds ??

Oh i really hope you feel better soon hun, are you on any meds?

He is on Olanzapine, Diazipam and Mirtazipine (only day 9 of Mirt)

honeyp1e
10-03-11, 16:46
Hi, someone has mentioned above that they can't do much more few you in hospital than they can outside of hospital - pills, tranquilisers and therapy is what they offer whether you are inside or out.

I'd say to you and to Loopy's boyfriend that many of us here have been through a similar phase and we have pulled through and we don't feel as bad now as we did then. It's a horrible feeling to have and I understand completely why you want the help you think a hospital may be able to provide, but in reality the hospital can't help you anymore than your GP and a psych ward may be a very stressful place that could make you worse. You will get better. I've been in a similar position albeit quite a long time ago now. Things get better the more you are committed to getting better (which I think both of you are). Just keep trying, you'll get there in the end :)

am just stuck in a rut and cant get out how did you manage to get through it ??

honeyp1e
10-03-11, 16:47
Oh i really hope you feel better soon hun, are you on any meds?

He is on Olanzapine, Diazipam and Mirtazipine (only day 9 of Mirt)

am on propranolol 80mg, i have diazipam to take when needed but still am in a bad way x

slimjim
11-03-11, 16:25
[QUOTE=honeyp1e;806620]hi am sorry your BF is feeling this way but i no how he is feeling i haven't stopped crying now for days on end i really think am having a MENTAL BREAK-DOWN if only i knew what it was but i think i am having one i want to get put into hospital just until am better but am so scared of leaving my children and that they wont let me out once i go in there but i have begged my local mental health crisis team only to be told they don't really put people away anymore unless they are harm to themselves or other people (so is this what i have to do to get the help i need??)

hi im sorry to hear you are wer u are but take it from me you will get betteri have been in and out of anxiety and depression for about 18 yrs i havent took meds even though they were given to me want to do this on my own i had a bad bout about four weeks ago just getting over it now still a long way to go i know its hard i try my best to carry on as normal to be a good father good husband go to work and do all that i did before this ilness came along its hard to work normal when you have all theses feelings inside you fear scared horrible sinking feeling not sleeping not eating a zombie like exsistence but honestly you can and will get better its all to do with your thought pattern you are creating a second fear cycle you are scared or your symptoms oh no here they come again so your body reacts by producing more adrenlin which in turn tenses you more im no expert im not claming to be im explaining how it is for me and mabey you can see yourself in what i say ive been helped so much by three books from dr clair weeks she explains to accept face and float past our sensations ands then let time pass but most of all i have the support of my loving wife which gets me through so much please dont hesitate to contact me if you need more info or just want to chat