PDA

View Full Version : Diazepam before endoscopy tomorrow

dmb123
10-03-11, 15:15
Hello, I am due to have an endoscopy tomorrow morning at 8am and terrified. I had one years ago and thought I was choking. MY GP has given me 2.5mg diazepam tablets but I don't know how many to take or when to take them. I was thinking of taking 5mg tonight so I don't lie awake panicking thinking about it and then another 5mg before I go for the test.
Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Donna x

harasgenster
10-03-11, 15:18
Have you taken them before? Take whatever dose you were told to last time - I always stuck to one pill.

If you take it before the endoscopy make sure you tell the docs. If you are too anxious they may need to sedate you and they need to know you have already taken a tranquiliser if that happens. If they have to sedate you you need to take someone with you to get you home afterwards.

Don't worry too much. I had one last year and it was fine. Sound much scarier than it is. Try to relax.

nomorepanic
10-03-11, 15:19
I would personally say that 5mg was a bit too much.

Why don't you just try 2.5mg tonight and see how you feel. That may be enough

dmb123
10-03-11, 16:07
Thank you for replying, I will take your advice and just try 2.5mg tonight.

Donna x

seekingpeace
13-03-11, 20:41
Good luck with your endoscopy. My husband has had several. They give you a standard IV and put the "sleep" medication into it. You will be asleep the whole time. When you wake up, it will be over. Your throat may be a little sore, but that's about it. Ask for juice or a COKE when you wake up with lots of ice. They do tons and tons of these procedures every day and they are outpatient - you will get to go home the same day. My thoughts are with you - sending positive energy your way!