PDA

View Full Version : Travelling and emetophobia (please help!)

FireFlyyy
10-03-11, 15:28
Hey everyone,

We put our house up for sale today which Im so so excited about. We are moving 400 miles away to Kent, hopefully by the sea! The problem is, we are meant to be going to look for houses on Sunday for a week, which requires a 400 mile trip in the car. I have never been a fan of travelling because I get huge anxiety about travel sickness and panic attacks which causes nausea which in turn, sets off my emetophobia.

Im looking for some support/encouragement/advice really. What are the chances of me vomitting if I take the anti-emetic drug Prochlorperazine? Im going to be in the car for 4 straight hours, if not more, and I get huge anxiety and panic (and nausea from the anxiety) with all of this…is this anti emetic strong enough to override all of this?

Im really wondering if making the trip is worth it at all. My mother said she would go on her own, but Ive missed out on so much do due my emet that I want to be able to do "something", you know?

Please help:meh::sad:

Lucie

FireFlyyy
11-03-11, 12:28
Someone? :weep:

nickinoo30
11-03-11, 15:43
Hi Lucie

Try not to panic - it will make things worse (which Im sure you know!)

Im sure you will be fine on the tablet you are going to take. The alternative is you taking a travel sickness pill? There are a couple about that I know of that are anti-emetic namely Avomine (I use this a lot for my emet) and phenergan. However, they can make you drowsy - This may or may not be a good thing for you. Avomin makes me really sleepy within about 30 mins so I take that one at night if I want a good nights sleep.

I really think you should try and make the trip, it will do you the world of good.

Have you thought about CBT? Although I am recommending drugs to you, obviously its not the best thing, a short term fix yes to get you through the travel but long term you should try and see you doctor.

Good luck and let us know how is goes!