PDA

View Full Version : palpitations

konky
10-03-11, 19:39
hi there. i took cocaine around june last year and i felt pretty shitty ever since. i've stopped doing any kind of drugs (even aspirin and paracetemol) and lived a little healthier aside from what has pretty much become alcoholism. i went to hospital after having a panic attack and they did and ECG which came up clear and my pulse and blood pressure were both normal too. i've been having palpatations for quite a while and panic attacks almost every week. i'm going out of my mind. could this have damaged me long term or is it just anciety/panic disorder?

as well as this palpatating i have a kind of dull feeling in my head pretty much constantly but i forget all bout these symptoms when i get stuck into something (work etc.) please help!!!!!

ann88
10-03-11, 19:57
Hi, just a quick message to let you know that you have not damaged yourself long term because of taking cocaine. My panic attacks also started after I started taking cocaine, and if I could turn back the clock I would. But I can't, and neither can anyone else. If cocaine was going to cause you any problems with your heart etc., it would have happened on the night, not months down the line. I know how you feel but you just have to try and accept that you are fine, you've been checked over medically, and there is nothing wrong. If you really feel like you need more reassurance you could ask your doctor to arrange a 24 hr tape or an echocardiogram. The fact that you forget about your symptoms when you distract yourself proves that it is nothing to worry about.

Try to relax, and maybe cut back on the drinking if you can, as this will probably be exacerbating the anxiety. I've had anxiety and panic attacks for about 4 yrs now (since taking cocaine and I used to smoke a lot of cannabis as well) and I'm still here. You're fine!!

konky
10-03-11, 20:05
wow. you sound like a direct clone of me!!!! it's good to know that and it's kind of what i assumed was true. i have questioned and questioned everywhere i could find on the internet and you have given me the only true answer and the only one that relives some of my fears. i'm going to get a blood test as soon as i can and seek counselling. once that is done i can get on with my life and start to enjoy myself again.

i use alcohol as a cheap yet seeimngly effective cure for my problems but it's just doing more harm in the long run so i'm going to calm it down. thank you so much :D

ann88
10-03-11, 21:30
Aah no problem, I'm just happy that you feel a bit reassured to know that you're not the only one who's experienced this, not by far. I have had the exact same worries as you. I ended up in A&E after my 1st panic attack. I took coke for the 1st time, then did it every night for about a week. The 1st night of not having any coke, I got stoned, one minute I was laughing my head off, the next I was throwing up, in a blind panic, heart racing, thought I was on my death bed. Since then I've developed agoraphobia, panic attacks, and general anxiety about my heart. I've been through periods of having thousands of ectopic beats in a day, funny 'heart flutters' that have scared the life out of me, and lots of other things like pain in chest, arms, jaw, and for a long time I was convinced that I had damaged myself with the coke. But no, I'm still here, I've had all the tests and my heart is fine. I just have anxiety.

I would definitely recommend that you get some CBT, and I'm sure this will really help with the anxiety. Try not to keep putting it off, as the sooner you do it the sooner you can start taking control of your life again. I'm sure alcohol does help in the short term (after all how many millions of people turn to alcohol to help them cope?) but you're right, it is doing more harm than good, and I'm sure you would feel better if you cut back on that, even if only a little to start with.

Anyway sorry for the rambling, hope you feel better soon :)