PDA

View Full Version : A total revelation! I feel like I could get better now

harasgenster
11-03-11, 13:09
Hi
Some of you will have seen that I have been posting here regularly recently and a lot of my posts have been quite confused and rambling, mostly because I could never put my finger on what was wrong and was just grasping for reasons, I just didn't know why I was upset.

I've just done the deeper thoughts exercise from CBT which Robin Hall, who posted about his book here recently, helped me with. I'd done something similar before but I was asking myself the wrong questions, I think, because I just couldn't seem to get to the bottom of it.

But I've had something of a revelation today that has given me a lot of hope that I can get to grips with my illness and begin to understand why I feel the way I do. I've had such problems with low self-esteem and I haven't known why because I seem to at the same time think I am "great" and "terrible" (which has led me to be diagnosed as bipolar, but this doesn't seem right because I don't have mood swings).

I also wrote the other day that I needed to be told I was special or people needed to use hyperbole with me (tell me I was "the best" or "amazing" etc.).

I've been told by my parents that when I entered primary school I went from being an extremely confident and happy toddler to a really stressed and unhappy kid - my character completely changed. The reason for this was that I was immediately outcast and I couldn't bond with the others, everybody was so different from me. I got through it by telling myself that different meant "special" not "wrong", but as I got older I needed to see more and more evidence of this to support that belief. Recently, through a few bad patches in my life, that belief has been questioned and I stopped feeling like I was special. Because of the dichotomy I'd put together when I was about 5, I suddenly reverted to feeling "wrong" or just massively beneath everyone else, but at the same time, inside, I was still trying to tell myself I was special, which is how I can be so confused about what I think of myself all the time.

I didn't think I thought about any of this anymore. I thought it was in the past. But everything psychotherapists have told me about my parents hasn't struck a chord with me and this really does. I can easily connect this very simple dichotomy to almost every worry I have! It explains almost everything and what's most important is that I can see it is absurd. I've struggled to not believe my surface thoughts because they seem so real, but this, while ringing many bells, seems like something I could challenge.

Anyway, massive post but I feel really excited about this. This is the first time in ages I've felt like I know what's wrong, instead of just feeling a general "upset" that I find it difficult to connect with anything - I just kept trying to justify it with a different thought each week :)

Of course, I could be wrong, and tomorrow I might suddenly realise that its far more complex than this but I feel like I've got a starting point now.

Long live CBT! (And thank you Robin)

cathy s
11-03-11, 17:36
I'm pleased for you harasgenster! Good luck with this.
Cathy

nomorepanic
11-03-11, 18:08
Lovely to read this and I am so pleased to hear you sounding so upbeat.

I am promoting Robin's CBT programme at the moment (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=91696) so I am glad he has been a big help to you.

diane07
11-03-11, 20:16
I'm doing the same CBT course and loving it.

Well done harasgengster and keep us posted on how it all goes, if you need any added support feel free to pm me aswell hun.

Onwards and upwards :yesyes:

di xx

harasgenster
12-03-11, 13:15
Thanks all. I've put a lot of thought into what I can do about this. Obviously, different doesn't mean special or wrong and part of my problem perhaps was that such an argument was so flimsy! Of course I never believed I was special, it would take quite a character to ever believe that of themselves! But I did have to be told or see evidence as much as I possibly could just to counterbalance the feeling that I wasn't good enough. I worked myself to the bone at university because I HAD to get the best marks in the year. Otherwise I couldn't tell myself I that I had something special, rather than just sticking out. Of course, this means I'm never truly happy when I achieve things because I'm only ever relieved.

The first thing I thought when I discovered this may be part of my problem was that I have to learn that different doesn't mean "wrong", so I've put a post-it note on my computer with those words on it so that when I start feeling bad I've got a little reminder there to really think about why I'm feeling bad and if I have good reason to or if it's just because of this ridiculous rule I've made up!

The next stage, I think, is to tell myself I'm not different. Everybody's different and just because I didn't really meet anyone like me until I was 11, that's not proof that I'm different. I have lots of friends who are all a bit eccentric like me. Fair enough, when I speak to people outside my little group sometimes they tell me I'm weird (Why do people do that to your face?!) but the people who really matter to me never think that. They love the fact I think a little bit differently to the majority, because they think the same way. Just because I like playing scrabble more than drinking, just because I've never been in a club or learned how to put make-up on properly, just because I didn't really like drugs and I find clothes shopping boring - all of this doesn't mean that I am worse than other young women or that there's something wrong with me. Some of my friends are the same and I don't think they're weird or different!

It means that I find it difficult quite often when I have to leave my little crowd and I'm surrounded by people talking about how much they threw up last time they were out (I really just can't get my head around this sort of thing). But I'm only finding it difficult because it's a different sort of culture to the one I live in with my little group of friends. It doesn't mean I'm not cool or I'm not fun or that I'm somehow dull or plain or naive. Maybe I'm just cool and fun in a different way (and different doesn't mean worse!)

The big one I have to get around is "different doesn't mean special". Like I say, I clearly never believed this because if I truly did I wouldn't have been so desperate for outside evidence. Of course I'm not special, or at least I am no more special than anyone else, and I know this and always did. The question I always had for myself was if I know I'll never be "special" and I also don't think anybody is more important than others then why do I feel like I need to stand out from the crowd? I always felt guilty and embarrassed because I thought I was somehow being arrogant to want to be "the best", but I guess if I was arrogant I would already believe I was "the best" wouldn't I? Really, it seems clear to me now, when I think back to past experiences, that I've been through little things when I was younger that told me "be the best or be nothing". The only attention I got from other kids and even the teachers was that I could play the piano well. Later, I was known by my secondary school as "the weirdo" (I mean really, people still refer to me as that in the little town I grew up in!) But the saving grace was that I was the weirdo at the top of the class. That's where all the compliments that came to me came from. That's how I could find praise. But when I got ill and I couldn't concentrate I was "just a weirdo" - all of a sudden there was no praise but only criticism - I felt forgotten and at the bottom of the pack.

So essentially, I never really wanted to stand out from the crowd, I just believed that I already stuck out like a sore thumb and would always be sectioned off from others - I wanted to make it feel like I was different in a good way rather than a bad way, so that I could deal with the fact I didn't fit in. But the truth nowadays is that in my little circle I do fit in and I don't need to fit in everywhere, just with those I feel comfortable.

So that's the big one I need to get over. I don't need to try and be perfect at things just to stop people thinking I'm a weirdo. The people I care about don't think I'm a weirdo anyway, and if other people do then I guess we don't really have enough in common to be friends. All of this stuff is in the past. I'm not less important than anyone else and I don't need to do better than other people just to raise me to their level. In other words, I don't need to be "special" in order to be "normal". Think this is going to take some time, but hopefully if I just keep reminding myself, it will get better.

This has been a much larger post than I expected, but if no one minds, I'll leave it here since in trying to explain myself to others I've written a lot of things that I need to keep re-reading myself!

Thyme
12-03-11, 16:00
Hi Haras

You sound so much happier today and I am pleased. You are special in exactly the same way that everyone is special, you are different in exactly the same way that everyone is different.

Actually I don't think that being "weird" is something to worry about, after all it says more about the people who say that about you than it does about you. After all what is weird? My daughter talls me I am weird but she says she means it in a nice way...not sure I understand that either! But I don't mind.

Anyway I am glad you are feeling on the up...let us know how you get on...I was thinking of that CBT thing for myself so do report back

Take care

Hazel B
12-03-11, 18:34
Well done and thanks to Robin.:D

harasgenster
13-03-11, 10:48
Thank you for your replies :) And can I just offer you both a big congratulations for getting through that essay! If I were you I would have given up half way through :)

I haven't had a look at Robin's book yet but I will this week. Hope everybody looking at it is getting what they need :D