PDA

View Full Version : Driving Test Phobia - Help!

Kate31
12-03-11, 20:24
Hello everyone, I failed my 1st driving test at 17 years old as I was immature and had a serious accident. Since that time I've had 5 further driving tests: 2 of which I failed due to extreme nerves; one I had to stop mid-way through due to a panic attack, and the last two I couldn't even get into the waiting room at the test centre as I had a serious panic attack before each test in the instructor's car!:weep:

The odd thing is I have no other history of panic attacks and in general I'm good at passing exams. My instructors all say I'm a good driver when not in a test situation. This is my only phobia, but it's a serious one. It's taken 20 years of my life and destroyed my self-esteem. And I really need that licence!

So far I've tried NLP and home hynotherapy recordings, but they haven't helped much.

Should I ask my doctor for anti-anxiety medications? Has anybody else had any experience of this phobia? Any suggestions very gratefully received!

Thanks! :)

Deepest Blue
12-03-11, 23:16
Hi Kate,

I am in exactly the same situation as you with this. I've failed two tests but that's only because I even panic about booking them. In all honestly, with all the years I've been taking driving lessons I should have been driving by now but I also bottle it. I only booked those two tests because my instructor did if for me. I have tried so many ways to try and not feel so anxious during test but I can't help myself, the feelings just continue to overwhelm me and during the tests I can feel myself really tensing up, sweating, breathing really fast and all the other symptoms you get with panic and even with all this I only fail with too many minors in the same area which is because I am not driving smoothly so the clutch control, timing of the gear changes and so forth not being timed correctly because of course I am anxious.

Unfortunately, I've given up now, my last test was last summer and I did book a 3rd but I kept postponing it until my Theory expired so now I'd have to take that again...it's all one big expensive mess which I think I'd be better off not worring about it any longer... Shame because I have a lovely Focus waiting for me in my garage which I thought I would be driving by now, but looks like I may have to sell it when I have the heart to.

Sorry if this post hasn't really helped your own situation but it's more of a case to say I really do know how you're feeling and just to say don't give up like me and continue to stick with it, ask your GP if you can take something to help you relax, also what I used to do is prepare a routine a week or so before, eg, listening to soft music, early nights, no coffee or tea, I just tried to get through the week by giving my body and mind the best treatment and although it did work in some ways (eg, it did make me feel better), it still wasn't enough for me but that's not to say that this preperation wouldn't work for someone else.... you'll get there :)

Take care :)

happysoon?
14-03-11, 21:02
I feel exactly the same, have failed seven tests because I had a really bad experience with my first test (had a really critical examiner and just went to bits). I even panic when I book my test too! I've been learning to drive for ten years and must admit that I get bored in my driving lessons now and have picked up a lot of bad habits. I always get stupidly nervous before a test and during the test my mind goes blank and I fail on the silliest of things.
If you or anyone finds anything that helps please let me know as it would help me greatly. I've got a new job where I pretty much really need to be able to drive, and I hate the fact something so small prevents me from doing my best at this.

blueangel
15-03-11, 08:57
I didn't learn to drive until I was 30, as I was involved in a really bad road accident when I was 17 and it put me off driving for a number of years. I passed on my third attempt - I just took the first test too soon, then made some silly mistakes on the second one. What helped me was changing the test centre; it felt like I was starting again in a new area and what had happened before didn't seem to matter. I've now been driving for 20 years and I love it - it's given me so much freedom and I'm a confident driver.

My mother had quite a few problems when she learnt - it took her 5 attempts to pass her test, and that was mainly because she used to panic and forget basic stuff. In the end, she took her test in a more rural area where there was less traffic, and that seemed to do the trick for her.

Kate31
15-03-11, 13:05
Hello everyone, and thank you for your empathy! :hugs:

I feel sorry for Deepest Blue. I hope you can find a solution which works for you so that you can finally enjoy your car!! I'm not sure whether I'm lucky or not that giving up is just not an option for me as I have two kids and live in an area with no public transport.

So far, I've done two things which may help me: 1) I went to a sympathetic doctor who's prescribed me a short-term anti-anxiety drug. 2) I've bought a book called "L of a way to pass" by a lady called Diane Hall. I've spoken to Diane on the phone, and she teaches something called Thought Field Therapy, which is apparently used for the treatment of PTSD amongst other things. She claims around a 90% success rate, so I'll be giving that a try. Apparently driving test horror stories are surprisingly common. Anything is worth a go!

Deepest Blue
21-03-11, 01:16
Hi Kate, I wish you the best of luck and I hope you do it :)

MissP
25-03-14, 09:34
Hi everyone,
I had completely lost any faith that I would ever pass my driving test after 4 failed tests and 3 different driving instructors. One of whom gave me a particular fear of the examiners. I also felt tense in driving lessons, terrified about getting things wrong and when they did, believing it was proof that I wasn’t up to passing my test. When I visualised the test I felt as though the situation was completely out of my control, including the car. Even on mock tests I would start feeling tense and even trembling. After getting upset during one such mock test, when I completely forgot how to do a manoeuvre due to nerves, I realised that the only way I would ever pass my test was if I could control my nerves and learn to relax behind the wheel. After some research on what was available on the internet, I purchased the ‘Getting through your driving test’ and the ‘new perspectives’ brain training digital downloads. I found the ‘new perspectives’ download useful for changing my attitude in driving lessons; helping me relax and not feel that every mistake I made was a disaster. The ‘Getting through your driving test’ download really helped me think about the test in a much more attainable, positive light which really helped me relax the night before the test and helped me focus on the goal of passing my test during it, rather than being overcome by anxieties. I have now passed my driving test after my fifth attempt and I believe this could have happened sooner if I had used this resource earlier. To find the resources, Google Appzaps and go on 'enhancing performance'.
Good luck with taking your driving tests in the future everyone, you CAN do it! :yesyes:

geminiwoman
18-11-15, 17:47
Hi All

I have never driven before. Started with 40 classes. My second parking test is tomorrow. During first attempt, I cleared Slope and Emergency Parking. But unable to pass Parallel, Garage and Angle Parking. The turning of steering was too slow during Parallel Parking and then I started panicking and messed the rest 2. Today was my revision lesson and my performance was mixed for instance 2/3 times I have managed to park the vehicle perfectly and then again errors. The fear is more of passing the parking test and what if I fail then more money. Even I have asked my instructor if I should appear for the test tomorrow but she seemed not sure. Then again I was already late to push back my parking test dates. Have been through sleepless nights and tend to worry or remembering the steps for each parking. Most often my errors are either turning of steering too fast for Garage Parking or too slow for Parallel. Can anyone please help how I can stop worrying or get rid of fear.:weep: Thanks June

jimsmrs
19-11-15, 15:53
I passed my test 5 years ago at 53, failed on my first attempt, due to shakey legs !!!! I changed driving schools, who was mre experienced with nervous drivers.
I had my own car, a P reg Corsa Automatic.

I had my test booked a 4 times but the weather up here was at the time was snowing and ice, so 4 times the test centre cancelled. By the time another test was arranged it was June, that's how long the waiting list was because of all the cancellations. My driving instructor had her holiday booked for the same week as my test!!!! She told me I could take the test in my own car, so for the last few lessons before my test she took me out in my Corsa.
I got special day insurance to cover the examiner, even though I had fully comp insurance on the Corsa I didn't want to leave anything to chance. I bought myself a bottle of Bachs rescue remedy aswell. I felt a little nervous, mainly because there was no dual controls Anyway I passed my test with flying colours and no faults,

don't know if it was the Bach's or the fact it was my own car that helped me pass.

If your instructor is confident in you,try to think of it as another lesson with a different instructor.

Good luck