PDA

View Full Version : Sure it's MS...

kah
13-03-11, 10:17
God I feel awful this morning. I've tried to keep myself busy by doing a bit of cleaning but it's made me worry even more. My hands feel really strange, like I'm too aware of them. I've noticed quite a few times (not just today) I've gone to open a cupboard and completely missed the handle. My shoulders are really aching too and I felt like I couldn't hold the cleaning cloth properly!

I'm so scared, I've still not googled but just want to know if it's MS (I know absolutely nothing about the illness). I have a doc appt on Tuesday so will talk to him but as I've been to see him with a different problem pretty much every week he might not take me seriously. I keep a diary and had a look back yesterday and it seems I've been having the symptoms (leg/foot pain, funny feeling hands, achey shoulders, stiff neck, mis-judging movements, extreme tiredness) for quite some time but I was so focused on worrying about cancer that I didn't pay them any attention.

I feel so desperate I could take myself off to A&E but I know it's not a medical emergency and I don't want to waste the docs time. HELP!

K xx

devonowl
13-03-11, 11:02
I really worry about MS and motor neurone disease and I've been having the same symptoms hand wise (and pain by both my shoulders) so I know what your going through. It seems so real. One thing I have noticed that when I don't think about it (very very hard to do) I don't really notice anything. I can really sympathise though.

kah
13-03-11, 11:03
I really worry about MS and motor neurone disease and I've been having the same symptoms hand wise (and pain by both my shoulders) so I know what your going through. It seems so real. One thing I have noticed that when I don't think about it (very very hard to do) I don't really notice anything. I can really sympathise though.

Thanks for your reply. Have you seen your GP or had any tests?

devonowl
13-03-11, 11:14
Since September I have been to the doctors three times, I had to do this test where he held out his finger which I had to grab, he then got this hammer and gently hit my arms in certain places to check for reflexes. He then made me push my arms against his. I then went back a few weeks later because I was still worried, had a different doctor. This time i actually said what i thought it was, she gave me the same tests and got a needle and asked if I could feel it. I was diagnosed with health anxiety and given this quite heavy handed book to read, a few weeks later still got symptoms went to different doctor who then offered me counselling which I can't say has really helped. I still got the symptoms but a lot of mine seems to be in the elbows which worries me. I think as we both think its MS we are constantly checking our hands (going overboard) so we notice everything they do. We drop stuff all the time its only now we are thinking of something really bad. I know I do and the logical stuff just doesn't register!!

kah
13-03-11, 11:29
I'm worried as it's not just my hands but my legs and feet as well, oh and my neck which seems to be permanently stiff. I know I'm probably paying much more attention to my body now but I do remember going to change gear in the car and missing the gear stick a few times and that was way before I started worrying about MS.

Do you mis-judge things like when trying to open cupboards and miss the handle? Or have trouble getting words wrong, I'm constantly calling my daughters by each others name, I've never done that before - that's why I'm worried. I'm now thinking brain tumour - oh god I sound crazy :blush:

K xx

sandy40
13-03-11, 11:45
Hi my son has MS,id grab MS with both hands over my fear of "you know what" in a flash...your symptoms dont shout of MS to me..i think maybe ive got it,maybe ive passed it to my son..i know loads of people with MS and theres nothing about the illness i dont really know about so id calm down..both of you. xxxx:bighug1:

sandy40
13-03-11, 11:49
Kah,are you still on Mirtazapine?? im going cold turkey,i hate the thing,its not helping me calm down at all...im all achey too,maybe its the Mirt??? x

kah
13-03-11, 11:49
Hi my son has MS,id grab MS with both hands over my fear of "you know what" in a flash...your symptoms dont shout of MS to me..i think maybe ive got it,maybe ive passed it to my son..i know loads of people with MS and theres nothing about the illness i dont really know about so id calm down..both of you. xxxx:bighug1:
Thanks Sandy. I was having the same conversation in my head earlier, about what would be worse - obviously either of them would be devastating but it's funny how HA makes you feel. I often think if someone could hear the conversations I have in my head I'd be sectioned :ohmy:

Thanks for bringing me back to reality.
K xx

kah
13-03-11, 11:52
Kah,are you still on Mirtazapine?? im going cold turkey,i hate the thing,its not helping me calm down at all...im all achey too,maybe its the Mirt??? x

Yes I'm still on it. It has done absolutely nothing for my HA but it's given me an appetite for the first time in months and it helps me sleep so I'm sticking with it for now.

I would think going cold turkey would give you some side-effects like the achiness. Could you not cut down to half a tablet daily first of all??

K x

sandy40
13-03-11, 12:03
Thanks Sandy. I was having the same conversation in my head earlier, about what would be worse - obviously either of them would be devastating but it's funny how HA makes you feel. I often think if someone could hear the conversations I have in my head I'd be sectioned :ohmy:

Thanks for bringing me back to reality.
K xx

Wish someone would help me..lol..its just awful isnt it.x

kah
13-03-11, 12:24
Wish someone would help me..lol..its just awful isnt it.x

It really is chick. I just can't believe how quickly my life has changed, I am literally like a different person. I can't remember the last time I actually felt 'well'. I keep thinking that I'm going to be like this forever but I'm determined not to be, for the sake of my 2 beautiful daughters.

Chin up hun, we'll get better, it may just take some time. :)

K xx

sandy40
13-03-11, 12:57
Ive said this before on one of my posts..im on Facebook (alot:roflmao:) and im a different person on there..but my aches/pains) are ruling my life..did i have them before?? i cannot remember..last July i changed and its hell feeling like this everyday.xx

Pan9
13-03-11, 13:00
Hey,

As we've already talked you know my fear is ms. Today I'm obssessed with my sore back and prickling in my feet. I do think that it is just a case of being so sensitive and anxious that every little 'normal' thing that our body goes through we can attribute to our fear. My doc says my reactions to my own body are probably about a 7/10 at the minute. A year ago, if my back was sore I would have taken two pain pills and got on with my day!!

I'm sure you don't have it- like I have said, it is actually quite rare. You were asking about Claire Weeks' books...I have one. One of the things that she mentions is that the physical symptoms of anxiety cause 'patients' to become worried they have some sort of disease...she actually names ms in her book as the most common fear. This is because the symptoms of anxiety can be like some of the symptoms of ms.

Don't worry xx

sandy40
13-03-11, 13:14
We're all so different with our fears,i have aches/pains/tingling and if they said its MS then id be cool about it..thats because i know so much about it plus of course my little boy has it,so if he can deal with it then im blooming sure i could..i need to see my GP my lower back is so sore and my legs ache,im so so scared.x

Pan9
13-03-11, 13:20
I'm having a similar issue...lower back pain and pain in my right leg. It sucks :( xx