PDA

View Full Version : Wishing for a magic bullet

JohnBull
13-03-11, 22:07
Hi there

I've suffered from panic attacks since my teens, usually around holidays and other family-related activities. I thought I was managing my symptoms (read ignoring/denying for managing!) until I moved house around a year ago. I had a series of such awful panic attacks I went to my out of hours doctor and was given Valium.

After that episode I saw my regular doctor who referred me to CBT- but becuase my panic is irregular - but intense - I rank low on the panic scale and my CBT sessions finished without me getting much out of them.

Since then I have been paying for psychodynamic therapy, counselling in other words. It's really fantastic- I'm learning so much about myself and my past.

But the road is a rocky one. I have been having far more regular panic attacks than before - several a week, often at weekends. These may last for hours an leave me feeling weak, feverish and exhausted.

I'm sticking with my therapy as I think there's light at the end of the tunnel but I'm seriously considering going back to my doc to see whether there's any medication that can help me through the process

I know there's no magic bullet and that getting better will take perseverence, but some days I wish that all of this could be wiped clean away and I could get on with being who I feel I really am- someone who leads a panic free life. I've been that person before so i'm sure, one way or another, I can be that person again.

JB

diane07
13-03-11, 22:09
Hi JohnBull

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.