PDA

View Full Version : diazapam valium V Citalopram

honeyp1e
13-03-11, 22:31
Am just wondering does diazapam do the same job as citalopram ?
i no valium calm you down etc... and you can become very addictive to them and citalopram are anti-depressants but could diazapam do the same job as citalopram do ??

nomorepanic
13-03-11, 22:44
Absolutely not - they are completely different medications.

NoPoet
13-03-11, 22:45
Hi Honeyp1e, diazepam certainly cannot be used as a citalopram substitute. While diazepam/valium is a very powerful anti-anxiety medication it carries a high risk of addiction and if you do become addicted you'll have a very tough time coming off.

Citalopram takes much, much longer to start working and you do need to be careful when coming off it but it is NOT addictive. Also the risks of unintentional overdose are much lower with citalopram, since cit can be tolerated in very high doses (if you want to face some side effects).

Finally you should not use diazepam if you are badly depressed, as it may worsen any suicidal tendencies (I know you're not suicidal but I need to put that for other people who might read this thread). Diazepam is not an antidepressant.

Diazepam should be taken short term to kerb bad anxiety. It is powerful and fast-acting, but has side effects, and should be treated with respect. It's basically something you need to keep to one side for emergencies.

honeyp1e
14-03-11, 08:40
thanks guys i just thought valium would do same type of job x

Asha1979
14-03-11, 21:29
Hi as psychopoet said they are very addictive. They really should only be used occasionally in my opinion.

NoPoet
14-03-11, 21:32
In case anyone's interested, medical researchers have been working on medication for depression that works within hours and lasts for days. Unfortunately it's ketamine, which should not be used unsupervised under any pretext whatsoever. As soon as they find out why exactly this drug works so powerfully against depression, it will be a major turning point in the war against depression.

Asha1979
14-03-11, 21:37
In case anyone's interested, medical researchers have been working on medication for depression that works within hours and lasts for days. Unfortunately it's ketamine, which should not be used unsupervised under any pretext whatsoever. As soon as they find out why exactly this drug works so powerfully against depression, it will be a major turning point in the war against depression.

Oh my God I want that. Have to say I have a younger brother who is 22 years old, has taken alot of drugs throughout his short life, was addicted to heroin twice but has stopped that for now. At the moment he smokes weed all day long and has done that since he was 16. His newest drug of choice is valium and today he bought 100 of them. He took 6 yesterday. He is not depressed, nor anxious. He spends all day in my parents house (they're in their late 60's) and just smokes weed and now he is taking the valium also. I pleaded with him yesterday and today to stop but he won't listen. He just wants to get out of his head he loves it. He keeps swapping one addiction for the other and its like he is on a mission to self destruct. I don't know what is to become of him. Just had to write this down. My parents tolerate him cos he has nowhere else to go. He has no job just drugs.

NoPoet
14-03-11, 21:47
That must be horrendous for you. The worst thing is, he's so off his head on drugs he doesn't know (or care) he has a problem. Once you start finding out about peoples' lives it's no wonder most of us suffer from anxiety and depression.

My brother is badly schizophrenic although it is currently being controlled by drugs (after several harrowing years). Luckily one of the country's top schizophrenia doctors works in my town and he is my brother's personal doctor.

We've got so much to deal with on our own without taking our families' problems into account - but how can we not worry about them?

EDIT: When they eventually isolate the "cure" effect of ketamine, it will become the fastest-selling medication ever made! It's been in trials for at least 3 years now but they're still saying they need more data. There is a report dated 2010 which says the same things they were saying in 2007: that ketamine appears to have a "miracle" effect, but that it is highly dangerous to humans, despite its popularity as a recreational drug. The side effects of ketamine abuse can include psychosis and severe personality disorders.

So after three years, ketamine still proves that it is possible for severe, treatment-resistant depression to be alleviated. I just wish it was safe...

honeyp1e
14-03-11, 22:44
i just wish all tablets didn't have side-effects id be ok taking them then :)

NoPoet
14-03-11, 22:47
I'm sure we'd still experience some effects. That's the nature of anxiety I guess!

honeyp1e
14-03-11, 23:02
what about st johns wort ? bach remedys ?

Asha1979
14-03-11, 23:48
I tried St Johns Wort but it did nothing for me at all. It is for very mild depression/anxiety

Bravedart
18-03-11, 13:02
Hiya

I'd agree with Asha, that is for very low levels of depression/anxiety.

:winks:

Greenman50
20-03-11, 19:19
what about st johns wort ? bach remedys ?

I,m sure on the citralapram instuctions it says don,t take st johns wort with it ???....please check i,ve dumped mine .

Honeypie , my doc told me to drop the diazapam as the citralapram kicks in .

Really hope the citralapram works for you as good as it did for me , its just a pity it isn,t instant .

Asha1979
28-11-11, 15:05
Regarding my brother I spoke about on this thread on 17th march he died 10 days later from an accidental overdose of sedatives and narcotics mixed so Valium Xanax and heroin to say we are devestated is an understatement x

xhyperyogix
28-11-11, 22:39
asha, so sorry to hear about your brother. it must be very very tough on you justb now. love and hugs to you and your family xxx

hyper x

haz
28-11-11, 22:54
Oh Asha, I'm so very sorry for the loss of your brother. My sympathies to you and your family. What a tragedy. Unfortunately many people die from mixing herion/methadone with diazepam.

Again, heartfelt sympathy. xx

Asha1979
29-11-11, 11:24
Thanks guys yeah it's very tough so
Just upped my dosage citalopram today to 30 mg as it's too much to take the grief with gad thrown in the mix taking Xanax too till it kicks in xxxxxxxxx