PDA

View Full Version : Obesity and palpitations! Please help!

CJA09
14-03-11, 09:32
Hello
I'm 28 female and weigh 20 stone! I've suffered with anxiety and depression since I was 14. I'm taking 20mg of escitralopram a day. I've been doing so well with my anxiety and panick attacks however last few days I've been having palpitations frequently, noticing it many times a day :( it's really scaring me! I'm freaking out that because I'm over weight I've hot heart disease or gonna have heart failure :( please help me...

Pan9
14-03-11, 09:52
Maybe you should go to the docs...I got propanpol (beta blockers) which stop the physical symptoms of panic attacks- like the palpitations. Go and have a chat with them. When you feel the panic coming on, try and focus on your breathing...sometimes it helps to hold your breath for a little bit, like 10 seconds, then breath out really slowly xx

countrygirl
14-03-11, 12:25
Firstly being even very overweight does not mean you have heart disease- alot of it is genetic tendency and diet so if you have a healthy diet even if you eat more than your body needs and no family history of early heart diseease then even with your weight you could have perfectly healthy arteries. I know so many very thin and active people who have bad hearts - it seems that because they do not put on weight and can eat whatever they like their diets are not good whereas if you put weight on easily then your diet can be better than theirs!

For your peace of mind I would go and discuss your fears with your GP - obviously they will try hard to get you to lose weight they would not be doing their job if they didn't but they can also listen to your heart and maybe give you an ecg to reassure you.

I myself due to a thryoid problem and inability to exercise due to spinal injuries am 4 stones overweight and am trying hard to lose weight but I know all too well how difficult it can be so you have my understanding.

If you want to pm me about weight issues and maybe trying to lose some I would be happy to talk.

serendipity
16-03-11, 18:35
I'm the same. Need to lose about four stone and have thyroid trouble and ibs along with anxiety.

I have slowly started getting back into exercise as I was also convinced I would have a heart attack due to being overweight but have been getting there slowly. I still need to increase my activity but am not as scared as I was. Next battle is going swimming again as I have not been swimming since suffering with anxiety and gaining the weight.

I have decided enough is enough with the weight issue. I am constantly bloated and feel so uncomfortable around my midriff since putting it on. Do either of you feel like this too? I also think its making me quite depressed. The docs have said that my ibs and period problems could be associated with my weight gain so it would be interesting to see if it helps.

Maybe we can try and encourage each other and post weekly on our progress even through p m if you prefer. Be nice to be able to talk to fellow anxiety sufferers that are trying to achieve the same goals.

I am thinking how much more uncomfortable and unhappy I will feel when the weather gets nicer so have to do something.

Let me know :-):yesyes:

Seren

Ella_Jayne
16-03-11, 20:56
Right, if I was you I would have a talk to my GP, maybe have an ECG for peace of mind and take it from there.

Just because you are overweight doesn't mean that you have heart disease. As someone said above, a lot of it can be genetics and other factors as well.

I get heart palpitations everyday and I'm not overweight. It's a very common anxiety symptom and in general everyone gets palps from time to time.

Don't sit at home worrying yourself over this, go and have a chat with your GP and take it from there. Let us know how you get on. :) x