PDA

View Full Version : How do you cope being anxious and pregnant?

mica
14-03-11, 19:33
Im 22 and have just found out that im pregnant. Im absolutely terrified because I have severe anxiety that prevents me from going out on my own, and driving. I find it very hard to cope being on my own in the house. I also have nasty panic attacks which can last for 2 hours. I dont know how this will affect my health during the pregnancy and what sort of mother I will be. Any advice?

kate26
14-03-11, 19:53
hi mica i suffer with anxiety and panic attacks my anxiety started in my 3rd pregnancy after the safe arrival of my son i began to have panic attacks, im now 22 weeks pregnant with my 4th child and im finding it hard this time round as worry that im getting worked up and im harming my baby but i have been ressured by my midwife that my panic and anxiety wont effect my unborn:) try and talk to your midwife always be honest how your feeling:) as for becoming a mom its hard for any new mother with or without a disorder so dont doubt yourself at all i have 3 children and they are happy and content so dont fear you will be a great mum x

macc noodle
14-03-11, 20:24
To be honest hun, you really do need to discuss this with your GP and midwife to see if there are any support networks local to you that will help you through this.

I spent my entire first pregnancy in a complete tizz with panic attack after panic attack and was constantly at the docs for check ups - as a result my BP was always up way over what the midwives have as a max reading and I ended up being sent to hospital day after day after day and had to spend the day in there until my BP dropped - it was a miserable existence as I have an abhorrent fear of hospitals and docs etc etc ...........................

Anyway, to cut a long story short, 6 years later when I was brave enough to try for a second child, I was determined not to be as anxious this time around and did lots of relaxation, reiki and massage and kept active - determined not to have the same happen as last time and, you know what - it actually worked I had a lovely pregnancy (didn't put any weight on - just as my consultant had asked of me cos I was overweight and 40, managed a natural birth and managed to get home the next day away from the dreaded hospital!!!!) - there are loads of things you can do to help manage your anxiety through the pregnancy but you must not be afraid to ask for help.

And who knows, the pregnancy hormones may lessen your anxiety issues - it can happen sometimes.

:D

Good luck hun, it will all be fine and you will be a great mummy.

xx

Chriswebster
14-03-11, 21:10
Hey mica
An unqualified male here...
Just to say congrats and that for me, my two children (8 and 1) are the cure to anxiety when I'm going off on one. The love and bond you get with your child goes beyond anything you will have ever imagined and I feel that focussing on your child's needs ahead of yours - as mums do - will be a positive experience for you.
As I said - unqualified male, but if you take comfort from my experiences then cool!
Children are an amazing journey. It will be wonderful and hard and great and awesome and everything all bundled up. Focus on the excitement and not the fear if you can.
Take care
Chris x

mica
15-03-11, 08:45
Thanks for the replies everyone, I am just absolutely terrified and full of doubt. I can hardly look after my self let alone anyone else. I wake up feeling anxious and cant stand being on my own. I feel very vulnerable all the time afraid that something will happen to me. Dont know how im going to cope with all the body changes and scared shitless x