PDA

View Full Version : Pregabalin and Mirtazipine

SuziDusk
15-03-11, 15:34
I am currently on Pregab 150mg tds along with Diazapam 10mg qds, I am still finding my anxiety is still at a pretty high level. On the 1 - 10 scale I would say probably around 7, a lot better from the probably 12 out of 10 it was b4 I started on the Pregab. Anyway, having talked with my psych she has said that she is happy to put me up to the maximum dosage 600mg if necessary, but I was noticing with reading through the posts that there are a lot of people on mirtazipine as well. I was on them at one point but on their own and the only thing they did was to make me put on heaps of weight, but I was on a pretty high dose.
I notice that the ppl seem to be on a lowish dose taken at night, and the point of my post is wondering of people found the mirtazipine along with the pregab was helping so i was considering rather than having the pregab put up, trying a low dose of mirtazipine nocte instead. So is it possible to have any feedback on that before I ask about it as I like to speak to ppl before I try things. I am grand on the pregab I have no side effects apart from an initial weight gain but that is dropping off now,and I think that probably the pregab would be the better options, as I dont want a wait gain, but if the mirtazipine seems to help others as much as ppl have said it may be worth it, what do u guys think?? :wacko:

Miss Kitty
15-03-11, 16:48
Hi Suzi
I'm on 45mg of Mirtazepine and 75mg of Lyrica (pregabalin) twice a day. I don't find that such a low dose of Lyrica has much effect so I upped the dose to 150mg twice a day and that seems to work. I was also on Olanzapine but I've decided to come off it as I was having to take blood pressure and anti cholesterol meds because of the side effects. At that point I took a look at my daily meds as they sat in my hand and thought..."too many damn drugs". I find the Mirtzepine and Pregabalin is the most effective combination I've had in over 20 years of having to take antidepressants.

SuziDusk
18-03-11, 12:43
Thanks for your advice Miss Kitty, I have gone up to 450mg pregab I think I said,but like it was b4 I find the panic starts to surface about and hour and a half to 2 hours after taking it. I would have thought that it would have stayed in longer the longer time I was on it, but that doesnt seem to be happening. But having seen my key worker yesterday she is unable to increase the dose so I have to see the DR, I am waiting to hear from her on the phone today about another matter, so I will ask when I pick up my next scripts to see if she will put me up to the maximum dose or say that I have heard such good things about the combinaton of Zispin (mirtazapine) and pregab and see what she says. I am aware that the Zispin is really good to help sleep and I really struggle to sleep at nights, so even 15mg nocte would help I am sure. But she is not really one for adding more meds especially as I am on diazapam as well, she probably wont, so not going to hold my breath.
I am totally with you on the 'too many drugs' syndrome, at one point I was on citralopram, diazapam, homone tablets as I was going through the menoupause, propranalol for my anxiety and a multi vit as well, I really thought if I had the energy to jump I would rattle, so I was rather naughty and stopped the hormones as I had been on them for 3 years and I just wanted to see if I was thru the menopause and I was so I stopped that, the propanolol was doing nothing at all, so stopped that and my citralopram was also doing nothing, so that was when I went to the Dr and told him how bad I was actually feeling as I just didnt want to tell them as I didnt want to feel like I am a whinger and someone that just was pathetic. I dont mean ppl are like that its just how I felt in myself with my career etc and how I used to be. But they were fine with me and I told her about the pregabalin and that someone had said how good it was and although she didnt know much about it as she had never used it b4 in fact she still for some reason calls it a dirty drug, not sure what she means by that, but it works for me well will when I get the dosage right, but I feel I need that extra help at night as if I am unable to sleep that is when the anxiety really kicks in, and its a vicious circle.
So many thanks for the help and I will let you know how things go.

Suzi xx

JT69
20-03-11, 13:15
Hi Suzi,

I take mirtazipine and pregabalin. I started on 15mg mirtazipine a year ago went up to 30mg and then now currently 15mg again. Pregabalin I take 100mg at night and 100mg in the morning. One thing I would point out is the weight gain...mirtazipine is nutorious for that...I gained around 2 stone, have managed to lose a stone of that but it went on so quickly!!!

It does help with sleep though. You have to weigh up the benefits and I think it is much better to be healthy in the mind and able to live a relatively normal life than feeling like we know we all can.

Hope it all works out for you.

Jo.xx

sandy40
20-03-11, 13:22
Hi,i also take Pregabalin and Mirtazapine..i feel awful,not relaxed at all,i see my psychiatrist on wed so will see what shes says..after i take my pregabalin i feel my throat/earas are numb/swollen...has anyone had this feeling?? im on 150mg in the mornin/75mg at night along with 30mg Mirt..x

SuziDusk
25-03-11, 13:57
HI,
Well still just on the pregabalin same dose as before, but the effects have now stopped, no more wanting to sleep all the time, and no more feeling zoned out. Having said that I do find some nights I need to go to bed early, but find myself waking up at silly o'clock and in order to try and stop my head spinning and getting panicky I read, which is all well and good unless like me you are one of those people who love to read and once you get a good bood you tend to read and read for hours. This morning I awoke around 1.30am and read until about 3am, woke again around 5am and read again until about 6.30am and tried to sleep and may have dozed on and off, but was wide awake again by 8am so now its getting towards matchsticks for eyes!!! Its a bit of a catch 22 job as if I dont read I get panicky and cant sleep, but if I read I am just reading for ages and then only get a couple of hours, so I still seem to be tired in early afternoons.
I have decided that I am not going to ask about the mirtazipine as the weight gain issue is not one I like really despite me trying to convince myself otherwise. I think I mentioned in a post somewhere I would rather be on the chubby side and happy, than skinny and miserable, but there is chubby and chubby and I think the pregabalin is making me chubby enough so I dont really want anthing else that is going to pile on the pounds anymore than they are, so I guess I am going to just have to bear with it.
As I am under the mental health team at the hospital they offer acupuncture and I was considering this as a method of panic control and also for weight loss, any thoughts on this??? I would appreciate it if you could advise if you think it could be something that may help on both fronts.

Thanks all
Suzi xx:hugs:

sunset30
09-05-11, 16:43
Thanks for your advice Miss Kitty, I have gone up to 450mg pregab I think I said,but like it was b4 I find the panic starts to surface about and hour and a half to 2 hours after taking it. I would have thought that it would have stayed in longer the longer time I was on it, but that doesnt seem to be happening. But having seen my key worker yesterday she is unable to increase the dose so I have to see the DR, I am waiting to hear from her on the phone today about another matter, so I will ask when I pick up my next scripts to see if she will put me up to the maximum dose or say that I have heard such good things about the combinaton of Zispin (mirtazapine) and pregab and see what she says. I am aware that the Zispin is really good to help sleep and I really struggle to sleep at nights, so even 15mg nocte would help I am sure. But she is not really one for adding more meds especially as I am on diazapam as well, she probably wont, so not going to hold my breath.
I am totally with you on the 'too many drugs' syndrome, at one point I was on citralopram, diazapam, homone tablets as I was going through the menoupause, propranalol for my anxiety and a multi vit as well, I really thought if I had the energy to jump I would rattle, so I was rather naughty and stopped the hormones as I had been on them for 3 years and I just wanted to see if I was thru the menopause and I was so I stopped that, the propanolol was doing nothing at all, so stopped that and my citralopram was also doing nothing, so that was when I went to the Dr and told him how bad I was actually feeling as I just didnt want to tell them as I didnt want to feel like I am a whinger and someone that just was pathetic. I dont mean ppl are like that its just how I felt in myself with my career etc and how I used to be. But they were fine with me and I told her about the pregabalin and that someone had said how good it was and although she didnt know much about it as she had never used it b4 in fact she still for some reason calls it a dirty drug, not sure what she means by that, but it works for me well will when I get the dosage right, but I feel I need that extra help at night as if I am unable to sleep that is when the anxiety really kicks in, and its a vicious circle.
So many thanks for the help and I will let you know how things go.

Suzi xx

Hey suzi

I'm sorta the same boat as you can flipping sleep at night as thats whne the head racing starts. I am only on 75mg of pregabalin at the mo and might go up next week when i have seen the doctor. wondering if i should ask for zizpin for night sleep . The doctors given me something but ist ok but i'm battered all day so not sure if its the side effects of the pregabaling or the sleeper. Confused.com. lolx

sunset30
09-05-11, 16:46
Hi,i also take Pregabalin and Mirtazapine..i feel awful,not relaxed at all,i see my psychiatrist on wed so will see what shes says..after i take my pregabalin i feel my throat/earas are numb/swollen...has anyone had this feeling?? im on 150mg in the mornin/75mg at night along with 30mg Mirt..x

I was reading on a fews site that some of the side efects can be the above and it may not agree with you i confirm this with your doctor and look at the sheet that comes with your meds if your not sure. But it could be just something and nothing it might be worth checking out for piece of mind.x

MANIAC
21-06-12, 16:35
i am on olanzapine zopiclone and pregabalin and i have just been started on mirtazepine when i was in prison i used pregabalin to get high as a dose of around 600+ will get you the best buzz of your life and your anxiety will go and it motivates you and you love talking to people i am on 400 a day of pregablin but what i am saying is pregabalin is ****ing amazing for anxiety even depression as it speeds you up and makes you really happy if you have anxety trust me ask for pregabalin i wouldnt use vailum as they can make you drowsey and all benzo's are addictive and are only prescribed for short term treatment pregablin can be used long term. pregablins main use was as a pain killer but it got approved for anxitey so if your doctor says its a pain killer make sure you make them look properly that its for anxitey and epilpsey as well. i hope those of you that are paronoid use this and feel better..

hanshan
23-06-12, 04:48
Hi Suzi,

I'm on 45 mg per day mirtazapine and 600 mg per day pregabalin (male, weigh about 95 kg). The combination works the best for me of anything I've taken - still occasional anxiety, but manageable. It's worth a try, particularly as you still seem to be having pretty severe anxiety.

Take care,

Hanshan

summersgone
22-07-12, 18:31
Hi anybody willing to email me need a favour about the pregabs cheers

Margaret99
22-07-12, 18:52
I find it interesting that a lot of you credit pregabalin as being the main factor in helping your anxiety, rather than any other medication you are taking.

I have been prescribed it for CP for over 2 yrs now; my anxiety started 18 months ago and the pregalin does f*** all for it, but then it is pretty severe.

You shouldn't be taking it just to give you a high as someone mentioned, thats not the way you should be using it.

Unless you want to be on Pregablin for life be careful about casually upping the dose as it is very difficult to withdraw from if you have been on it for some time

hanshan
23-07-12, 10:44
For me, I noticed a big improvement about four hours after taking my first dose of pregabalin.

That said, it only seems to work on mild to moderate background anxiety. I have to give a four hour presentation/workshop to a group of professors in two weeks time on a subject I don't feel fully qualified for, and no amount of pregabalin can stop the bouts of anxiety.

Belleblue
04-08-12, 00:05
"it only seems to work on mild to moderate background anxiety" ..... that describes how mirtzapine works for me. I haven't found it helpful at all for major stress/anxiety.

Riley22
30-04-15, 10:39
I want to thank everybody for their input. I have been on Lyrica for about 4 years now and am on max dose 150 4 x/day. I take several other medications including Topamax, Tegretol and Cymbalta. I'll be starting Remeron this week so your input was invaluable. I gained weight on Lyrica too and am trying to rework with diet and exercise. It's hard when you hurt. I haven't been sleeping much lately. I was taking Geodon but had to stop bc I developed a rash.

hanshan
30-04-15, 10:58
Hi Riley,

Good luck with the pregabalin/mirtazapine combination. Weight gain is not inevitable, but you must take care.