PDA

View Full Version : Where I'm up to

W.I.F.T.S.
06-04-06, 11:46
On Tuesday I had a 4 hour interview for a job that seems like loads of fun: designing posters, organising fun days, writing pieces for their in-house magazine. The company is brilliant, they have their own football pitches, cricket pitches, squash courts, restaurant and pub! The people all seem really friendly. I'm in the last 3 and things are (hopefully) looking pretty good.

Ok, I'm not thrilled that it's 15 miles away from home- driving there I felt quite anxious and I almost didn't even go because of my nerves. I kept telling myself that I'm a 30 year old man and not a 7 year old boy, I can handle driving that short distance.

The interview was really long and thorough (I was there from 10 am- 2 pm) and I was due at work for 2 pm. i told them that I broke down though. They said they wanted to progress me to a 2nd interview with the UK chief executive there and then!!

This is the second intensive interview I have had in a fortnight. I had another with a bank last week and during that I felt like I was going to have to run out of the room. I didn't and I was really proud of myself for that and for going to the interview at all.

I know I've done really well whether i get the job or not. The thing that concerns me is that if I don't get the job I'll feel depressed being stuck in my current job, which I loathe. And if I do get the job I'm concerned that I'll sabotage myself by arriving late, not giving my all to my work or having a bad attitude. I have been like that before, but I guess what I have to realise is that even if I get the job I haven't 'made it' yet, I've just given myself an opportunity.

The job is something that i would like to do long term. I would like to commit myself to it and not act as if I am doing them a favour by turning up- which is something that I do to cover up my nerves.

In some ways it is as if I can feel a change waiting to happen in me. I'm sure that my current job is a big factor in my depression and anxiety- it's hard, physical work from 2-10 pm most evenings and at weekends too, which makes me feel exhausted and that I'm missing out on social activities. it will be a huge weight off my shoulders when I do eventually leave and I'd feel so much more relaxed and inspired if i could get the job I have gone for.

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

May Day
06-04-06, 21:52
Hi there

If this job is really what you want and you believe your current job is causing your stress then be determined to get the new job and keep it ... it's good that you feel so positive about the interviews and its always good practice to attend them even if you don't get the job ... lots of people come across as nevous in interviews and employers know that and don't usually take it into account so try and be as relaxed as you can when you go there ... if you feel the change waiting to happen then you can make it happen

Good luck and let us know how you get on

May

The brightest, sunniest day may follow the darkest, stormiest night ... enjoy the sun