PDA

View Full Version : Carpal Tunnel Syndrome confirmed

paula lynne
15-03-11, 17:07
:weep: So Rheumatology have confirmed moderate capal tunnel syndrome today...I have to wear hand splints and have steroid injections into my wrists...
Lots of blood taken, consultant wants to rule out thyroid problems (Thank you Jane C for the tip). Awaiting nerve conduction tests in a few weeks. Anyone here with carpal tunnel? Any hints and tips appreciated. Have to wear the hand splints in bed...very sexy..NOT! I wonder if diet and excercise help etc......Palps bad today and nasty headache, but did not panic, and only had one dizzy spell. Home now enjoying a cuppa. x:)

allergyphobia
15-03-11, 17:17
Paula :hugs:

I don't have any experience of this, but you sound like you could use a hug right now x x x Well done for being strong - you are such an inspiration, you really are. I hope there is some people here who can help you through, but i'm always here to listen and got your back missy!! BIG squeeze x x x x

nomorepanic
15-03-11, 19:58
I have carpal tunnel in one wrist and I used to wear a splint at night but it aggrevated me so much I stopped wearing it.

I felt too restricted so ended up taking it off every night anyway. I have never needed to wear it in the day though.

To be honest mine did get better over time and now I do get numbness in both arms/hands every night in bed but I have been told that it is my back causing that.

I am not sure if it can get better on its own but mine certainly is not as bad as it used to be.

paula lynne
15-03-11, 22:05
Thanks Ambers x
Thanks Nic, I wore them for a few hours, but they are so ridged that they are sticking into parts of my skin. I will put them on tonight and see how things go.
Had a giggle tonight, my 10 year old asked about the splints and I told him Im never allowed to wash up again, and that the consultant said him and his dad must do it........you should have seen his face, it was a picture...naughty mummy!:roflmao:

ditzygirl
15-03-11, 22:46
lol yes ur a norty mummy, but who can blame you!!!!lol

I am all for child labour lol

JOKING !!!:D

Hazel B
15-03-11, 23:14
Thinking of you. :hugs::bighug1:

Big hugs. x

paula lynne
15-03-11, 23:44
Thanks ladies x:hugs:

gaaron
15-03-11, 23:54
:hugs:Hi Paula I've no advice, but I've got loads of hugs:hugs:xx

paula lynne
16-03-11, 00:10
Thanks love xxx

nomorepanic
16-03-11, 00:15
Paula

I found my old post about it....

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13964

paula lynne
16-03-11, 00:28
Thanks Nic, Ive read it :)
I like the feeling off compression with the splints, cos it usually drives me so crazy I just want to sit on my hands so they feel normal. The consultant said its hereditary, and my dad has it. Also my mum was hypothyroid, and Im waiting the results of the bloods, but it was interesting that you mentioned your weight....I started putting on a lot of weight about 2 years ago, the same time these sensations began, so Im wondering if Im hypothyroid too? Mum wasnt diagnosed until her late 50s with hypothyroid, and my hair is getting thin. I blamed Peri-menopause for all these sensations, but the consultant dismissed that. Maybe it is hypo, have to wait and see I guess. Thanks for searching out your old post x

nomorepanic
16-03-11, 00:38
No worries - I can't believe it was 2006 !!

How time flies lol

paula lynne
16-03-11, 12:55
Well, I wore them to bed and they were ok I guess. My pins and needles and numbness didnt seem so bad upon waking, but time will tell, maybe it was my imagination. Anyway, will keep going with them, and await my thyroid function tests. Peace out, luv P x

JaneC
16-03-11, 12:57
Hi Paula :hugs:. Will be very interested to hear your blood test results. Do you have the splints on during the day as well? xxx

paula lynne
16-03-11, 13:32
Hiya Jane :) Well the consultant says to wear them intermittently during the day, on days when the tingling/numbness is very bad. I havent got them on today as its not too bad. Have to wear them at night though. Not conducive to a kiss and cuddle though haha x Im sorry, I know weve talked about CTS before, but I cant remember what you said regarding Hypothyroid....did you say you had it? x

JaneC
16-03-11, 17:02
Hi Paula, was just thinking it might be best to have them on if you're typing on the computer. My blood tests say I'm not hypothyroid but I have tons of symptoms and can never quite get to grips with why my thyroid is swollen if there's nothing wrong. I had blood taken today but not expecting anything to have changed :meh: and :hugs:

margaret jones
16-03-11, 17:08
Poor you good idea about the washing up :D take care hope you feel better soon xx

blue moon
16-03-11, 22:41
Just sending some hugs Paula,because want to...
:bighug1::bighug1:Love Petra xxx:flowers:

paula lynne
03-04-11, 22:20
Hi guys x
Had a letter from the rheumatology consultant yesterday. My blood tests have revealed elevated white blood cells. No mention of hypothyriod, which is what I was being tested for. He wants me to go to my GP next week and do a repeat.

I know elevated wbc is sign of infection. But WHAT kind of infection? Im petrified....I never thought Id say this out loud but...Im sure I have something deadly. Ive had a terrible dream since I was little that the age on my grave was 42....Im 40 now...I KNOW its ridiculous, but Im seriously upset today. What to do?

Mothers day...I miss mum. I guess Im emotional again. Sorry x:weep:

paula lynne
03-04-11, 22:54
Im emotionally and physically shattered. I cannot think straight. Im having a slow burn panic, so lavender, paper bag, and bed for me now. Id really appreciate some help on this one guys.x:shrug:

snowgoose
04-04-11, 00:11
Hi Paula :)
so sorry to hear you are having awful time :hugs:

dont think it will hurt to keep splints on when typing etc .... but it cant hurt either to give hands a break at bedtime. is it both hands ?

just want to send hug and empathy .........our hands do so much ......and it must feel very restricting .
stay strong love :bighug1:x

paula lynne
04-04-11, 10:56
Hi Nicky, its not the carpal tunnel thats bothering me, its the raised wbc. I will see my gp this week for a chat, and ask for a repeat test. Thanks for being there.x

allergyphobia
04-04-11, 11:21
Hi Paula :hugs:

I just had a bit of a google for you. I have had a high white blood cell count previously and they didn't even do anything about it! Taking out the scare-mongering options, this is what is left, look how many could apply to you:

• Infection
• Inflammation
• Trauma
• Tissue damage (from burns)
• Use of certain medications, such as corticosteroids, antibiotics or anti-seizure drugs
• Allergy
• Intense exercise
• Severe physical or emotional stress

iNFECTION could be viral or bacterial i think, sometimes we are fighting these things off without even realising... emotional stress, um yes i think so again our little white army are fighting. perhaps ask your doctor if it could have any relation to the carpal tunnel and the stress this is putting on your body?

Thinking of you Paula, waiting for a fbc results too and it's making me a bit angsty!

Lots of hugs coming your way missy :hugs: x x x x

paula lynne
04-04-11, 12:07
OOOh THANKS Amber x Seeing it like that gives me time for a deep breath to see how it may fit. Looking at the list, it may be stress. Im worried that its some sort of infection or inflammation though, I mean, I feel ok, is something deadly lurking in my body??? AHHH Im doing it again.......hahah. Going to ring docs now and get that repeat test sorted. WE are the angsty club then missus....some days its just not worth getting out of bed! Thanks for the hugs, your timing is perfect x:hugs:
Let me know how your results go ok x

paula lynne
04-04-11, 12:15
Just rung Gp, having bloods taken 10.45 Wednesday, less time to worry myself to death and have a nervous breakdown! Thanks to my friends who are helping me through this time, I appreciate you all x:hugs:

allergyphobia
04-04-11, 12:24
Yay I am glad you are having the re-test so soon Paula. That's only two sleeps away which will soon fly by, do you have any plans for the next couple of days?

By the way did you go to the fancy dress party??

Naughty Paula thinking there is something lurking. We convince ourselves we can *feel* something bad.. but i think what we can feel is our nerves playing up in our bodies making us feel all sorts of dread and strange sensations and making us "feel different"... but it's just that nasty apprehension...

Always here for you x x x

paula lynne
04-04-11, 12:33
Im going to clean up my bogging house and do some weeding x
I DID go to the party...it was great! Not a wobble! But too much vodka....threw up in an 18th century urn outside...then ran upstairs and carried on dancing! Hahaha. 2 other Madonnas there, but I was CLEARLY the best...hahahah. It was great, but thats me for at least a month now...forgot how expensive things are...drinks for 3 and £30 for the taxi.....still...I did it! My hubby was great..he said wed stay for half an hour and see how I felt...so that didnt make me feel trapped, I felt I had a choice. Stayed out for 6 hours! Dont think me and MR SMIRNOFF will be talking for a while though! x:wacko:

snowgoose
04-04-11, 17:07
hi Paula :)

just in so sorry havent replied before xx

yes ...........inflammation as we know can increase WBC counts ...........and your carpal tunnel in hands is bound to affect the count in your body I would think.
if the wbc was very high .your doc would have you in very quickly and investigate with other esr blood tests etc .
god I know the fear that grips us :hugs:..............please dont fret Paula ............get your nurse hat on my love and see it for what it is .
a wee virus or more likely tablet related or inflammatory response to your carpel tunnel .
hug xxxxx

paula lynne
04-04-11, 18:42
Thanks Nicky, maybe it is inflammatory regarding the carpel tunnel. Thanks so much x