PDA

View Full Version : Coming off Olanzapine - Help!

Miss Kitty
16-03-11, 14:46
I wondered if anyone out there had experience of coming off Olanzapine. I have been taking it (originally 5mg then 2.5mg) for the last 18 months. I have to take additional medication due to the side effects and recently decided this was just too damn much medication. I'm not psychotic (at my worst period I was midly paranoid but always aware that it was just a symptom of my depression) so my theory is I don't need to be taking antipsychotic medication. So I stopped last week cold turkey (yes, I know I should have told my GP, I will next time I see him). Anyway how do I feel? Lousy, but I'm not sure if it's the withdrawal from medication or I'm just having a bad week. I've already handed in my notice for my weekend job because I just couldn't face it any more and, if I didn't need the money so badly I would have also walked from my full time, weekday job as well. Last night I felt panicky and tearful and today I could cheerfully eviscerate each and every one of my colleagues (not helped by the fact they've all gone out to lunch and they didn't bother to invite me) so, hypersensitive? yes, angry and tearful.

Sorry to jabber on. Does anyone here have experience of this. Olanzapine withdrawal or bad week? I'm also on 45mg Mirtazepine and 75mg of Lyrica twice a day.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/nmp/misc/progress.gif

deepreason
18-03-11, 23:56
I don't have any experience of Olanzapine myself so no help there I'm afraid, sorry. I'm currently doing the withdrawal from some AD's bit though and can wholeheartedly agree with you that it sucks donkey bits :P

I wish you the best of luck getting through it as it isn't much fun not knowing how much of your curent mood is down to the lack of medication and how much is just you.

Edit: This might sound a little bit "band-aid for a broken leg" but I've been getting through a silly amount of essential oils in one of those incense vaporiser things and finding it really helpful. I'm hardly what you'd call a tie dye wearing touchy feely either by a long way! For some reason though having the room full of scented steam is helping keep my head clear through the withdrawal bits. I've been using: Eucalyptus, Tea tree, Lavender and Rosemary.