PDA

View Full Version : Fluoxetine

ames
16-03-11, 15:20
Hi
I have just been prescribed fluoxitine by my gp. I was on citalopram for about 5 years, and just recently (at the weekend) came off them after about 2 months of cutting down. My anxiety is really bad at the moment, getting worse by the day, but wanted to come of citalopram because I don't think it was working for me anymore. Is my high anxiety just a side effect of coming off citalopram? Should I just give it time before jumping to new medication? I am really struggling with leaving the house and getting to work, but fear losing my job if I have any more sick time!! I don't know what to do, I just want to feel better!! Has anyone any experience with fluoxitine? Is it really bad when you first start it?? I don't know what to do!!

JaneC
16-03-11, 15:54
Hi there, what you are experiencing could well be discontinuation symptoms caused coming off the cit. Not many people seem to be prescribed fluoxetine for anxiety but I have found it extremely helpful. The first time I started it I had next to no side effects but second time it was a bit worse (possibly because I had come off something else).

It's a decision between you and your doc as to whether you start a new AD or wait. Nobody can say how a certain med will affect someone else as it seems to vary enormously - sorry but good luck and feel free to ask me more x