PDA

View Full Version : scared of train journey.. please help

misskitty
16-03-11, 16:58
I've put this in two places asd i am scared and need help fast :( I have a train journey in a couple of hours and i'm so scared. I get these weird panic thoughts all the time anyway but trains are the worst.. just being locked in and alone. They wobble and I cant seem to get my balance.. I fear I am going mad because i feel so alone and cant phone anyone for reassurance either, its like i get scared they are gone and i am alone in the world.. does that make sense.

Its only a 15 minute journey but i am already close to tears :(

Yorkmackem
16-03-11, 17:06
I can identify fully with this, I have anxiety / agoraphobia which renders train journeys a nightmare - its the proximity of other people with no escape route that I can't stand. I usually deal with it by sitting close to a toilet which provides some form of refuge if things get really bad. I also try doing a Sudoku or something for the duration of the journey.

shoegal
16-03-11, 17:09
I'm also agoraphobic and can't travel alone. However, when I did last use a train I sat close to the door so I could walk to the loo easily and I felt better knowing I could easily 'escape'. I know it's difficult but try distracting yourself with a puzzle or something and try looking out of the windows and enjoying the scenery or whatever helps you. Good luck. :flowers:

joemac
16-03-11, 17:17
i had these symptoms for years and yrs,,i wud say try and concentrate on ur breathing,,big breath in ,and on breath out re-peat to ur self mentally the word CALM,,it did help me,,good luck

littleelse
16-03-11, 17:34
sit by the loo (or squat / stand), have a bag of grapes or something to nibble on to occupy your mouth which gives your brain/body something else to do and don't wear anthing that will make you feel too hot as this always makes you feel worse. Oh and enjoy your success when you get to where you're going because you will cope and you will get there! x

shoegal
16-03-11, 23:42
How did it go? Did you do it and if so WELL DONE! :yesyes:

misskitty
19-03-11, 17:16
sorry for the late reply but yep i did it. Thought i was gonna pass out but did it. The train was wobbling like crazy and decided to text my mum at every station to say where i was and how many left to go.. it seemed to work :)

thankyou all for your support

Eva May
09-04-11, 17:32
I feel ridiculous but I've agreed to take a quick train journey this evening with my boyfriend. It's literally less than 10 mins but that's 10 mins where I'm confined and convinced it's goin to stop :weep:

shoegal
09-04-11, 17:54
Hi Eva May. Will your boyfriend be travelling with you on the train? I know it's scary but if he is beside you holding your hand everything will be fine. Nothing bad will happen to you. It's just horrible anxiety and it can't hurt you. Stay strong and think how proud you will be when you arrive at your destination. You can do it. :flowers:

t0rt01se36
09-04-11, 19:07
I suffer from travel anxiety and even though I've travelled by terain a lot, I haven't done for a few years, becaause I have previously panicked on the train. Think it's the feeling of not feeling in control that I can't copev with and I don't like feeling closed in.
Since my last journey I have thought about all the bad things that could happen and I have decided trains are not for me

Eva May
10-04-11, 09:43
I did it :D ok I took a tablet and I sat in the corridor and the whole journey took about 6 minutes but I don't care cos I travelled on a train for the first time in 7 years :) The worst part was the entire time before it and then when the doors closed cos I immediately thought what the hell have I done? And why can't trains have windows that you can crack open for some air? But it really wasn't so bad after, going to try do that once a week and maybe build it up

misskitty
18-05-11, 15:43
well done eva may :) I have been back on the train a few tines but only ever the same journey, and although its hard I know i can do it as i've doneit before. I get so panicky at the station though waiting to get on, thats the worst part in some ways because i just want to run home. Stick with it, we'll beat this fear eventually :)

tweety
18-05-11, 19:44
well done you two you give me the will to try going on a train one day so pround of you both :yesyes:

Eva May
21-05-11, 16:52
Hi Tweety. Try a small journey first and just see that you can do it