PDA

View Full Version : A hell of a vicious circle.

Laves
16-03-11, 20:52
Hi,

I get sick a lot, two weeks rarely passes without me getting sick. Having had a recent blood test I know now that this is not because I have an underlying health problem (thank goodness). It is most likely because of the exhaustion caused by regular bouts of acute anxiety. The hold of this anxiety is intensified by my main focus, illness. In essence, I get anxious, become quickly run-down get a virus, get more anxious as I begin to deteriorate into a state of illness, recover and then anticipate the next bout of illness which leads to the beginning of the circle again.

One of the worst aspects of the vicious circle is that, for other people and often in my own reflection, my health anxiety leads to a position of scepticism about whether I am actually ill.

Another difficult aspect of my situation is my difficulty in demarcating the symptoms deriving from illness from those deriving from anxiety. This leads to a situation where I am unsure of how to respond to my body. Do I challenge the anxiety and do things normally

This would not be so bad if I didn't have obligations. I have to work, when I am sick and can't work, I don't get paid. So basically, my anxiety is directly effecting my quality of life. I am broke, I am missing work as we speak and, right now, I can feel myself getting ill.

I am desperate, how do I get out of this situation? I hate this.

Please give me some advice.

KelHumphreys
16-03-11, 22:49
Hi Laces
Have you tried CBT? I've just started an online course and am finding it really useful. I can be the same as you but CBT really helps. Do you live on the UK? Xx

seekingpeace
16-03-11, 23:40
Don't forget EFT - I put a link on that too. Here is what I do for myself and my kids. If you don't have a fever, you can go to work. If you are really sick, you will get worse and need antibiotics. Otherwise, your body when in homeostasis, is made to heal itself. Take lots of vitamin C for your immune system and fake it till you make it. Sometimes I have to "act" OK, before I feel OK. Drink Green tea - it's loaded with antioxidants. Put fresh flowers in your house to cheer you up-I think I read that from Dr. Weil. I hope you feel better soon!

Laves
17-03-11, 12:54
Cheers guys.

I think using the 'fever as a measuring stick' approach is a good one. I have to work later on, I'm really worried, probably just going to sit here and eat and drink good stuff until I have to go in. Haven't tried Green tea, I'll make sure I pick some up. As for CBT, I'm going to the doctors on Saturday to try and get myself referred for some. I've had two courses in the past which have been extremely helpful but they were for a separate set of anxieties. I'm assuming that with some more CBT focusing on this stuff, I'll improve. I just hope that I don't have to wait too long since this is extremely pressing, I have a bank account haemorrhaging money and I am starting to feel extremely embarrassed about my attendance at work.

Oh, and yes Kel, I am living in the UK.

blueangel
17-03-11, 13:30
Well, if you want my two pennyworth, I think seekingpeace's advice was very good about getting yourself into a mindset for going to work.

Honestly, this is so, so important. If we give in to feeling a bit unwell, we are doing ourselves no favours at all, as in effect we are rewarding ourselves for feeling ill - which of course will make it more likely in the end.

I work on the premise that if I can get myself out of bed, get showered and dressed, then I am more than likely going to be OK if I go to work. If my boss thinks that I am too unwell to be there, he will send me home sick - and he has actually seen that I am unwell. The problem with taking a lot of time off work is that managers soon lose patience with it, and in today's job market you really don't want to give anyone the excuse that they don't need you in a job.

I have to go through this scenario a lot at work as I'm a trade union rep - in fact, I've got to represent someone tomorrow morning who has got huge problems with attending work, and unfortunately I suspect that she's going to get the sack, as she's got lots of warnings already.

This is a mindset - and mindsets can be changed!

if you're waiting for CBT, for now try applying some of the ideas you went through before - after all, anxiety is the same set of feelings - it's just caused by different circumstances, so the principles work the same. I'm finishing CBT soon ans the guy I've been working with has been very clear that using the techniques is a life long thing.

Good luck.

Laves
21-03-11, 19:21
A typically hard-line CBT type response. This is all good advice though, I know that I need to continue to challenge my beliefs about what I'm capable of when I'm not feeling right.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me, hope your CBT ends well.

KelHumphreys
25-03-11, 16:49
Hi Laves,
How are you now? I'm still doing my CBT and it does work, at least it has for me, but it is hard when your in that moment of acute anxiety.
xx