PDA

View Full Version : Can irregular breathing cause chest pains?

Mark801
16-03-11, 22:18
Hey guys, hope all is well.

Just curious, when I'm anxious/panicky I tend to overbreathe which causes sharp/burning chest pains that really freak me out. I just wanted to know if anyone else gets this? It almost feels like adrenaline if flowing in my chest.

Afterwards, my chest is sore and tender and hurts when I breathe in. Thanks again, your responses are really appreciated.

scaredstiff695
16-03-11, 22:30
hi
i struggle so much with over breathing and yeah get it so bad on a morning cos I'm bad on a night. also if I'm out and I'm over breathing loads which i do then the cold gets to me and the pain is terrible x
hope you feel better soon x

Greenman50
16-03-11, 23:04
My Dr told me my chest pains are anxiety ...the muscles in the rib cage contracting . I think she said nccp (non cardiac chest pain) .I get them daily but just ignore them like i do the wife :roflmao: i also over breath at times , can,t understand why ? This anxiety confuses me as i,ve never had it before .....i can feel a very long post comeing on shortly to pick you guys and girls brains as i,m struggling to understand why i still have the symtoms even though i fell well (well almost normal for me anyway)

confused.com :shrug:

paula lynne
16-03-11, 23:19
Yes, hyperventilation/shallow breathing means you use all your intercostal muscles (muscles between ribs which extend to the breast bone) and so produce pain. Also, anxiety while overbreathing produces the adrenaline rush in your chest you describe, and adrenaline can take several hours to tail off. This is not dangerous, but now you are aware of why your chest hurts, managing your breathing during episodes of anxiety is clearly what you need to learn. Try the trusty paper bag Mark.

Mark801
18-03-11, 02:34
Thanks so much guys, I really do appreciate all of your responses. I feel much better with it but my chest is still sore to the touch and a bit tense. It's weird cuz when I panic, my chest and jaw are the two parts of my body that tense up.

lesleya
25-03-11, 18:40
Hi
Ive not posted for a long time but i know exactly how you must feel.
I totally sympathise with you ive suffered from overbreathing for years and sometimes its worse that others especially if im worried or under stress.
Ive got a chest infection at the moment so of course my overbreathings ten times worse (stupid i know) but its just one of those things.
Mines mostly caused by stress at work and im due to go back a week on monday after a short break off and all the overbreathing/hyperventilating/tight chest/pains etc have all come back with a vengance, and eventhough i know deep down its caused by anxiety but it doesnt stop me worrying its something else.
If i could have a wish granted....i wouldnt wish for money id wish someone would find a cure for anxiety/depression then nobody would ever had to suffer again.
Take care
xx