PDA

View Full Version : would really like some help today please

LisaLisa
17-03-11, 09:49
Hi everyone

I could really really do with some support today.

I have had a major major fear of having hiv for three years now and its been absolute torture which im sure is a thing that everyone here can relate too!!

I have had myself tested 5 times, one during antenatal testing when i had my daughter in 2008. The only time I could have been at any risk was in 2002 when i had a moron boyfriend and a belly button peircing done in a house ( by someone who did it for a living from his house) All my tests have been negative.

But i always have beleived that they are wrong becuase I keep finding similarities between googles hiv signs and symtpoms and thing that I have. I have seen a psychologist before about it and it settled down until this last week .

I have got a weird cold sensation coming and going over my knee. Also a really painfull burning sensation to the side of my thing just near the cold feeling thats comes and goes as well.

Im so so worried and upset about this. I just feel so low now.

Can anyone help me with this , even just to see it clearer?

Thanks loads

Lisa
xxxxxxx

bloxy
17-03-11, 11:32
I'm not sure about the symptoms you are experiencing at the moment but if you have had 5 negative tests and your last chance of being exposed was all those years ago, you wouldn't be wondering if you had HIV you would know.

Remember, HIV attacks the immune system so maybe the symptoms you are linking to the possibilty of having it are just due to you being run down due to the many common viruses that we encounter.

Just keep thinking the chances of 5 tests giving false results must be incredibly miniscule:hugs:

tinycritter
17-03-11, 11:39
Hi Lisa,
I went through hiv fear a few years back when my HA started and I completely understand how scared you are, but like bloxy says you have had 5 negative tests - the chances of 5 false negatives are infinitesimal, I am sure you're OK hon. xxx

blueangel
17-03-11, 13:43
Hi Lisa

I think I've posted to you before, but I've just looked a bit of information up that might help you.

Right, when you go for an HIV test, there is actually more than one testing process that is carried out to confirm a positive result. If the first one shows there are any HIV antibodies present (and the test process will pick up even the tiniest presence of them), then another test is done to confirm their presence.

In the UK, the test accuracy for a single test is more than 99.5%, so if you have had five negative tests relating to your "suspect incident" in 2002, then the chances of 5 tests not picking this up are so small I ca't even begin to calculate it. Your chance of winning the lottery in this country are 1 in 14 million, and I suspect that your chance of having HV antibodies after this time are about the same - being struck by lightning is probably more likely!!

My best advice is:

* stop googling
* forgive yourself for having a crappy boyfriend years ago - I lived with an alcoholic for 4 years so I know what it's like
* be kind to yourself!!