PDA

View Full Version : First time - please help.

Chris21
18-03-11, 09:03
hi,

I'm new to the site and would love to hear from other users about how they deal with panic attacks. I never experienced them until about 2008 but now get them like buses i.e. a few weeks pass without them and the wallop!, they all come at once.

I am on Mirtazopine 60mg daily, Paroxetine 20mg daily and I'm just about to start on Propranolol 10mg 3 x daily.

Any advice and help would be gratefully received as I'm getting close to my wits end !!!

One additional bit about me, I served in the British Army and was posted to Iraq in 2004. Before I deployed there I was given a mixture of injections but was never told what was in them. I'm not wanting to start a conspiracy but I never had attacks until a few years after I got back.

Chris

diane07
18-03-11, 09:05
Hi Chris21

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Bravedart
18-03-11, 09:09
Hi Chris

I'm in the same boat and on meds to support my recovery. Stopping the Panic is usually best done with experience of how your body and mind work and how you deal with them when they happen. They can't be stopped but its all about your minds reaction to them. It has really helped me to understand why I have them........ Not about why or where they come but rather why they happen and the impact they have on my body. Hope this makes sense? Did you have any traumatic experiences well serving? This could be a trigger rather than the injections?:yesyes:

Chris21
18-03-11, 09:16
Hi Bravedart,

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't want to go into too much detail but there were deaths by my hand. I suppose that would prey on anyone's mind. I'm getting help from my GP, an NHS therapist and a psychiatrist but the hard part is talking about it with someone who has experienced the same thing. I tried to talk to my dad about it because he served in Northern Ireland but he can't talk about it. There is a local support group that I will contact but it gets traumatic just talking about it.

The tablets help but I feel I'm on a very long road and have only taken a few steps.

Keep in contact and we will help each other.

Chris

Vanilla Sky
18-03-11, 12:19
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:
Paige x

Sekost
18-03-11, 12:46
Hi Chris and welcome there isa link on the welcome page to forums about PTSD on here and it looks really good. I am ex military so i know how your feeling however my time served didnt effect me as much as i was not in theatre that long.
Hope your feeling better soon mate.

StopIwannaGetOff
18-03-11, 14:18
Hey Chris,

I joined this site yesterday, the support is fantastic. I was told that people who suffer from these (poxy) things are very strong people? Makes me think that maybe we have them because we are strong enough to cope with them? I dont know. There are some good breathing exercises to do this helps. It may be a rough ride ahead, but thats what seat belts are for, buckle up, hold on tight and we will all get there.

Hope you feel a little better. x