PDA

View Full Version : Fear / Phobia - Is there a difference? &I have?

ashleyundead
07-04-06, 04:49
Hey. I was watching a show on phobias earlier today and the host said that there is a difference between phobias and fears. That confused me so much because I always thought that having a phobia was pretty much having a fear.

Later on in the show she mentioned that a phobia can mostly be associated with avoidance. So I was wondering if that's what the difference between fear and phobia. Perhaps I am wrong and there is really no difference. But I was just wondering if anyone could please clarify the difference.

I'm also pretty confused and not sure if I have a real phobia- persay. You see, my father has an extreme fear of spiders and when he sees them he freaks out, screams, runs away, etc. And for the past few years I've been the same way. Now when I see a spider I run away anywhere to get away from it, I start crying, breathe heavy, and at times I start hyperventilating.

So pretty much I'm wondering if anyone can clarify what the difference between a fear and a phobia is. And also if I have a real phobia because I am WAY confused.

a-little-room-to-breathe
09-04-06, 12:59
hey!
the major difference, i think, between a fear and a phobia is that a phobia is irrational and more severe. like im afraid of spiders, but i dont have a panic attack when i see one. however, i have a phobia of crowds, and completely freak out when im in one. i think that a phobia is when we have a disproportionate reaction to a trigger, eg spiders or crowds.
hope that helped!!

love katie xxx

"If I can wipe from any human cheek, a tear,
Convince one man that hope and heaven are near,
Create more joy, more hope, less pain,
And though not one shall know my name nor drop a flower on my grave,
I shall not have lived in vain while here."