PDA

View Full Version : depression? anxiety? hormones???!!

delightfuldior
21-03-11, 14:11
I go through phases of anxiety, I get paranoid, withdraw, dont talk, look through phones, emails, I get nose bleeds because of the tension in my head, I then get depressed because I cant stop these thoughts and feelings.

I sometimes think its all linked to my menstrual cycle because it tends to get worse with that. but I have had it at other times too.

I can go months without feeling too bad, still being anxious but managing it, then itll creep back and consume every day of my life and I just dont wanna go to work, wash, clean up nothing. Im now in the middle of a bout thats been ongoing since October. I think this is the longest in years.

Ive been trying to get some CBT through Turning Point (rightsteps), but theyve messed about and discharged me then taken me back on and cancelled appointments. Its just made me worse :wacko:

Im not on medication and Ive avoided it up to now. Im def thinking about it as I just want some respite. And I need to function properly in order to look after myself, my dogs, my job and my relationship.

Should I mention the possible link to hormones when I see GP on Thursday? Does anyone else get this? Ive only suffered from severe anxiety since I had a terrible miscarraige in 06. Since then Ive been a mess.

harasgenster
21-03-11, 15:04
Hi
Anxiety can be made worse by hormones and your GP will expect as much. If you have anxiety throughout the month, you may have an anxiety disorder, if you have it ONLY when menstruating but are basically fine the rest of the time then make sure your doc knows. PMS can be severe and life-changing. If your problems were caused by this then your doctor may prescribe something to stop your periods rather than anti depressants. It sounds like you are having anxiety throughout the month, though, at some level. It will normally get worse around your period, when you've got the effects of hormones intensifying it, but this doesn't mean it is caused by your hormones.

You should tell your doctor everything you can, as many details as possible, so that they can offer you the best options.

Take care x

StarryBlueGal
29-03-11, 01:14
Hiya,

I do get depressed when I'm nearing my periods. I also get teary easily, over some pathetic memories of the past. I also get deja vu a lot, and I had this yesterday as I saw something that I saw from years back, nearly 10 years ago, at a event. I thought I didn't see it before but memories came flooding back - foggy at first, and then become a bit clearly... it was eeriely similar to what happened 10 years ago. That scared me, and made me upset. I have told my mum about it but not in deep details. I think I get upset easily because of my periods but I do get anxiety as well. I am fed up with all of this and the new time of British Summer Time is not helping very much, but I will get used to it.

Starry xx

delightfuldior
30-03-11, 10:04
hi there

this sounds a little like post traumatic stress disorder??

x

silvanacolo
08-04-11, 12:06
Some women are more sensitive to hormonal fluctuations than others. For many women, anxiety issues appear for the first time during periods of hormonal change. For other women, hormonal changes intensify previously existing anxiety symptoms.

Anxiety is one of the most common symptoms of Pre-Menstrual Syndrome (PMS), post-childbirth, and perimenopause (the period of time before the onset of menopause). It may take the form of panic attacks, nervousness, sweating, intense fear, anxiety combined with depression, or other overwhelming symptoms.

Here are several periods of hormonal change that can intensify or trigger anxiety in women.

Puberty -- Developing girls experience hormonal changes as they prepare to begin their reproductive years.

Monthly menstrual cycle -- Often girls and women experience PMS the week before their period.

Following childbirth -- The severe drop in certain hormones following childbirth can cause dramatic physical symptoms and a temporary feeling of depression or anxiety; in some women, it is prolonged.

Perimenopause -- Perimenopause is the period of time when the body is approaching menopause. It may last from two to ten years. During this time the menstrual cycle becomes irregular as the hormone levels keep fluctuating, causing some women to experience PMS-like symptoms.

Jacs
08-04-11, 13:46
If it is hormone related, have you thought about getting a contraceptive implant fitted?

They can to stop or at least lighten your periods. I had mine fitted in May 10 and have only had 2 very light periods since.

Might be something to ask you GP about?