PDA

View Full Version : Wife says its poor posture,but not sure what to think.

looking4answers
22-03-11, 06:04
For the last few weeks..My neck has been feeling very very weird.Im not sure just what to make of it.. When I tilt my head backwards I feel like there is a knot in my neck,although I cannot feel anything but skin with my hand there.

I have asked my wife and she says she cannot see anything out of the ordinary except there is a roll of skin there .. I feel around my neck and it just doesn't feel right..Im not sure what it is but it doesn't feel the way it used to.

When I stand straight it kind of goes away but it does bother me a lot most of the day. I keep asking my wife about it and she says its from poor posture.She says I have a little curve to my spine and that is probably where it is coming from.She says its from years of bad posture.

Why has it just shown up now? She has told me over the years that she would hurt herself if she tilted her head the way I do for long periods of time leaning on one side looking at the computer and propping up.

I have worked on computers for over 20 years and have slouched and slumped over them all that time. I do prop up on one arm at times to read and work on the computer.

My neck has never bothered me before and its all of a sudden real noticeable lately. Is it that im just now noticing it or is it something happened to my neck?

Im afraid to go to the doctor with this and worried about it terribly.
How can I figure out what has happened? Is it perhaps really bad posture that has taken its toll on me? I keep looking at my neck and trying to feel for anything out of the ordinary but I can't find anything.She can't see anything..Could I just be paying more attention to it than it warrants ? Or could there be an injury or a aneurysm there ? Or tumor...When I press on that part of the back of my neck my throat hurts in front..I feel a little choking sensation ..Could all this just be tension or ?

Please I need input? Michael

Granny Primark
22-03-11, 06:41
I think your wife is probably right.
Ive suffered with my neck for years but that is due to a whiplash injury.
I dont know your age but my hubby keeps pointing out that im getting no younger and that as we grow older these aches and pains become more frequent.:mad::mad::mad::mad:
(hes a bundle of laughs as you can tell:winks:)
Go and get it checked out to give you peace of mind.

suzy-sue
22-03-11, 06:56
Id also agree with your wife Michael .You probabaly have a disc problem in the top of your spine .usual wear and tear that comes with middle age .I have three points in mine that are affected .Pop and see your Dr hun ,he will be able to give you reasurrance and maybe offer you some advice .You can help it by doing certain excercises that encourage you to retain a proper posture .But these need to be done regularly and will not undo the damage already done .Being tense and anxious will aggravate it .Apply heat to the area it will help relax the surrounding muscles .A muscle rub might help too ..The joys of middle age and bad habits eh ? Take care luv Sue x

paula lynne
22-03-11, 09:44
I agree with the previous posters Michael. This funny feeling you get when you tilt your neck sounds like compression problems caused by bad posture. You need to see your doctor, and in the meantime, try not to spend too long in one position. All the best!

Mic
22-03-11, 12:12
I think we can all feel like a knot in our necks when we tilt it back.xxx I can and I'm not worried always been that way.xx I think when our nerves are bad everyting seems bigger and worse than it actually is and we are constantly on the lookout for signs and symptoms, if you are worried visit your doctor may put your mind at rest.

Zee
22-03-11, 15:10
I also get a similar feeling.I saw a Physiotherapist ( dont do doctors)..She was a senior NHS physician, thorough exam and found shoulder impingement and tense Trapezius muscle causing neck to feel stiff..bad posture was the cause.

looking4answers
23-03-11, 05:08
Thanks to all that answered me..I think you are all right.. I think when I get tense or lay around it bothers me more than I keep busy.Today when I woke it didn't seem to bad .. I stayed up most of the day..My neck is just now bothering me a little since I have been laying around this evening..Im hoping what I was feeling can be corrected with some exercises that I found online last evening.. Its all posture related I think...I will start my exercises tonight and see if this continues if not then I will feeling better if it still continues after with these exercises then I suppose I will have to go the doctor.But thanks to all that wrote to me ..you all made me feel better.Michael