PDA

View Full Version : How long should I give a med before deciding it isn't working?

sarah1984
22-03-11, 11:45
Hello all - was wondering if you could share your opinions with me. I have been taking Venlafaxine since Jan 12th and my dose has gradually been raised from 75mg to 225mg. So far, I haven't noticed any significant improvement and I was wondering how long I should perservere with it before asking my psych whether I could move on to another anti-depressant.

Prior to this, I took Duloxetine for six months, from July to Jan. I kept going because it seemed to have worked for me in the past but in the end I had to conclude it was no longer doing anything. I'm reluctant to stay on Venlafaxine for 6 months without any signs of improvement.

How long would you give an anti-depressant before concluding it wasn't working? Any opinions & personal experiences gratefully received!

Downsinthenorth
23-03-11, 01:34
Hi sarah1984

That's a really difficult question to answer. I generally give something about three to four months before I think about going back to the GP or other professionals for something else. It's a bit of a balancing act - I know some drugs take longer to "kick in", but if I'm in a dreadful state I don't always have the time or patience to wait.