PDA

View Full Version : at the checkout

mirry
07-04-06, 12:41
Is it me ?
Today i went into my local charity shop where i tend to do well with my panics most of the time but today i picked up some brand new school dresses for £1.29 each, in total i had 4 items.

The lady was soooooooooooo slow that i started feeling wound up and couldnt bare to watch her move in slow motion, i started pulling the dresses off their hangers to try and hurry her up and even said ill pack them, but OMG she was terrible and even stopped to chat to another lady in the shop inbetween serving me, needless to say i paniced big time and my ears went deaf with pressure.

Last week my husband and I visited a tesco store in whitely village ,hampshire. I was delighted to see they had checkouts without assistants - A PANIC PERSONS DREAM!

All i had to do was scan my own items and press a button to say im done and it calculated it all for me and then i just had to scan my debit card and that was it id paid - AT MY OWN SPEED - WITHOUT AN ASSISTANT ! (BLISS).

WE SHOULD MAYBE ALL SIGN A PETITION TO BE SENT TO THE BIG SHOPS ASKING FOR THIS SERVICE, WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?

mirryx

Paddington
07-04-06, 13:04
i'm with tou on that one mirry!at least have them there as a choice!!Soz about the charity shop.Why dont we EVER speak up and say.'excuse me i am feeling un well,could you please hurry up' but we dont we just watch the panic escalate!!I think we should have a panic attack ribbon too ,so all the people who suffer with it could regonise each other,how bout that for an idea????love mary-rose.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

honeybee3939
07-04-06, 13:18
Checkout without assistants !!! That is a dream ! you can gaurentee when i go to the store, a item wont registar at the till and the assistant as to get a price! or theres a little old lady that just wants to chat to the assistant to pass her time of day!(nothing against little old ladys) when all you want to do is get out the shop! Hope they get the no assistant checkouts in my town soon, would make life alot easier !!!

Andrea
xxx

sassy
07-04-06, 14:24
thanks for this post mirry..i have the shop scenario every day!
today i went to alldays..again a very dithering person at the check out, so i snatched the bag from his hands and insisted i pack lol..he must have thought me so rude but how do we explain that we are going to collapse or scream if they dont get a move on!
the chemist is the worst..she packs so slow that by the time she has done it, ive eaten a pack of mints/bottle of lucozade and done a derranged style dance round my sons buggy!!
we need t-shirts saying 'IM HAVING A PANIC ATTACK CAN YOU PLEASE HURRY UP!'
or the petition is also a fab idea ;)
x

Spice
07-04-06, 15:08
Hi

I think I suggested this on an earlier thread about supermarkets but here it is again. My idea is for checkouts for folks with agoraphobia/anxiety just like the ones they have for 5 items or less!!! LOL If we weren't served right away at least the person in the queue would be a fellow sufferer. :D

mazz
07-04-06, 15:13
Hi there i havent been around for ages as ive got over most of my issues . Can i just say i was the same in shops and checkouts till i found the wonder of an i pod . Load music is a real distraction , try it . Hope that might help .

mirry
09-04-06, 18:17
LoL, so im not the only mad person in a shop then!

Today i took my kids in a shop to return bacon that was a week old when i purchased it, a lady served me and i didnt panic so i was feeling very pleased with myself then my son wanted to buy something else,
we then got served by a man and a few people lined up behind me and i then took a panic.

Do you find you cant get your money out of your purse fast enough, i feel like my hands are shaking and fumbling - its like slow motion.

Today we went in a petrol station and i went into pay whilst my hubby filled the car, once there i notised i was doing breath holding, no wonder i get such horrible symptoms.

ANYONE GOT ANY IDEAS HOW TO GO ABOUT A SELF SERVE PETITION OR TO RAISE AWARENESS IN SHOPS ?

mirryx

Piglet
09-04-06, 19:14
Wow Mirry - is that for real the do it yourself checkout, is it April Fools or something?????

Crumbs I could go supermarket shopping big style if that really happens - half the battle is the keeping distracted and busy, this would be fabaroony!!!!!

Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

desperate
09-04-06, 19:19
happens to me too....i think it's the queue aspect and the pressure etc.

i just say to myself if you do this sarah then you'll have done really well....lots of self praise....normally helps....or compose an fake text msg!! lol i do that too!

Sarah

mirry
09-04-06, 20:08
lol piglet, YES IT REALLY IS FOR REAL :D

I think we should phone tesco head office and ask how many of there shops have this service - I THINK THE NO MORE PANIC TEAM SHOULD INVESTIGATE and list results on here[:I]

come on lets do a SELF SERVE petition!

mirryx

Piglet
09-04-06, 23:33
<center>Piglet feels breathless with excitement at the thought of the D.I.Y checkouts and is now tucked up in bed dreaming of scanning things and pretending she has a real job, like the time she played libraries, stamping ladybird books with the potato masher.</center>

:D:D:D

mirry
10-04-06, 09:07
LOL PIGLET,
YES YOU COULD EVEN BUY AN OLD UNIFORM SOMEWHERE LIKE EBAY AND MAKE A BADGE TO WEAR WITH YOUR NAME ON IT.:D

mirryx

Piglet
10-04-06, 09:50
:D:D:D:D:D:D

ashley
10-04-06, 11:47
mirry

Bless ..funny you should say that love, but when you arefeeling awful and panickey the worst thing that could happen is a slow check out lady lol, and i laf at that but hay its so true isnt it..

When i go to town i whip around every where as if i was to be slow or wait around for too long panic will set in , i know exactley where ya coming from there totally love x

ash x

mirry
10-04-06, 11:54
ashley how long have you been like this ?
its been 4 years now and shopping still is nerve racking for me.
someone told me to say im pregnant and dont feel well when in shops to get served quick but i couldnt do that, why cant we just say im going to have a panic attack if you dont hurry?

mirryx

nigela
10-04-06, 12:06
hi I too feel like this-wonder waht makes us feel this way in queues ans want to escape?
Nigela x

nigela

ashley
10-04-06, 12:07
mirry
i have had anxiety/panic/depression for 20 years now, sounds terrible dont it,, but i have managed to control it in the end in the past.. this time round it has such a hold on me its a joke i tell you, mainly because i get nasty eptopic beats.
Going to town can be such a chore and ordinary people think WOT they dont understand do they mate,, and yes why cant we say im having a panic attack so please could you hurry... but hay mate we arnt excepted in society are we, F**ks me of that does.
I go round town like a friggin nutter in one shop and flying out the other, and if theres a masif que i leave as i cant handle the waiting bit,i start panicking then
Eventually i am hoping this will stop with medication which i nervosuly took , and threapy im going to start ..are you doing anything like this mirry...

ashley x

mirry
10-04-06, 14:28
Yes i have just started CBT, only done 2 weeks and am terrified because i have to do exposure therapy:(

mirryx

desperate
10-04-06, 15:32
sounds painful....you'd think they could come up with a better word for it!!

Sarah

mirry
10-04-06, 15:41
lol desperate, i know the therapist said to me we need to get you out there to expose yourself, then he realised what he had said lol.

mirryx

Munchkin
13-04-06, 13:35
i get this till thing too. I'm exactly the same. I think its kind of the same situation as putting someone in a lion's den and locking the door...our fear is just the same except we're not in a lions den, just at a checkout! i think it's the whole thing of feeling trapped in a situation we're not comfortable in.

The thing to remember is that we are not actually trapped at all...
I'm having CBT at the moment...I think i'm doing exposure therapy too! good luck with your exposure! ;)

no seriously, i mean that, i know how tough it is.
xxx

"A Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

Piglet
13-04-06, 14:29
I am exposing myself for 10 mins alone everyday in the front garden[:I]:D:D:D

Love Piglet xx

Munchkin
14-04-06, 11:40
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I am exposing myself for 10 mins alone everyday in the front garden[:I]:D:D:D

Love Piglet xx

<div align="right">Originally posted by Piglet - 13 April 2006 : 15:29:13</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

me too piglet! do u just have to stand there while exposing yourself?!;) because I have to pretend to faint and fall over (because thats my fear)!! so all in all, i think in terms on embarassment while being exposed...I win!!! :D:D;);)

"A Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

Piglet
14-04-06, 13:14
:D Yes Munchkin - you win!!!!!

The first week of exposure was being out there for 10 mins everyday but doing gardening or cleaning the windows etc. This next week its to sit on the step and have a drink and watch the world go by - think this is to get me used to not neccessarily being distracted by having a job to do.

Love Piglet xxxx

fed up with it
14-04-06, 14:40
I too, get this mine started after my daughters where born, when i do manage to go in the supermarket, i get to the checkout and this feeling builds up like im gonna faint and the longer you stand there the worse it gets, but goes quickly when i leave the situation, so fed up with it. what is the feeling down to, is it tension or adrenalin? like it too at traffic lights after a panic attack at a set!

c.lambert