PDA

View Full Version : What else could it be?

kah
22-03-11, 19:31
Hi guys,

I've been having some strange symptoms for a while which point to me having MS. I've not googled at all so am only going on what I've read on here as I know nothing about MS at all. However, I'm really trying to manage my HA and don't want to jump to the wrong conclusion (yet again!!!) but don't know what other, less serious things could cause the same symptoms. Just wondered if any of you guys have any ideas. My symptoms include:
*Co-ordination problems, i.e. missing door/cupboard handles, missing the gear stick when driving, missing the curtain when trying to close or open them, being unable to pull back the wrapper on a packet of ham etc etc
*Strange feelings in my hands - not pain or pins & needles, just feeling funny
*Soles of my feet feeling a bit tender/sore
*Pain behind and to the side of my left knee
*Pain in the muscle and bones in my arms

The above are not constant, they come and go apart from my feet which feel the same pretty much all the time.
I've been to see my GP who said it's just anxiety (again :ohmy:) and I really don't want to bother him again unneccessarily, any ideas?????

Thanks in advance
K xxx

pinkprincess
22-03-11, 20:13
Hi,

I had a time were i thought i had ms, and i had similar symptoms to you. i kept saying to people, i am not anxious why am i getting these symptoms, it cant be anxiety, most of the symptoms lasted over a month too, like dizzyness, my left arm would feel funny (hard to explain) annoying feeling like i wanted to squeeze it, i would get muscle pains in random places, feel foggy in my head, you name it i had it and all lasted ages, all until i calmed down and stop thinking about it,

i can totally understand why you think you have it or why you want an explanation as to what it actually is but the truth is, it probably is anxiety! if you eat well, sleep well (10pm-7am) at least! exercise and laugh! you will start to gradually feel better!! the most simplist things that can help, stop caffeine (gradually reduce is first) no alcohol, no sweetners and cut out bread! (random but yeast is bad for you anyway)

i hope you get better, good luck

kah
22-03-11, 20:22
Hi,

I had a time were i thought i had ms, and i had similar symptoms to you. i kept saying to people, i am not anxious why am i getting these symptoms, it cant be anxiety, most of the symptoms lasted over a month too, like dizzyness, my left arm would feel funny (hard to explain) annoying feeling like i wanted to squeeze it, i would get muscle pains in random places, feel foggy in my head, you name it i had it and all lasted ages, all until i calmed down and stop thinking about it,

i can totally understand why you think you have it or why you want an explanation as to what it actually is but the truth is, it probably is anxiety! if you eat well, sleep well (10pm-7am) at least! exercise and laugh! you will start to gradually feel better!! the most simplist things that can help, stop caffeine (gradually reduce is first) no alcohol, no sweetners and cut out bread! (random but yeast is bad for you anyway)

i hope you get better, good luck

Thanks for your reply.
I'm not too worried about the pains to be honest, it's just the co-ordination problems that I'm concerned about. My anxiety is fairly under control at the moment, but I know we sometimes don't feel anxious but our bodies are still in panic mode.
I would love to sleep from 10-7 but with 2 small children I've got no chance!! Apart from that I eat fairly well, have no caffeine or alcohol and a very little amount of bread. I'm trying to put it to the back of my mind but every time I go to open a cupboard and miss, my heart skips a beat and I start worrying again.
K xx

shoegal
22-03-11, 20:26
I am also having weird symptoms in my arms and yesterday when I went to pick up my phone I dropped it. I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia but I also wonder if I have MS (and I DON'T have HA)! PM me if you want to chat about it. I have found my symptoms quite distressing. :flowers:

kah
22-03-11, 20:29
I am also having weird symptoms in my arms and yesterday when I went to pick up my phone I dropped it. I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia but I also wonder if I have MS (and I DON'T have HA)! PM me if you want to chat about it. I have found my symptoms quite distressing. :flowers:

That's interesting because I have CFS and I understand that a lot of symptoms cross over between Fibromyalgia and CFS. I'm extremely clumsy anyway but seem to be getting much worse. It seems strange that all of a sudden I'm having these co-ordination problems. What other symptoms do you have to make you think you have MS??

shoegal
22-03-11, 21:30
I tested positive to lupus and other auto-immune antigens and have to have regular check ups with a rheumy. I have been told that they cannot rule out MS but they don't want to do an MRI scan unless my symptoms get worse because an MRI scan would be difficult for me with my panic attacks. That's not to say that they think I have MS though - just that it hasn't been ruled out. I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia with an ME element (whatever that means)!

Anyway, the symptoms I get are hard to describe! Sometimes when I'm typing my hand suddenly seems to stiffen and I get a sort of numb feeling similar to what you get after you've had pins and needles. I have an aching arm which feels weak and the sensation feels different when I go to use my hand. Sometimes when I grip things like a cup or a knife or whatever it just feels different, not quite numb but like the sensation is different and my grip feels uncomfortable and kind of spasmy. I also wake up with a completely dead arm sometimes, or pins and needles. It's been scaring me recenty to be honest in case it is something progressive, although I'm trying not to dwell on it.

Do your symptoms sound similar?

kah
23-03-11, 08:30
Yes, quite similar.
I have woken with dead arms too, although it only takes a few minutes until they feel normal again. I definately get the grip thing, I picked up a knife the other day but it was upside down, trying to turn it round in my hand was really difficult. It's the co-ordination problems that scare me - not being able to open cupboards and missing door handles, also when I go to grab something I will completely miss. I get pins & needles in my feet sometimes, although most of the time the soles of my feel just feel tender and sore.
Do you think I should go back to see my GP?

shoegal
23-03-11, 11:33
I'm not sure. I was told my symptoms were not severe enough to warrant further testing. If you go to your Dr they might do some basic coordination/reflex tests to help reassure you though.

kah
23-03-11, 17:17
I'm not sure. I was told my symptoms were not severe enough to warrant further testing. If you go to your Dr they might do some basic coordination/reflex tests to help reassure you though.

I've had those reflex tests which were fine.
I've noticed today that I seem to be tilting to the left hand side a lot of the time! Also I keep banging my shoulder on the door frame as I've misjudged how much room I need :ohmy:. Tried to get another appt with my GP but nothing til next Friday!!!

kah
26-03-11, 07:05
Woke up this morning and when I tried to get out of bed I feel over :weep:. The whole of my right side feels strange, I can feel it but at the same time it feels numb/strange. Co-ordination is awful, trying to open cupboards is a nightmare - I'm thinking of going to A&E, GP thinks it's absentmindedness, surely not?????