PDA

View Full Version : worst attack at work for a while

crazychick
07-04-06, 17:58
i've just had one of the worst attacks at my work for a while. It came on this morning and i dealt with it as i was being really positive and was so sure i was not going tohave a full blown attack. Then it got worse as te day went on til i was hyperventilating, unable to move, numb all over, my chest was hurting so much and i felt so trapped. it was my first attack in a month which made it worse and i could not deal with it at all and kept geting worse. i kpet using a bag but each time i stopped it got worse again. i came home a few hours ago but its still happening. why won't it stop? i just can't calm down and i don't know why and i just can't deal with it. what can i do?

india
07-04-06, 18:08
Hi, oh i really sympathise with you CC, Do try to calm yourself down, i know it's easy for me to say, but believe me i have been like you hundreds of times, and i know i will be again. Have you got any medication at the moment? I take beta blockers which i find really help. Remember it WILL pass. Try and distract yourself with something and remember we are all here for you.

Love India xx

wendy
07-04-06, 18:12
Hi
Sorry you not had a good day, When this happens to me (very often) I Try to distract myself First and often also post here mid attack, remind yourself that you will come to no harm and it will pass, you have coped with this all day and done well this attack will be due to end very soon,

Wendyxx

crazychick
07-04-06, 18:17
thank you. i take beta blockers as well - propranalol and i'm on anti-depressents which are great - they've helped me get thorugh a month without taking an attack. I take attacks loads and i thought i was used to them so i don't know why i'm freaking out and panicking so much but its like i can't deal with it even though i've had worse attacks than this before it just feels awful. my hands and feet are still numb and i'm shaking all over and i feel awful. i just wish it would pass.

Spice
08-04-06, 09:13
Hi

Hope that you are feeling better to-day.
My heart really went out to you as I could totally relate to what you were going through when I read your post. Anxiety can be a vicious circle and breaking it is so hard.

Take care
x

Dan
08-04-06, 10:40
hi
hope you are well today
i think when you have gone for a while without a attack they seem to hit you harder when you get one it happened to me a while ago had not had one for maybe 2 months then out of the blue wham and it took me ages to believe it was not certain death fortunately i dont tend to last all day that must be awful however that was yesterday and today you WILL be fine
Dan

crazychick
08-04-06, 11:03
thanks everyone. i still feel awful but i think i am just panicing even more now as i'm scared of it happening again and because it was the first one for such a long time and it was so bad what will the next one be like.
i'm sorry if people think i'm being a drama queen but i just can't deal with this just now. i had to call in sick to work and i'm never off work with this i normally deal with it at work and then go back to what i was doing so even though my attacks are so much less often they are worse when they do happen. is this normal?

Lylakwine
08-04-06, 16:27
Poor you, i know exactly how you feel hun. I think the problem is the fact that you have had medication that has helped you, and you almost then expect not to have symptoms at all. Because you haven't had an attack for a month, it has come out of the blue and suprised the hell out of you. You really do almost forget how to cope with an attack!! But you will be fine, I promise. You have got through the last two day, yes, they haven't been good days, but you are still here to tell the tale!! Well done you, I think that you have done sooooooooooooo well :D. Keep up the good work, if you ever feel that you wanna talk more, then pm me anytime! Love Lyla xx

Lylakwine
08-04-06, 16:41
Poor you, i know exactly how you feel hun. I think the problem is the fact that you have had medication that has helped you, and you almost then expect not to have symptoms at all. Because you haven't had an attack for a month, it has come out of the blue and suprised the hell out of you. You really do almost forget how to cope with an attack!! But you will be fine, I promise. You have got through the last two day, yes, they haven't been good days, but you are still here to tell the tale!! Well done you, I think that you have done sooooooooooooo well :D. Keep up the good work, if you ever feel that you wanna talk more, then pm me anytime! Love Lyla xx

jackie
08-04-06, 19:34
crazy chick have you read claire weekes book self help for your nerves on how to overcome the fear of this.

it is not to fear its coming but almost to say , ok come on, do your worst for you cannot harm me. it is the only way, to loose your fear of them and not to try to control them once they came. t stop your fight with them . to float past them, to accept them and not fear them. to not care if they come or not

extremely hard i know believe me, i am still trying to conquer this book. but it works when i do

this book should be in everyones list. do you have it

jackie

crazychick
09-04-06, 10:30
thanks guys. i just feel like i am a complete failure that my attack was one of the worst i've had. surely they should get easier to deal with not worse? i'm worried as wel as i done so well and got so far without having an attack - what if another one comes on in next week or two and i can't make it to a month again. these attacks are so hard to deal with.
i got in such a state during it and i really thought it was passing and i gradually got worse and worse til i was gasping for breath and then wheezing as hyperventilating can slightly affect my asthma as well. i just wish it didn't happen as i'venlet myself and everyone down - veryone thought i was doing well and i'm not.