PDA

View Full Version : Sexual side effects - Paroxetine 20MG

Poegle
23-03-11, 18:05
Hi everyone,

I would like some advice on Paroxetine concerning sexual side effects. I have been on Seroxat since November and have been experiencing a few problems. My main problem is not being able to reach orgasm, so far I have only been able to reach through masturbation but not with my girlfriend who is a bit concerned, understandably.

I do not know what to do as it is really hard to reach orgasm, and very frustrating for myself and my partner. I always have sex drive and no problems in erection, just I can go on forever and eventually get too tired to carry on. I find quite a lot too that if I have not ejaculated in a few days I feel like I am going to right after I urinate, and sometimes feel like I am going to ejaculate at random times if I have not recently.

If I do ejaculate the manner in which I do has changed also, its almost like I have double ejaculations...but the first one doesnt have an orgasm and I have to power through to actually reach orgasm - is this normal?

I saw the doctor today and said about this and his only advice was not to lower the dosage, either up it or change medication. In the end he told me to change to Citalopram 20mg from tomorrow and to stop taking Paroxetine.

I am a little concerned about this as I have experienced the withdrawal effects after going cold turkey for a few day over christmas and would never like to experience that again! Then theres the possibility switching meds could just have the same result with orgasm anyway!

Has anyone any advice on this matter? Should I just try and get through this somehow? The tablets are wonderful for my anxiety and OCD other than this side effect.

Very embaressing but thanks in advance for any advice/help I really appreciate it!

JaneC
24-03-11, 00:24
Hi Poegle :welcome: to NMP. Tough question and I'm not going to be a lot of help but just to say I think you should be very cautious about a straight swap of ADs like that. I suppose you could give it a try but be prepared to go back on the paroxetine and taper slowly if need be. Also, a lot of people seem to complain about sexual SEs with cit. I wonder if you would consider asking for a referral to a psychiatrist, who should have much better knowledge of ADs than a GP? Hope you find an answer x

haz
24-03-11, 01:23
Hi,

I'm female and was on Seroxat for 14 years. Could (eventually) reach orgasm on 20mg but not on 30mg. Never been on Citalopram but could orgasm no problem on escitalopram 10 and 15mg. I'm now on Sertraline 50mg and whilst not impossible, not always achieveable either!

When I switched from Seroxat to escitalopram my psychiatrist cross-tapered me. i.e lowered my dose of Seroxat gradually, then started me on a low dose of escitalopram at the same time. I was really surprised at how easy it was. I expected it to be like coming off heroin or something after being on it for 14 years. I must add, this was done when I was an inpatient in hospital. I don't think you'll have any problems going from one SSRI to another.

Good Luck.

Poegle
28-03-11, 17:18
Thanks for the replies, and sorry for my late reply also.

I decided to stick with Seroxat after not liking the idea, and over the last few days I have felt quite bad. I dont know about anyone else but I keep getting waves of side effects coming back as if I first started taking them. I constantly yawn and if I am standing while yawning I feel like my legs are going to give way. I seem to be getting knocked out by seroxat also, I cant stop sleeping!

My aunt who is a nurse and has many patients on SSRI's said its quite safe to change from one to another as they work in pretty much the same way, and if need be to mix the medication on alternate days to ease the body into the change. She said it shouldnt be anything like the time I went cold turkey, and it seems Seroxat isnt agreeing with me...

Ugh lol