PDA

View Full Version : Depersonalization or depression?

daydreamer
23-03-11, 20:59
Hey.

Been suffering with bad anxiety for just over a year now. Last yr I was able to cope with the anxiety almost because with that anxiety I still had hope. Ive had what I thought was depersonalization since new yr 2011, but now Im not sure if its some type of depression or something because I feel hopeless? I seem to want to burst into tears all the time, although I manage to stop myself.

Im so sensitive to all the bad stuff thats happening in the world and sometimes cannot watch or hear the news because of it. I get scared when I hear a police siren, it automatically makes me think of something bad happening to one of my family members in particular my parents.

The derealization makes me stare into space half the time, constant thoughts of things just not looking right therefore something bad must be happenning?! Its much worse in grey hazy or bright sunny weather and when its bad it just makes me want to stay inside and hide with the curtains closed. Its a chore to get myself to go for a daily walk or to the shops but I force myself. Im feeling hopeless basically.

Last yr I had therapy and became hopeful, but as time goes by Im feeling more and more hopeless. So is this depression? I used to wake in the mornings feeling hopeful, now I dread getting up. I dont sleep or eat excessively or anything like the symptoms of depression Ive read about, but I just have this awful feeling that something bad will happen. I feel sad, I want to cry.

Bad things are happening all the time and I feel like im tuned into them, kinda makes me feel like Im going a bit mad.......... am I? I look at everyone and think that deep down they must feel like I do too, but they are still smiling and acting normally?! So rationally I know that they dont feel like I do, its all in my head. Why wouldn't you feel like this when so many bad things are happening?! Is it just me thats thinking these thoughts cause of anxiety/depression? Ive tried everything to pull myself out of this rut, I feel awful to be fair and feel like Im not far from losing it! So what can help, if anything?

phil06
23-03-11, 22:34
In my experience suffering long term depersonalization makes me feel depressed as I don't feel I can enjoy things to the same potential.

And yes lack of motivation or feeling nothing helps is normal but not always helpful to label it as you have depression.

Once the anxiety eases you should feel happier.

daydreamer
24-03-11, 13:08
yep when the anxiety eases I will feel happier thats a given, except I have had the anxiety for a year now and feel like its never going to ease! Im getting fed up of waiting for the anxiety to ease, Im sure you know how I feel Phil06! Derealization is horrid :weep:

daydreamer
28-03-11, 19:49
QUESTION for you guys that have suffered with Derealization: How long did yours last for and how did you overcome it? (with meds, therapy, time?!)

I forced myself to go out today eventhough I soo didn't want to. I couldn't go for my usual walk on the beach because I knew it would be too sunny and I have an issue with the light at the moment! So I had to take my prescription to the chemist and go do some shopping, the journey was horrid and I just about kept myself together. Then I realised I'd forgotten to get milk and so I went all the way back to the shop to find they were all out of milk. I stressed at this point knowing we'd have to drive to the other shop which is a few miles away. Everything I did today I was capable of doing by myself with little anxiety a few weeks ago and yet now it feels like climbing everest to do the simplest of things because of terrible derealization. I feel like Im in another world or something!!

I also find that its putting me off my food... I have no appetite and when I eat it just doesnt seem to have any taste and I feel full almost instantly, I guess thats just the anxiety?

This weather really isnt helping either, I dont like it being too bright as I feel spacey and the evening fog/mist makes me feel claustrophobic. To top it off we now have longer light evenings......... I just want to crawl into bed and hide :unsure:

(Just realised I have moaned about almost everything there..... Hmm wait a minute Im sure I can find something else to complain about :winks:)