PDA

View Full Version : Is this my health anxiety or something else???

JaneS
24-03-11, 17:03
Hi there
Not posted for a couple of months - was doing really well with my health anxiety until this pain under right ribs (have had on/off for 3 years) and burping has recently got even worse. When I first started with the symptons, I was referrred by Gastroentorologist for a gastroscopy in March 2008 - all fine. Have also had 2 ultrasound scans to check gallbladder, liver pancreas etc. - all fine. Have had blood tests for liver - all fine. Earlier this year, I went back to Doc's to tell him I was still suffering with pain and burbing etc. and asked to be referred back to a consultant surgeon in the Gastro unit. Doc tried to reassure me that he thought there was nothing sinister going on but would refer me again anyway. Went to see the consultant who felt my stomach, looked at previous test results and said that he really thinks there is nothing wrong with my insides and the problem is muskulo-skeletal? He didn't seem unduly concerned about the burping/heartburn etc. Went back to see my GP (as am sure I have a hiatal hernia according to Dr Google!) GP has said that he really does not think I need to go for any more tests or repeat the Gastroscopy as 3 years is quite recent and has put me back on Omeprazole 10mg long term dose.
Am worrying myself sick now that they may be wrong - how many health professionals do I need to see to be convinced, is this my ridiculous anxiety playing up again? GP understands that I am a big worrier and is referring me to the chronic pain clinic (as consultant suggested).
Have also been seeing a Chiropractor who has worked wonders with the pain under rib - not been for 3 weeks and all flared up again.
How do I accept that what I am being told is true and that there is no need to put myself through more invasive tests!!! How can I stop this viscious circle - can anyone help please?? I am driving myself to distraction. Have just booked a holiday to Tenerife with my sister in April and am panicking now about going in case I am ill. Just want to get on with my life and try and enjoy it.
Sorry this is such a long post but I don't know what to do.:weep:

Candystarrstarr
24-03-11, 22:41
Hi if it makes u feel any better I get this alot, well I used too and it used to really worry me I was convinced I had stomach ulcers and hernias!! But I now know it was just stomach acid because I was stressing all the time about all my health concerns I was over producing causing alot of sharp pain and discomfort, as soon as I excepted that was all it was it improved greatly over time! I now reconise that I get it when I'm stressed which puts my mind at rest that it is just because I'm a bit stressed and nothing worse! :-) hope this helps!! Just let your mind accept it is just excess stomach acid I am 100% sure it is as I was exact same as u! X

Greenman50
25-03-11, 08:51
Loads of people get burping / heartburn me included . My Dr says with me any anxiety goes straight to my Stomach . I can bring heartburn and gurgling on within minutes of stressing over something . A deep breath , and doing something relaxing usually stops it up to a certain extent now .
Have a good holiday it sounds just what you need .

JaneS
25-03-11, 09:45
Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate that. I am sure you are both right in suggesting it is acid in the stomach - even the Doc mentioned that anxious people produce more! Just need to learn to have faith in the Docs etc. - I take a lot of convincing and I am sure that is not unusual either in people like us?? I am sure if it was anything to be concerend about he would have sent me for another gastroscopy.

emmawalton
25-03-11, 14:33
I have been getting pain also under my right rib and side this is worrying me sick and making my anxiety levels sky high, i just want to be able to relax.

JaneS
25-03-11, 17:29
I can sympathise with you, it drives me mad too but I have been told it's to do with the muscles that go around the ribs and nothing more sinister. Have you been to the Doctor? What does he say? Mine said from the outset he didn't think it was anything to worry about but I drove myself mad looking for answers. In fact several Doctors and 2 consultants have told me it's nothing serious and still I am not convinced. Think I have now got myself if such a state worrying about it that I have brought on acid in the stomach, hence the burping!! Anxiety can have such a powerful effect on the mind - am looking to go to see a Hynotherapist now.