PDA

View Full Version : Getting better :)

miss-frustrated
24-03-11, 18:02
After 5 weeks of taking Sertraline, i have really noticed how i have progressed. I feel up beat and the anxiety is minimal.
It was only a week ago where one minute i would be happy and then the next i would feel crap and actually thought about coming off them as i didnt think they were helping but now i am noticing that im starting to have alot of good days and feel more motivated in what i do.
Im glad i stuck with them as i am finding things alot easier.

I am also on Propendol (beta Blocker)...i am thinking about weaning myself off them as i have noticed my hair around my hair line is thinning out and im worried my hair line is receeding..i googled it and apparently that is one of its side effects, my hair started thinning last year and i began taking the beta blocker last year in April..hair loss started in Sept..i normally have very thick hair so im not sure. :S

daybyday
24-03-11, 18:07
Do you take the Propanalol for racing heart. I'm thinking about it, but the side effects scare me. Last time I took Atenelol also a beta blocker it slowed my heart too much

miss-frustrated
24-03-11, 18:30
Yeah im taking it for racing heart, it does work really well but some of the side effects i got was feeling a bit faint if getting up quickly..my hands, feet and nose are cold and i would feel a bit sluggish but it stopped my tremours or whenever i was shaking with the anxiety, it does make you dream but when you have been on it for a while, the side effects go.

I find i can still go and do exercise with no problem but again if you are sitting down, just be careful not to get up too quickly..i have to say i havent fainted since i have been on them which i was worried would happen.

daybyday
24-03-11, 18:35
Without the beta blocker, how much did your heart race and how long, how fast.

bajope
24-03-11, 18:44
Hi Missf~

When you started taking the sertraline were you pretty much already functional? I stared 14 days ago. I'm only on 25mg and haven't really noticed any difference. I was having trouble functioning when I started them and have improved very little. I know I need to increase my dose but feel scared to b/c of increased side effects. Did you ever feel any depersonalization as a s/e? So Glad to her you're feeling better. Gives me hope :)

Daybyday ~ Where in the US to you live? I'm in Southern California.

daybyday
24-03-11, 18:53
I'm in Michigan.
Good to meet another usa person.

bajope
24-03-11, 18:58
Nice to meet you as well. My mom was from Detroit.

Are you taking Sertraline/zoloft? If so, how have you done on it?

daybyday
24-03-11, 19:08
Only on very small amount of Clonazepam. It really doesn't help, so my psychiatrist will help me wean off. I'm at .25 mg a day divided into am and pm.
And with a new counselor just starting.
Can't handle the side effects of ssri's.

jaynemarie
25-03-11, 08:58
its great to hear that you are doing so well, gives me a lift to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am on my 8th day today so still feeling pretty crap, but another day nearer getting better x

miss-frustrated
26-03-11, 13:38
Hiya

I was on citalopram before hand which worked for my mood but didnt help the anxiety whatsoever and my heart would race before i was put on propendol, it would go so fast that i just thought i was going black out (that was mainly in social situations like when i went on a first date, i had the worst panic attack ever) I didnt see him again after that so it was probably a blessing.. he must have been a bit shallow anyway.
I then started the propendol which really worked but then eventually it wore off so i went back to my doctor to see what she would suggest to do, and thats when she put me on Sertraline. At first i thought they were hopeless for my anxiety but now..i can actually do the things i like to do and feel so much better, i was on 160 mg of propendol but now i find i dont need to take so much of it now as the Sertraline is helping so i only take 80 mg of Propendol.
I was quite functional before taking Sertraline but i didnt go out as much and see friends and stayed in my room watching tv or playing computer games..i would still go to work but that was all i really did..and i would stay in bed all day at the weekend but now i have been going to the gym with my friends and doing zumba classes and organising weekend get togethers and its nice to finally feel like me again.
JayneMarie..Thanks :) yeah it takes time, around that time i was feeling rubbish and didnt know whether i was coming or going..i actually thought about coming off them as i thought they were making me worse but eventually i picked up and noticed i was starting to get more good days.. the side effects wore off too. Its nice that they have a site like this so we can all share our problems and its good to know we are all in the same boat :) x

Lizzyg
27-03-11, 12:11
So glad you are feeling better, Sertraline really does work!
I have now been on for 6 weeks. Last week I really started to feel better, even went to the pub last night! Anxiety symptoms still there a bit but I dont worry about it now so they don't get out of control.
Just hope it lasts!